[Walmart] Hisense 65" Q7809 $700

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 7:43 pm
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
17 posts
8 upvotes

[Walmart] Hisense 65" Q7809 $700

I haven't been able to find any reviews on this but seems like a good deal.
24 replies
Mar 2, 2018
19 posts
5 upvotes
I’ve got the 55in one from visions a month ago. Quality is pretty good. It has local dimming and the contrast is nice as well. It uses android for the smart tv functions. It can be quite annoying at the beginning but you might get used to
It after a while. This has way better screen quality than the R version that Costco sells but it does not have roku.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2019
17 posts
8 upvotes
does anyone know the difference between the Q8809 & Q7809?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3265 posts
2077 upvotes
GTA
coliin wrote: does anyone know the difference between the Q8809 & Q7809?
In other threads about this TV, people postulated that they are the same and that the 7809 was only made available to specific vendors.

Not sure if that was ever confirmed, however.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1149 posts
601 upvotes
I picked the 55” up and I really like it. Has it’s own apps and interface that is easy to use.

I just picked up
55" 4K UHD SMART TV SUPPORT
H9808 Series
Model: 55H9808
From Walmart for $430, bit I may want a bigger 65” for my main tv.
Any thoughts?
Aug 7, 2011
743 posts
325 upvotes
coliin wrote: the Q8809 is rated well on rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8f

I wonder if the TV just needs some calibration to be good
Want local dimming but obviously it costs considerably more. If this tv only has 12 zones, might just stick with the TCL 4 series or Hisense that fall within $500-$550 for 65".
I have the 55" Hisense Roku and would rather stick with Roku since it works remarkably well.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1208 posts
585 upvotes
This is what I got from an e-mail to Hisense:

It's true that the models are very similar. There are two very small differences between the two - to give you more information - we made to make small changes in order to sell the second model outside of an exclusivity agreement with one of our retailers.

The Q7 series is missing Wide Colour Gamut. The bezel / feet are ever so different as well.

Overall, if you are looking for QLED, Android etc. either model is sufficient. Buy the one with the better price and extended warranty option.
Jan 3, 2017
152 posts
182 upvotes
coliin wrote: the Q8809 is rated well on rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8f

Those are not the same tvs. The H8F is the American version - the equivalent here is the H8809, NOT the Q8809.

The Q series from Hisense from 2019 has not been reviewed well but from the few reviews that exist, they have some known issues.

I would recommend waiting for the new QG series if its going to be your main screen. If its a side screen, its a solid price for a big screen!
Oct 7, 2004
111 posts
22 upvotes
I bought this TV from Walmart a month ago, at $800+tax. I'd say it was well worth the money I paid for it. I considered going for cheaper, non-QLED 65" TVs instead, but I'm glad I went with this instead.

The picture quality on this TV is fantastic. I had a good quality TV before this one, the 60" Dynex 1080P that was actually a Sharp TV. The jump in quality was noticeable immediately. I mainly use my TV as a gigantic monitor, and text is razor sharp. But what was so much more noticeable was how much the colours this TV puts out "pop". Once I saw that, I knew I made the right choice going for QLED instead of a standard LCD.

There are some minor annoyances. There's no input button on the remote. As far as I can tell, there's not way to turn off Bluetooth. And there does appear to be a firmware bug when you try to use the "enhanced" mode of HDMI 2.0 when connected to a PC. I couldn't really find anything about what exactly enhanced mode provides, so I just turned it off.

All in all, I love my new TV. It was worth it at $800, and it'd be even more worth it at $700. I'm gonna see if I can get $100 back on my purchase though. It's worth a shot.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28046 posts
8482 upvotes
A-Town wrote: Links to spec sheets for both models; everything looks similar except the Q8 has higher wattage built-in speakers (15w vs 10w)

https://assets.hisense-canada.com/asset ... 019-v2.pdf
https://assets.hisense-canada.com/asset ... cSheet.pdf
The main difference between the two is actually that the Q8809 has WCG and the Q7809 does not. However someone else on here mentioned the Q7809 will actually take the fw from the Q8809 but I'm not sure if this "enables" WCG as it's not clear if the panel itself is different or if this is just some made-up limitation Hisense created in software.

