Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

HOT hometrends retractable pergola 10x8 $168 walmart bayshore

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 3, 2015
129 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

[Walmart] HOT hometrends retractable pergola 10x8 $168 walmart bayshore

Saw this at the Walmart kanata in the clearance section for $269 but when I went to check the reviews online, I saw that it was available at the bayshore Walmart for $168! I didn't think there would be any left but as of tonight there was at least four or five more. The box is heavy as a fother mucker and you'll need in store help to load it. You'll need at least a minivan with the seats down or a truck. Might need to find a way to bolt it to the deck unless you're going to take it down each season.
Images
  • upload.png
Last edited by goosekim on Aug 25th, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2429 posts
3204 upvotes
I saw one in an open box in store. It looks/feels like a POS. Flimsy, rickety, definitely gonna rust.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
1521 posts
1344 upvotes
We've had this for 2 years now, I paid $200 for it from Walmart.
- construction is a pita, things don't line up great and the screws are easy to strip.
- the top often gets caught at the center point when opening or closing it, unless you get it perfectly even on both sides
- the little canopy that goes over the folded canopy degraded quickly. I reached out to the company to buy a replacement, but no response. I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot (tan too, so it matches!) and the size was perfect. The best part is now with a plastic cover, the main canopy stays dry when folded.
-I take the top down every winter. I think if you left it up it would break. It's not super hard to take down but far from easy.
- the structure is super heavy. I didn't bolt mine down because there's no way wind could take this thing. It's heavy af
- the structure isn't super tight. I don't think it will break, but I could see why the user above thought it felt flimsy. It's pretty heavy duty but it's not very sturdy, so when you push or lean on it it does shift around a bit. But again its heavy so won't move, and I don't think it would be easy to break.
- no rusting issues after 2 winters.

For 200 or under I think it's a great pergola. For the regular price it's still not a bad one. It's a good cheap alternative to a gazebo if you want something you can have open or closed. Additionally with the top closed in poor weather means you'll prolong its life. I'm just hoping when the time comes I can find a replacement top, but for now mine is still in great shape. It's by far paid for itself and has allowed us to make use of our full-sun back yard. At this price you'd be looking at a big umbrella, and I'd rather have this pergola.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2006
2920 posts
1305 upvotes
Have this sitting on my patio and its an absolute nightmare. The fabric collects rain so you have to retract is after each use, its fairly difficult to retract and the setup was very difficult.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 22, 2004
1043 posts
485 upvotes
Montreal
JJSmiles wrote: It was on clearance in Vancouver 3 weeks ago for $150. Would have been a good deal of you have the proper vehicle to transport it. 225 lbs. Too heavy to transport and they do not deliver clearance items from the store.
225 lbs can be transported in any vehicule, no?

What do you do when you pick someone up from anywhere, ask them if they are under 200 lbs??
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2008
680 posts
59 upvotes
Kynax wrote: 225 lbs can be transported in any vehicule, no?

What do you do when you pick someone up from anywhere, ask them if they are under 200 lbs??

I'd assume they meant in terms of the fact that it's in a box that's 8 feet long, AS WELL as being 225lbs. You can stick 8 feet long pvc in a civic because it's light. you can stick a 200 pound human in a civic because they move on their own and the car is designed to fit a human.
Deal Hunter, Entrepreneur and Lifelong Learner
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
1521 posts
1344 upvotes
hi-tech wrote: Have this sitting on my patio and its an absolute nightmare. The fabric collects rain so you have to retract is after each use, its fairly difficult to retract and the setup was very difficult.
Yes you should retract if its going to rain (heavy at least.) my patio is slightly angled away from the house, so I don't have too much of an issue with it collected. That said I retract it if I suspect rain anyways.

For what it's worth, my neighbour bought a much more expensive retractable pergola and theirs is more difficult to use and much less heavy duty.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 31, 2006
1050 posts
1013 upvotes
Norilsk
goosekim wrote: Saw this at the Walmart kanata in the clearance section for $269 but when I went to check the reviews online, I saw that it was available at the bayshore Walmart for $168! I didn't think there would be any left but as of tonight there was at least four or five more. The box is heavy as a fother mucker and you'll need in store help to load it. You'll need at least a minivan with the seats down or a truck. Might need to find a way to bolt it to the deck unless you're going to take it down each season.
Got the slingtop pergola from the same Walmart last fall for $75.

Stored for the winter and put up this spring. Love it!

It is absolutely worth $200 it is being sold for at some locations:


https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=62891583846
If I robbed the place I would be out by now....
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2906 posts
2157 upvotes
GTA
bpcrally wrote: We've had this for 2 years now, I paid $200 for it from Walmart.
- construction is a pita, things don't line up great and the screws are easy to strip.
- the top often gets caught at the center point when opening or closing it, unless you get it perfectly even on both sides
- the little canopy that goes over the folded canopy degraded quickly. I reached out to the company to buy a replacement, but no response. I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot (tan too, so it matches!) and the size was perfect. The best part is now with a plastic cover, the main canopy stays dry when folded.
-I take the top down every winter. I think if you left it up it would break. It's not super hard to take down but far from easy.
- the structure is super heavy. I didn't bolt mine down because there's no way wind could take this thing. It's heavy af
- the structure isn't super tight. I don't think it will break, but I could see why the user above thought it felt flimsy. It's pretty heavy duty but it's not very sturdy, so when you push or lean on it it does shift around a bit. But again its heavy so won't move, and I don't think it would be easy to break.
- no rusting issues after 2 winters.

