Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Hisense 55H9908 55" H9908 ULED (Like QLED) [Android TV, 120Hz, Wide Gamut, Dolby Vision] - $498 [HOT!], $479 [REFURB]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2019 7:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10327 posts
10462 upvotes

[Walmart] Hisense 55H9908 55" H9908 ULED (Like QLED) [Android TV, 120Hz, Wide Gamut, Dolby Vision] - $498 [HOT!], $479 [REFURB]

redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 10:56 pm
Someone at Walmart saw this thread and reset the price $100 north.

$598 is still warm.

Would I still recommend this TV?

Put it this way: buy and try, folks.

You hate it, return it to Walmart in-store, come back here and let me know I'm wrong.
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 10:44 pm
Now folks, it may be time for a brisk night time run:

>> Hisense 55" H9E Plus (Certified Refurbished) for $479.98 @ FactoryDirect.ca

Remember FD doesn't do refunds, only store credits... unless it doesn't work properly, then possibly a return may go through.

Full Disclosure: I don't buy from FactoryDirect, nor have I bought from them in many years... for the above reason.
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 12:35 am
Hisense H9E
• Dolby Vision and HDR10
• Motion Rate 240 (120Hz Native)
• 4K Upscaler and Local Dimming
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 11:00 pm
Negatives I've researched:
(1) Mediocre WiFi
(2) Wide gamut color HDR is not QLED bright
RFDer Reviewers
Mcmurphies wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 10:04 pm
Just FYI, this tv (Hisense H9E Plus) is on sale for $479.98 at Factory Direct in Toronto but it's refurbished. I picked one up today and it is an awesome tv. I've also got a Vizio P55 F1 and this tv is just as good, maybe a little better because of the Google assistant and android infrastructure. Make sure you get one in a plain white box because they're factory refurbished and look like new. Also it works with Dolby Vision now and looks breathtaking
HughG wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 7:03 pm
Out of the box it took a while to set up there was a lot of updates to be done. So I’m assuming this is a bit older stock that because the app there is the world cup app on there and on the box it’s from World cup 2018. I haven’t messed around with a lot of specific settings or calibration but overall even at mostly default settings the picture is phenomenal as well as the sound. In all honesty personally for me this blows away my Vizio P 55 out of the water with the image quality and sound quality by a far. Being an android interface as well please and huge bonus as well as having Alexa and Google built in with Chromecast.
HughG wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 7:20 pm
I’m honestly thankful for a friend who called about it. Even at 600 it’s a STEAL.
jackching wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 2:44 pm
So i got the tv hooked up. We switched it from a samsung un55ku6290 and the difference is pretty noticeable. Way less blur and more pop. The only thing tested is a bell satellite so far which is probably mostly 720p content. The speakers are loud but its still the same story as other flat panels - still kind of sounds like the sound is coming out of a can. Once the initial setup was done, it made me upgrade 4 times, each one taking about 10 mins which was pretty annoying. Compared to my series 6 hisense, its a pretty noticeable difference. If you are in this price range, i'd recommend it for sure. Im still waiting to try out hdr content as it is my fathers tv and only had so much time to play with it.
bugeyedfatwalrus wrote:
Jul 28th, 2019 3:25 pm
I ended up buying H9E Plus on Prime Day at Walmart for $498 and I am actually very pleased with it. Once I start to use it more I'll probably post a thorough review somewhere.
sid8tive wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 10:24 am
Okay, folks. Here's my UX review of this TV:

Packaging: The unit came well-packed with enough polystyrene padding all around the screen, including cardboard padding in the front. The Canpar guy had dragged the box, so one of the bottom corners was almost decimated, but the foam padding was plenty and unaffected, hence, the unit was also undamaged. Relieved to see this, lol.

Unboxing: Since this is my first "big screen" TV, it took me a while to figure out how to take it out of the box without tearing up the box (in case I need to return it, etc. etc.). I lay the box on the floor, front facing up. Then with the help of my SO, we gradually pulled the unit with the help of the polystyrene padding (ensuring nothing even touches the screen itself, let alone putting pressure on it, haha). Once the panel had been slid out, we placed the panel with the foam supports onto the table to mount the legs - the top half of the TV is way too thin for comfort and can bend easily if mishandled as happened to rtings. Be very careful in mounting the legs hence.