Incidentally this is the same as the difference between the 2020 Q8G and Q7G--Q7G lacks WCG. As a heads up, Costco has already listed "pre-orders" for the Q7G on their site. The Q8G is the Canadian equivalent of the H8G (US) model; the Q7G is a unique Canada-only model as both the Q8809 and Q7809 were.

I've said this a few times on here. The Q8809 is NOT the H8F. The H8809 is the TV we have here that they call the H8F in the US--this is mentioned right at the bottom of the Rtings review in fact.

I have had both TVs simultaneously, a 55Q8809 and a 55H8809 (H8F). My conclusion was the H8809 is better in pretty much every way compared to the Q8809, QD notwithstanding.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1149 posts
601 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: The main difference between the two is actually that the Q8809 has WCG and the Q7809 does not. However someone else on here mentioned the Q7809 will actually take the fw from the Q8809 but I'm not sure if this "enables" WCG as it's not clear if the panel itself is different or if this is just some made-up limitation Hisense created in software.

Incidentally this is the same as the difference between the 2020 Q8G and Q7G--Q7G lacks WCG. As a heads up, Costco has already listed "pre-orders" for the Q7G on their site. The Q8G is the Canadian equivalent of the H8G (US) model; the Q7G is a unique Canada-only model as both the Q8809 and Q7809 were.

I've said this a few times on here. The Q8809 is NOT the H8F. The H8809 is the TV we have here that they call the H8F in the US--this is mentioned right at the bottom of the Rtings review in fact.

I have had both TVs simultaneously, a 55Q8809 and a 55H8809 (H8F). My conclusion was the H8809 is better in pretty much every way compared to the Q8809, QD notwithstanding.
I would have thought the Q would have been better as hit has Quantum colour or whatever it’s called.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28046 posts
8482 upvotes
Superman_2099 wrote: I would have thought the Q would have been better as hit has Quantum colour or whatever it’s called.
You would think yeah. I did too, to some degree. It has a quantum dot filter, yes, like Samsung "QLED" TVs sure. Doesn't mean much in the bigger picture (pardon the pun). QD filter is supposed to make colour better, sure, but in reality you have to understand that some things are only "on paper" differences as opposed to real world. If you read my comparo of the two (in the link) you'll see why I saw that as there's several reasons. Initially Hisense also led the press to believe the H8F (when it was released) was quantum dot, hence why some reviewers figured "ULED" was their name for QLED. Instead as it turns out the H8F/H8809 doesn't have a QD filter but instead has phosphor coated LEDs, which help to improve colour.

Also I'm not sure if it's due to the QD filter or the way they implemented it or just a different issue with the panel but the viewing angle was really poor on the Q8809. Yes it's a VA panel, yes it's going to have poor viewing angles, but it was especially poor on the Q8809 and worse than the H8809, along with pretty much everything else being worse. Again it's not a bad TV but it's hard to see why Hisense even bothered with it given they never sold it in USA (probably sold it in other places though) and the only thing one might think it competed against was a Vizio M6 and Vizio doesn't even have that much presence in Canada either. The only things I can think of are they didn't have enough allocation of H8809 units for the Canadian market and had to fill in with something else; or, they just wanted to jump on the "quantum dot" train and have something more cheaply made for a bit more profit.