For 200 or under I think it's a great pergola. For the regular price it's still not a bad one. It's a good cheap alternative to a gazebo if you want something you can have open or closed. Additionally with the top closed in poor weather means you'll prolong its life. I'm just hoping when the time comes I can find a replacement top, but for now mine is still in great shape. It's by far paid for itself and has allowed us to make use of our full-sun back yard. At this price you'd be looking at a big umbrella, and I'd rather have this pergola.
I bought one because of your review. Can you elaborate on "I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot"? A picture would be great. As well, is there a link to this plastic roof? Thank you very much.
Jr. Member
Dec 20, 2004
139 posts
22 upvotes
bpcrally wrote: We've had this for 2 years now, I paid $200 for it from Walmart.
- construction is a pita, things don't line up great and the screws are easy to strip.
- the top often gets caught at the center point when opening or closing it, unless you get it perfectly even on both sides
- the little canopy that goes over the folded canopy degraded quickly. I reached out to the company to buy a replacement, but no response. I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot (tan too, so it matches!) and the size was perfect. The best part is now with a plastic cover, the main canopy stays dry when folded.
-I take the top down every winter. I think if you left it up it would break. It's not super hard to take down but far from easy.
- the structure is super heavy. I didn't bolt mine down because there's no way wind could take this thing. It's heavy af
- the structure isn't super tight. I don't think it will break, but I could see why the user above thought it felt flimsy. It's pretty heavy duty but it's not very sturdy, so when you push or lean on it it does shift around a bit. But again its heavy so won't move, and I don't think it would be easy to break.
- no rusting issues after 2 winters.

For 200 or under I think it's a great pergola. For the regular price it's still not a bad one. It's a good cheap alternative to a gazebo if you want something you can have open or closed. Additionally with the top closed in poor weather means you'll prolong its life. I'm just hoping when the time comes I can find a replacement top, but for now mine is still in great shape. It's by far paid for itself and has allowed us to make use of our full-sun back yard. At this price you'd be looking at a big umbrella, and I'd rather have this pergola.
Is this possible to bolt on deck? Thanks!
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 3, 2015
129 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
lunik wrote: Is this possible to bolt on deck? Thanks!
We're thinking of putting the posts in buckets and filling with cement. Then we would put planters around it to hide the buckets. Either that or put the posts into holes and filling up with cement. But bolting would be ideal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
1521 posts
1344 upvotes
Britex wrote: I bought one because of your review. Can you elaborate on "I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot"? A picture would be great. As well, is there a link to this plastic roof? Thank you very much.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/palruf ... ?rrec=true

I believe this is the exact one I got. I drilled holes in it at various points and zip tied it to the frame. It keeps the top nice and dry when retracted, where the included fabric piece doesn't do a great job.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
1521 posts
1344 upvotes
lunik wrote: Is this possible to bolt on deck? Thanks!
You can. The feet have holes for mounting. However I did not fasten ours down, the thing is like 200+ lbs I think. And with the canopy retracted it's just a skeleton frame. Ours has been through some pretty severe storms.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2906 posts
2157 upvotes
GTA
bpcrally wrote: You can. The feet have holes for mounting. However I did not fasten ours down, the thing is like 200+ lbs I think. And with the canopy retracted it's just a skeleton frame. Ours has been through some pretty severe storms.
It's interesting that you say it's about 200 pounds, on Walmart's page it says it's 198.4 pounds, but the one I bought the box specifically says it's 68Kg = 150 pounds. I can only imagine there are different versions and somehow they trimmed off 50 pounds of material on mine!? The SKU matches up though and it came in one box. Please don't tell me it comes in more than one box?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
1521 posts
1344 upvotes
Britex wrote: It's interesting that you say it's about 200 pounds, on Walmart's page it says it's 198.4 pounds, but the one I bought the box specifically says it's 68Kg = 150 pounds. I can only imagine there are different versions and somehow they trimmed off 50 pounds of material on mine!? The SKU matches up though and it came in one box. Please don't tell me it comes in more than one box?
Nope it was one box. You're probably right that it's 150 and I over estimated. I just remember it was really heavy in the box, and you can't easily move it once assembled (you'll need 1 person at each post to lift and move).

Good luck with the assembly. The instructions weren't great so I had to redo it at one stage but it could just be me! But once it's done it's done. Assume about half a day or day
Jr. Member
Dec 20, 2004
139 posts
22 upvotes
Britex wrote: I bought one because of your review. Can you elaborate on "I ended up purchasing a sheet of plastic roof from home depot"? A picture would be great. As well, is there a link to this plastic roof? Thank you very much.
How much you pay for it? My nearby store is $269 at Edmonton.

Top