Hot Deals

Walmart

HP 15.6” HD Laptop, AMD Ryzen™ 3 3250U, 15-ef1009ca $250 YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2021 10:41 am
43 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2408 posts
1658 upvotes
GTA
Everything checks fine except the resolution. In 2021 (even 2020) 1366x768 in a 15" laptop is a joke when people are talking about 2k, 3k on their tiny (in comparison) cell phones.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Jr. Member
Mar 22, 2021
185 posts
431 upvotes
good price. too bad I only see 350 lowest
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
22648 posts
27615 upvotes
Toronto
Works with Windows 11 too. You can install the preview now or wait for official release in a few weeks. It's a free update

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

I've been running 11 preview on 3 different older machines with no issues. One computer is from 2016.

Windows 11 requirements below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications

The tricky part with some cheaper machines. You may have trouble setting TPM, secure boot, UEFI in the BIOS. That part was pretty easy however with my Dells. Just make sure your BIOS is fully up to date also.
Last edited by sprung on Sep 20th, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ye wife is in me dms baby.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
15445 posts
3864 upvotes
sprung wrote: Works with Windows 11 too. You can install the preview now or wait for official release in a few weeks. It's a free update

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

I've been running 11 preview on 3 different older machines with no issues. One computer is from 2016.
what's the min req for W11?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1269 posts
1333 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Is there a windows 11 system requirement automated checker? Some of the stuff they are asking for, I don't feel like spending 2 hours to find out.
Member
Apr 7, 2020
410 posts
1129 upvotes
What a hot buy at $250. Sadly not available anywhere near me.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1449 posts
494 upvotes
will see oct 5 or oct patch tuesday if older devices get automatic updates for win 11 that don't meet requirement of 8th gen ( seventh for some microsoft surface devices ), tpm chip as that will ruin for many if has to be done like current win 7 users and the bypass tool installed or worse yet if have to do manual updates every time a patch is released - for techies no problem but adds that much more complexity :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
8060 posts
9042 upvotes
Toronto
smoraes wrote: will see oct 5 or oct patch tuesday if older devices get automatic updates for win 11 that don't meet requirement of 8th gen ( seventh for some microsoft surface devices ), tpm chip as that will ruin for many if has to be done like current win 7 users and the bypass tool installed or worse yet if have to do manual updates every time a patch is released - for techies no problem but adds that much more complexity :(
new eligible devices will be offered the upgrade first

from https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... october-5/

Rolling out the free upgrade to Windows 11 in a phased and measured approach
The free upgrade to Windows 11 starts on October 5 and will be phased and measured with a focus on quality. Following the tremendous learnings from Windows 10, we want to make sure we’re providing you with the best possible experience. That means new eligible devices will be offered the upgrade first. The upgrade will then roll out over time to in-market devices based on intelligence models that consider hardware eligibility, reliability metrics, age of device and other factors that impact the upgrade experience. We expect all eligible devices to be offered the free upgrade to Windows 11 by mid-2022. If you have a Windows 10 PC that’s eligible for the upgrade, Windows Update will let you know when it’s available. You can also check to see if Windows 11 is ready for your device by going to Settings > Windows Update and select Check for updates*.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
4148 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
maritrunks wrote: The display is horrible! My phone has better display lol!
This comes up pretty much on every cheap laptop thread and lots say its OK, but I still think is a valid point. That resolution is so outdated, I have no idea why manufacturer's still put out these screens. Especially at $600 retail price, its a joke.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2302 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
DragOnT wrote: Everything checks fine except the resolution. In 2021 (even 2020) 1366x768 in a 15" laptop is a joke when people are talking about 2k, 3k on their tiny (in comparison) cell phones.
Not funny at all for old folks who just want as cheap as possible laptop and don't care much.
Not everyone is watching 4k movies and playing games on their laptops.
For this price, it's alright.
Jr. Member
Feb 14, 2008
127 posts
152 upvotes
Sudbury
Thanks OP. Picked up last 2 at our local wm. Solid deal for $250.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2014
120 posts
50 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
DragOnT wrote: Everything checks fine except the resolution. In 2021 (even 2020) 1366x768 in a 15" laptop is a joke when people are talking about 2k, 3k on their tiny (in comparison) cell phones.
I know the resolution is not good. But for me, use this one as work from home computer with dual monitors. so far no complaints.
Newbie
Jul 8, 2019
7 posts
16 upvotes
FYI. No stock at Agincourt Walmart. Took a shot, no dice. Good find OP, this would have been perfect for my little one and remote learning for school.

Top