All that said, now that it's only $700 for the 65" that's a pretty good deal I'd have to say. It's gonna be better than the Hisense R6 for only $50 more, so can't really complain there. I haven't paid that much attention to 65" pricing but there might not be anything better out there for the price? I think Visions still has the 65H8809 but it's $150 more at the "final clearance" price but this should again go to show that the H8809 actually costs more to make.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1149 posts
601 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: You would think yeah. I did too, to some degree. It has a quantum dot filter, yes, like Samsung "QLED" TVs sure. Doesn't mean much in the bigger picture (pardon the pun). QD filter is supposed to make colour better, sure, but in reality you have to understand that some things are only "on paper" differences as opposed to real world. If you read my comparo of the two (in the link) you'll see why I saw that as there's several reasons. Initially Hisense also led the press to believe the H8F (when it was released) was quantum dot, hence why some reviewers figured "ULED" was their name for QLED. Instead as it turns out the H8F/H8809 doesn't have a QD filter but instead has phosphor coated LEDs, which help to improve colour.

Also I'm not sure if it's due to the QD filter or the way they implemented it or just a different issue with the panel but the viewing angle was really poor on the Q8809. Yes it's a VA panel, yes it's going to have poor viewing angles, but it was especially poor on the Q8809 and worse than the H8809, along with pretty much everything else being worse. Again it's not a bad TV but it's hard to see why Hisense even bothered with it given they never sold it in USA (probably sold it in other places though) and the only thing one might think it competed against was a Vizio M6 and Vizio doesn't even have that much presence in Canada either. The only things I can think of are they didn't have enough allocation of H8809 units for the Canadian market and had to fill in with something else; or, they just wanted to jump on the "quantum dot" train and have something more cheaply made for a bit more profit.

All that said, now that it's only $700 for the 65" that's a pretty good deal I'd have to say. It's gonna be better than the Hisense R6 for only $50 more, so can't really complain there. I haven't paid that much attention to 65" pricing but there might not be anything better out there for the price? I think Visions still has the 65H8809 but it's $150 more at the "final clearance" price but this should again go to show that the H8809 actually costs more to make.
Thanks for the information.
I’m stuck in a rock and a hard place.
I got the 55q7809 at Walmart for $160 plus tax
I then picked up the 55h9808 at Walmart for $428 plus tax. I wanted a new 65” tv for the main tv as I currently have a sharp lc60c6400u.
But I couldn’t pass up the 55” h9808 price.
So the original 55q is in a bedroom, and I would put the 55h if it is better and sell the 55q to recoup the cost of 55h.
Was thinking about the 65q as my 55q is fine in the bedroom looking straight at it, but haven’t tried it in a room with more light and more Viewing angles
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28046 posts
8482 upvotes
Superman_2099 wrote: Thanks for the information.
I’m stuck in a rock and a hard place.
I got the 55q7809 at Walmart for $160 plus tax
I then picked up the 55h9808 at Walmart for $428 plus tax. I wanted a new 65” tv for the main tv as I currently have a sharp lc60c6400u.
But I couldn’t pass up the 55” h9808 price.
So the original 55q is in a bedroom, and I would put the 55h if it is better and sell the 55q to recoup the cost of 55h.
Was thinking about the 65q as my 55q is fine in the bedroom looking straight at it, but haven’t tried it in a room with more light and more Viewing angles
Hmm yeah that's a weird predicament--too many TVs but not the right size!

But is that $160 a typo or you really mean you spend $160 on a 55Q7809--in that case case you should have bought four lol!

The H9808 I've never been able to figure out what the TV was--I'm guessing it might have been a Canada-only model, much like the Q8809/7809 are. First assumption was it's an H9E Plus with a different colour/shell but it seems quite different so it's probably another Canada-only special that has no US equivalent. Given the H8809 is better than the H9E Plus though, I'd think both it an the Q7809 should be better, but I'd think you'd be the better one to say since you have both! :P

If you are happy with the 55Q7809 and don't mind another, larger, one. I'd say get one of these if you can unless you see something else out there that's interesting at 65" and $700. But honestly if you can spend $130 more, Costco/Best Buy both have the 65" 6-series at that price and I think it's well worth the extra money. Well, you know, so long as you don't end up with one with bad DSE (but at least it's easy to return).