Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] iRobot Roomba i3 Robot Vaccuum on November 19th - $398.98, $100 Discount

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 10:41 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton

[Walmart] iRobot Roomba i3 Robot Vaccuum on November 19th - $398.98, $100 Discount

I just bought an i3 at the end of October from Canadian Tire and didn't expect this deep a discount for a brand new model, hopefully they'll pricematch an "Early Black Friday" sale.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 17th, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
46 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1196 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
Is this with the self clean self empty bin? I can't seem to see it for that amazing price!

I got the shark self clean version for $399 - it's great on hardwood, but I suspect the roomba will be much better for carpet/polyloom.

Self empty is a must! Makes life very easy, and less dust in your face once a month vs emptying the dinky bin daily.
Last edited by pererac on Nov 16th, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Jan 24, 2018
54 posts
65 upvotes
pererac wrote: Is this with the self clean self empty bin? I can't seem to see it for that amazing price!

I got the shark self clean person for $399 - it's great on hardwood, but I suspect the roomba will be much better for carpet/polyloom.

Self empty is a must!!!
No this is not self empty. Cheapest I've seen a self empty roomba is $800 on Amazon Prime day and then again on a one day sale about a week ago. Both times was the i6+ from Amazon.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
pererac wrote: Is this with the self clean self empty bin? I can't seem to see it for that amazing price!

I got the shark self clean person for $399 - it's great on hardwood, but I suspect the roomba will be much better for carpet/polyloom.

Self empty is a must!!!
Coaler wrote:
No this is not self empty. Cheapest I've seen a self empty roomba is $800 on Amazon Prime day and then again on a one day sale about a week ago. Both times was the i6+ from Amazon.
The self empty i3+ with self-empty will be $200 off at Best Buy next week.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1196 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: The self empty i3+ with self-empty will be $200 off at Best Buy next week.
How do you know?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1196 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/compu ... hones-350/

Tl;dr $549

It’s a great price, the i7 lets you assign rooms etc, but the i3 cleans just as well if your living space is simple
I owned the i7 (Costco 90 policy) and exchanged it for the s9+ - it's a wonderful unit and does very well on bedroom carpets. However, I feel foolish for parting with so many schekels for this irobot, and am convinced the i3/i4/i6 would be just as good. I can buy a new oled tv with the savings.

Looking forward to the best buy deal!
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
pererac wrote: I owned the i7 (Costco 90 policy) and exchanged it for the s9+ - it's a wonderful unit and does very well on bedroom carpets. However, I feel foolish for parting with so many schekels for this irobot, and am convinced the i3/i4/i6 would be just as good. I can buy a new oled tv with the savings.

Looking forward to the best buy deal!
The s9 has an EPIC motor that is several times stronger than any other robot vacuum on the market and it's definitely a great little bot. Why did you decide to upgrade from the i7?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1196 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: The s9 has an EPIC motor that is several times stronger than any other robot vacuum on the market and it's definitely a great little bot. Why did you decide to upgrade from the i7?
Yes! That's the main reason I upgraded to the s9+! 40x suction (vs a lower end model) - but I really noticed the difference on my carpets! I have pets and balding hippies - so lots of hair/fur to collect. It's loud, but I run it at times where it won't be a bother. It's front squarish shape makes for excellent cleaning.

The worst part is the training process. Must have ran it maybe 5 times until I saw an accurate map appear.

But I don't know if it's worth the almost $1500 after taxes.
Sep 23, 2018
48 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can anyone comment on how this compares to the Neato Connected D4? That has a lidar sensor to map instead.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
KingsleyW41998 wrote: Can anyone comment on how this compares to the Neato Connected D4? That has a lidar sensor to map instead.
The Neato doesn’t have a auto-emptying system to upgrade to yet and the front suspension, vs the rear Roomba suspension, struggles with larger bumps and thresholds. The Roomba is also the king of carpet cleaning as their dual brush system is patent protected. Otherwise, I’ve heard the Neato is an excellent robot. The Roomba also has the scale advantage of many 3rd party parts and it’s much easier to replace 1st party parts.

If you don’t have much carpet, your living space is flat, and you don’t have any interest in a auto bin; the Neato is probably a better value. I really like that they’re an American company and not a weirdly disguised sub brand of one of China’s tech giants (Wyze, Roborock, Xiaomi, etc etc).

Robot vacuum discussions often mirror phone discussions... iRobot is the Apple of robo vacuums and value is a bit more complicated when you factor in an extremely reliable brand. There are dozens of Chinese robots that provide much better value, but like cheap Chinese phones, they have other considerations beyond price.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1196 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: The Neato doesn’t have a auto-emptying system to upgrade to yet and the front suspension, vs the rear Roomba suspension, struggles with larger bumps and thresholds. The Roomba is also the king of carpet cleaning as their dual brush system is patent protected. Otherwise, I’ve heard the Neato is an excellent robot. The Roomba also has the scale advantage of many 3rd party parts and it’s much easier to replace 1st party parts.

If you don’t have much carpet, your living space is flat, and you don’t have any interest in a auto bin; the Neato is probably a better value. Robot vacuum discussions often mirror phone discussions... iRobot is the Apple of robo vacuums and value is a bit more complicated when you factor in an extremely reliable brand. There are dozens of Chinese robots that provide much better value, but like cheap Chinese phones, they have other considerations beyond price.
I'll 2nd this sentiment. Main draws are carpet performance, app software, self empty.

I've had plenty of eufy's, deebots, ilife's and non have come close to the irobots.

A very close second place, is the shark robot Robot Face with the self clean - though it's only used on hardwood/tile - and the app/wifi is kinda meh
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
pererac wrote: I'll 2nd this sentiment. Main draws are carpet performance, app software, self empty.

