Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Honeywell Whole House HE280 Humidifier $80

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2019 5:32 pm
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Thanks, bought one. Anyone know a decent place to get it installed in Markham? How much would something like this cost to install? What else would I need to buy to get this installed if I were to do it myself? Newb and have never done it before.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
1353 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
I have been looking for a portable humidifier for my condo apartment.. desperately need one for my baby. Any recommendations?? I am on a budget
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
Getting this installed for 175, is that too much ?
Jul 13, 2004
421 posts
140 upvotes
onthemove wrote: Getting this installed for 175, is that too much ?
Yes. It's not that much work to install it yourself. Comes with instructions. One thing with this unit is that the solenoid really sucks and it comes with a saddle valve. Saddle valves are the worst.
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
Fishing wrote: Yes. It's not that much work to install it yourself. Comes with instructions. One thing with this unit is that the solenoid really sucks and it comes with a saddle valve. Saddle valves are the worst.
Couldn't find any cheaper to have it installed, didn't look to hard to install but I'm pretty new to DYI projects and wasn't comfortable with cutting into the furnace. What issues can I expect with the saddle valve and solenoid.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7524 upvotes
BC
Someone correct me if this is a bad idea, but I shower with the door open during the winter months. I see two good reasons: 1) adds humidity to the house. 2) avoids removing heated air out the bathroom fan duct.

Might not be a great idea if everyone in a 4-5 person household does it on a daily basis, but for one or two showers per day, it seems to have its advantages.
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Jul 13, 2004
421 posts
140 upvotes
onthemove wrote: Couldn't find any cheaper to have it installed, didn't look to hard to install but I'm pretty new to DYI projects and wasn't comfortable with cutting into the furnace. What issues can I expect with the saddle valve and solenoid.
You'll save yourself the time which is nice. The thing is that if you've never done it before, it'll take forever. Cutting into the vent and getting the right size isn't exactly easy. Then there's putting on the humidistat, some wiring, etc.

The solenoid on these things fail all the time. I have this humidifier and it's like the 2nd one I've had where the solenoid failed - either doesn't open or even worse, doesn't close. If it doesn't close water keeps going. Combo that with the saddle valve which is the cheapest way to tap into an existing water line and you could have water just running through the humidifier all the time even if it's set to 0 humidity. Google "saddle valve" and you'll see lots of posts on why they're bad - they puncture a hole into your copper waterline and bring water to the humidifier. Once that hole is there, you're reliant on the saddle valve to close the hole. They generally work well for a while, then they start leaking - I believe there's a pin that pushes into the hole to fill it up. Problem is there is rubber that wears out and even if the pin is pushed in all the way, the water keeps on coming when the rubber wears away.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
All gone i need one for our home. So dang dry.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
These Honeywells are crap, don't feel bad if you missed out...
Last edited by mwahahaa on Jan 27th, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
Fishing wrote: You'll save yourself the time which is nice. The thing is that if you've never done it before, it'll take forever. Cutting into the vent and getting the right size isn't exactly easy. Then there's putting on the humidistat, some wiring, etc.

The solenoid on these things fail all the time. I have this humidifier and it's like the 2nd one I've had where the solenoid failed - either doesn't open or even worse, doesn't close. If it doesn't close water keeps going. Combo that with the saddle valve which is the cheapest way to tap into an existing water line and you could have water just running through the humidifier all the time even if it's set to 0 humidity. Google "saddle valve" and you'll see lots of posts on why they're bad - they puncture a hole into your copper waterline and bring water to the humidifier. Once that hole is there, you're reliant on the saddle valve to close the hole. They generally work well for a while, then they start leaking - I believe there's a pin that pushes into the hole to fill it up. Problem is there is rubber that wears out and even if the pin is pushed in all the way, the water keeps on coming when the rubber wears away.
Definitely would rather someone else do this installation for me. With the cost of the humidifier i think i am okay with the solenoid and saddle. Would you say it works well otherwise?
Jul 13, 2004
421 posts
140 upvotes
onthemove wrote: Definitely would rather someone else do this installation for me. With the cost of the humidifier i think i am okay with the solenoid and saddle. Would you say it works well otherwise?
$80 you can't go wrong. Everything else is fine. I eventually had someone replace the saddle valve with a proper shut off valve. If you can do that upfront instead of installing the saddle valve in the first place you'll be better off. Then you gotta hope the solenoid is not a lemon. Buying a replacement one is really expensive if you can find it. I'm actually in the process of trying to find a different humidifier, one that will last.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)