Setup and initial impressions: After the legs were mounted, everything else went (almost) smoothly. The TV booted up and updated itself thrice. On the second OTA, the process froze (fixed by a forced reboot and re-application of the OTA automatically). After the updates finished, I applied calibration settings per rtings (Backlight level: 75 seemed comfortable for now, will tweak as needed; since it doesnt affect picture quality, this can be based on personal preference. 100 was amazingly bright, but backlight banding becomes visible at certain angles - not an issue when viewed from straight-on). Inputs: NVIDIA Shield, XBOX One X. Tested a few movies via the Shield. Overall I am super impressed by the picture quality! Great colors, good enough contrast ratio (better than I expected in the price range), and for my viewing environment the brightness levels are also near perfect.

Pending to test: detailed/thorough dead/stuck pixel tests (at first glance, there seem to be no defects in the panel). Also pending is to test how the unit feels when gaming using the X1X. I will update this post later today/tomorrow once I get the chance to do so.

Overall conclusion: I purchased this at $598 and for the price, this unit has amazing value in my opinion. No regrets. The only reason I would return this (I hope not!) would be if a defect presented itself during the return period. Otherwise, this one's a keeper and a huge upgrade over my Samsung UN32J5003 1080p unit, hands down. Total warranty coverage at this point for me is 2y (includes the 1y provided by AMEX).
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 11:58 pm
Alright so here we go..

Firstly CanPar sucks, the delivery man dropped off the TV like he was underpaid and didn't give a crap which is probably the case. Didn't use the side grips to carry the TV (side grip seals weren't opened) but more so flipping the TV over and over in order to get it up the 3 steps to the porch, the guy was huge and could easily lifted it he wanted. Noticeable thunk was heard in the video footage, left a note on the storm door stating to safe drop package because they're notorious for carding me without even knocking or ringing the doorbell. There was some foam that was broken on the inside, but no puncture on the outside of the box and no damage on the TV from i could tell.

TV's User Interface (Android Box): It's very similar to the Nvidia Shield user interface which is an Android box, but just a bit slower. I tried updating the TV right away but nothing was popping up, only a couple of hours after testing the 2 updates showed up. I'd say it's similar to the Vizio M658-G1 UI in terms of smoothness if anything a little bit faster.

Speakers: Didn't really test this as the speakers don't matter to me, but since they have some specialty speakers installed then i'd assume it's better than the average in this price range.

Confirming 120Hz: I'm using a LG OLED 55" B8 in comparison which is totally not fair at all but i made it a point in being the most fair and reasonable i could be since it's literally less than half the price lol. Let me just say the Hisense held up in smoothness with the B8. There are some scenes that has motion blur but i wouldn't consider this an issue but a huge plus to have this good of performance in this price range. It has a bunch of pre-sets of motion settings and also a custom one if you like to play around with it, similar to the B8.

Screen: I came in not expecting much since the price is $598 for this TV (now $498) and i'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for". Noticeable dirty screen effect which is the grayness, every over TV in this price range has varying amounts of it so i'm whatever with it. OLED colors pop and it's a night and day difference but once again trying to be fair, i'd say the color tone is similar to like movie cinema theaters, where the colors don't pop much, a little washed out and has that cloudy effect. I followed the calibration settings on rtings.com for the H9 Plus.

I'm not familiar with the TCL and Hisense panel roulette but if the panel roulette is for the low to high amounts of dirty screen effect then i may have received a unit that has high amounts of it (i'm blaming the CanPar guy if anything lol). Maybe not to be the case though as some movie scenes are clear as day, so depends on the content? Everything i watched was in 4K, whether it be demo videos, movies, etc.

Closing Thoughts: Would i recommend this TV at $498? Yes i would if you're on a tight budget. This TV is the line between bottom tier TV's to mid tier TV's which isn't a bad thing considering it's bottom tier pricing. Bottom tier TV's being RCA, Haier, Insignia. Mid tier TV like the TCL 6 Series, the TCL 4 Series has serious motion lag and it was a deal breaker for me, this Hisense TV is probably the middle ground between the 2. You get the same smoothness if not better than the TCL 6 Series, but you may lack the HDR color/brightness of it. TCL 6 Series 55" is $720 at Costco, this is only $498 55". $222 more is 37% of the cost of this TV. I would take this at $498 than pay $720 for the TCL 6 Series any day of the week.

I feel like i'm spoiled after having spending time with an OLED panel and then going back to a VA. Worst case you return it to Walmart, there is a 30 day return policy from what i know.

Not sure what i'm forgetting but i should be expecting this TV to be sold out within 24 hours. Definitely a "buy now think later" deal especially at the $498 price point, jump on this guys.