I've had plenty of eufy's, deebots, ilife's and non have come close to the irobots.

A very close second place, is the shark robot Robot Face with the self clean - though it's only used on hardwood/tile - and the app/wifi is kinda meh
I really like that you can replace almost the entire Roomba like the Ship of Theseus, as any device that travels hundreds of kilometres a year will eventually break. Eufy etc? Toss it in the e-waste bin and buy another one 🤷🏽‍♀️
Sep 23, 2018
48 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ownthesky wrote: The Neato doesn’t have a auto-emptying system to upgrade to yet and the front suspension, vs the rear Roomba suspension, struggles with larger bumps and thresholds. The Roomba is also the king of carpet cleaning as their dual brush system is patent protected. Otherwise, I’ve heard the Neato is an excellent robot. The Roomba also has the scale advantage of many 3rd party parts and it’s much easier to replace 1st party parts.

If you don’t have much carpet, your living space is flat, and you don’t have any interest in a auto bin; the Neato is probably a better value. I really like that they’re an American company and not a weirdly disguised sub brand of one of China’s tech giants (Wyze, Roborock, Xiaomi, etc etc).

Robot vacuum discussions often mirror phone discussions... iRobot is the Apple of robo vacuums and value is a bit more complicated when you factor in an extremely reliable brand. There are dozens of Chinese robots that provide much better value, but like cheap Chinese phones, they have other considerations beyond price.
I had recently purchased the Neato and it’s been alright. Its performance and coverage of the entire map seems like a hit or miss though. When I run it when I’m not home then it’ll run like a superstar, but if I’m home and around then it gets confused at times. I try to dodge around it to avoid confusing the lidar but I’m not sure if that’s causing the lack of performance while at home. What happens with people that have pets in the home at the same time?

Which is why I’m considering the i3 with the floor navigation...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3431 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
Does it have mapping or is it random?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
gbill2004 wrote: Does it have mapping or is it random?
It’s a hybrid of both- it doesn’t have a camera or lidar, it uses a sensor aimed at the floor to measure distance and direction from where it started. It makes a new map each clean and can’t remember past maps. It basically cleans the first room in efficient rows and identifies the walls- once it’s mapped the room from the rows, it goes over the spots it missed or moves on to another room. Since it knows exactly where its base station is, if the battery runs low, it drives back to the charger and after charging, it will then drive back to finish the rest of the job where it stopped. Here’s a clean map from last week, it really does get everywhere and manages to map my whole apartment without any advanced sensors. Unlike camera bots, it works in total darkness.
A69B05D3-0A18-4EEA-A303-BA6E0700677A.jpeg
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3431 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
ownthesky wrote: It’s a hybrid of both- it doesn’t have a camera or lidar, it uses a sensor aimed at the floor to measure distance and direction from where it started. It makes a new map each clean and can’t remember past maps. It basically cleans the first room in efficient rows and identifies the walls- once it’s mapped the room from the rows, it goes over the spots it missed or moves on to another room. Since it knows exactly where its base station is, if the battery runs low, it drives back to the charger and after charging, it will then drive back to finish the rest of the job where it stopped. Here’s a clean map from last week, it really does get everywhere and manages to map my whole apartment without any advanced sensors. Unlike camera bots, it works in total darkness.

Cool! Will it go in different rooms on the same cleaning session?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2018
740 posts
840 upvotes
Hamilton
gbill2004 wrote: Cool! Will it go in different rooms on the same cleaning session?
Absolutely, it keeps going until it’s cleaned every possible room on the floor.
Jun 4, 2011
235 posts
167 upvotes
ownthesky wrote: It’s a hybrid of both- it doesn’t have a camera or lidar, it uses a sensor aimed at the floor to measure distance and direction from where it started. It makes a new map each clean and can’t remember past maps. It basically cleans the first room in efficient rows and identifies the walls- once it’s mapped the room from the rows, it goes over the spots it missed or moves on to another room. Since it knows exactly where its base station is, if the battery runs low, it drives back to the charger and after charging, it will then drive back to finish the rest of the job where it stopped. Here’s a clean map from last week, it really does get everywhere and manages to map my whole apartment without any advanced sensors. Unlike camera bots, it works in total darkness.

You have me bouncing between the i3 and i7 with this post. For the i3 I like the fact that it's already blind more or less, so it can work in the dark perfectly and there's no privacy concerns. I don't like how it makes a new map every time (but I've seen many posts complain about bots losing their maps randomly anyway), and no cam means no app created keep out zones and zero chance of obstacle avoidance updates in the future. How do you stop the i3 from going places like behind a couch where the mess lives?

Price is another factor, you're saying the i3+ will be $549 on BF, I don't have much hope that the i7+ will drop below $700. I was looking at the shark iq xl, hoping it would go on sale for $350, but reviews are mixed when carpets/mixed floors are involved and everyone agrees that it's fairly dumb compared to roombas, you kind of get what you pay for with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
3431 posts
1560 upvotes
Canada
hakira wrote: You have me bouncing between the i3 and i7 with this post. For the i3 I like the fact that it's already blind more or less, so it can work in the dark perfectly and there's no privacy concerns. I don't like how it makes a new map every time (but I've seen many posts complain about bots losing their maps randomly anyway), and no cam means no app created keep out zones and zero chance of obstacle avoidance updates in the future. How do you stop the i3 from going places like behind a couch where the mess lives?

Price is another factor, you're saying the i3+ will be $549 on BF, I don't have much hope that the i7+ will drop below $700. I was looking at the shark iq xl, hoping it would go on sale for $350, but reviews are mixed when carpets/mixed floors are involved and everyone agrees that it's fairly dumb compared to roombas, you kind of get what you pay for with it.
What's the difference between i3 and i3+?