For those who bought at $598, simply just call in and get the price adjusted. I was in and out of customer service within 10 minutes, including wait times.
=======

Most of page 1 refers to the old deal, which isn't as relevant anymore.

Take a seat, we might have something interesting here.

Apparently Hisense's 2018 ULED (Similar to QLED) 4K 55" TV is selling at $649.99 renewed down from $1399.99 MSRP.

Features:
  • Dolby Vision and HDR10
  • Motion Rate 240
  • 4K Upscaler and Local Dimming
  • Google Assistant Built-in
  • Android TV

Proper Review

It's difficult to narrow down the exact Hisense series this falls within, the only relevant video I'm finding is this one from a small-timer non-technical Canadian reviewer:

The ULED technology is interesting, with possible value for money here, but it's not strictly QLED though it aims to punch at QLED/OLED levels in the 2018 series. If this is a variant on the Hisense 9-Series, see below:
What’s good about it [2018 Hisense 9-Series]?

Hisense have yet to make the jump to OLED but their the latest top-of-the-line ULED TV from the company is far from lagging behind the competition. The Hisense Series 9 boasts quantum dots-enhanced picture quality, 2500 nits of brightness, motion smoothing a 1056-zone backlighting array.

As far as high-end QLED TVs go, Hisenses stock are a little cheaper than Samsung’s - which is another point in their favor.
Source: https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/ ... -tvs-2018/

Offered for your consideration.

More Content

Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 30th, 2019 12:08 am, edited 27 times in total.
683 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10327 posts
10462 upvotes
suzytimmy wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 7:24 pm
What does renewed mean?
Refurbished. After watching the 'proper review' above, I think I might get one. This is impressing, and for the price... incredible.
Nov 22, 2018
27 posts
8 upvotes
I think returning something this big would be a huge hassle with Amazon.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10327 posts
10462 upvotes
suzytimmy wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 7:42 pm
I think returning something this big would be a huge hassle with Amazon.
A free hassle, but yes 55" is large and cumbersome if you're not also large in stature.
Nov 23, 2014
290 posts
201 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
nice write up/research OP, looks like a great deal.
Nov 22, 2018
27 posts
8 upvotes
How much inches do you need on a table for this?
Feb 26, 2017
369 posts
215 upvotes
How would this compare to the Visio P for 750 at Costco ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10327 posts
10462 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 8:04 pm
How would this compare to the Visio P for 750 at Costco ?
Theoretically, this is better than the Vizio P Series 2018, somewhere between the P and PQ.

Definitely more feature loaded.

Costs $100 less too.

I think folks may have missed this gem on Amazon.
May 14, 2006
923 posts
296 upvotes
GTA
I really wanted the 65" version.
May 14, 2006
923 posts
296 upvotes
GTA
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 8:20 pm
Hisense 9-Series 2018 65" @ $1199

Slightly less hot, but still quite decently priced, compared to the Vizio PQ65 at $1899 (OOS).

4 units left.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Visions deal, $900 for 65".
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4610 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
I'm tempted but put off a little by the (lack of) warranty, given that it's not a "premium brand". Really good price though, thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3108 posts
1822 upvotes
Vancouver
This is actually not better than p65. It was a tv I watched last year and did a lot of research pre release but don’t let the hype fool you. Actual reviews (sorry too lazy to find them all) suggest it’s decent but not as good as the hype (kinda expected with hisense).

Ratings review

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h9e-plus

The deal itself isn’t bad but honestly I would recommend waiting for TCL 6 series to go on sale or see if m65 drops farther in price. One perk of this tv is it’s actually a 120hz panel (but no there is no HDMI 2.1 support).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10327 posts
10462 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:07 pm
This is actually not better than p65. It was a tv I watched last year and did a lot of research pre release but don’t let the hype fool you. Actual reviews (sorry too lazy to find them all) suggest it’s decent but not as good as the hype (kinda expected with hisense).

Ratings review

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h9e-plus

The deal itself isn’t bad but honestly I would recommend waiting for TCL 6 series to go on sale or see if m65 drops farther in price. One perk of this tv is it’s actually a 120hz panel (but no there is no HDMI 2.1 support).
I found that review but wasn't confident it applied here, I wonder why the other reviews I've seen are warmer on this TV.

The 30ms to 40ms HDR input lag is not optimal for fast paced gaming, but the HDR seems pretty impressive on this panel.

The colors on my P55-F1 are nice in HDR, but the other reviews suggest this has better HDR.

I'm conflicted on this one, especially at this low price.