[Walmart] Kalorik MAXX Digital Air Fryer Oven with 9 Accessories [$139.97]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2020 7:21 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14321 posts
4036 upvotes
Scarberia
damn cheap airfryer! instant buy if i didn't already have one...also using the moola gcs for another 50$ savings!
i like how its big and u can rotisseriee a full chicken!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3581 posts
810 upvotes
I have a Cuisine Art here fryer similar to this one and I can't imagine using a basket. Toaster oven type design is so much more versatile and yes it's harder to clean than a basket type AF but really at some point it's not going to stay clean forever. If I didn't have my Cuisine Art when I would buy this for sure.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Dec 10, 2005
830 posts
2104 upvotes
yellowmp5 wrote: Got mine for $99 at Costco online, received on Wednesday, used everyday since Friday night. My first air fryer, I think it fry and bake very well.

I re-fried my crispy roast pork, barbeque wings, Hong Kong style French toast, baked a coconut loaf.

The accessories are very good, the 2 flaws I see with this machine:
-Putting in the trays into the oven can be a little tight
-the the French doors gets slammed easily.

Other wise it performs very well!

And I do see smoke/steam coming out from the right side door while frying

I like how the doors are glass, so that you can see the foods condition inside when it is frying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I would think this type of air fryer (and pull out tray style) will be better than the Instant pot/ninja fryer where their heating element is on the lid. When you remove the lid, imagine all the heat loss...

imo the pulling out tray style is better at retaining heat
IMG_20201213_130855.jpg
IMG_20201211_184641.jpg
Screenshot_20201213-141317.jpg
IMG-20201211-WA0009.jpeg
Is the outside too hot to touch?
Dec 11, 2006
442 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
Maxkuku wrote:
Please review the Frigidaire. Thank you in advance.
I received the Frigidaire one the other day from Walmart (still waiting for the Kalorik from The Bay).

Will write more later in the next couple of days when I have more time. So far so good. Just tried doing toast, hotdogs, and a whole pizza (separately). Seems to heat evenly so far.

Some things to note:
4 heating elements on the top.
2 heating elements on the bottom.
2 fan speeds.
Glass door has seals that run all the way around the sides and top.
Pull out crumb tray (not accessed by opening the glass oven door). I find this convenient. This is separate from the crumb/drip tray that you can insert inside one of the levels in the oven.
450F maximum cooking temperature.
60 minutes maximum cooking timer (if you find that near the end of your cooking process you need to more time, you can add extra time by clicking the start/pause button and then spinning the dial to add more time, then press the start/pause button for it to resume).
Accessories:
Air fryer basket
Wire rack
Rotisserie spit
Tool / handle to remove the cooked item and rotisserie spit
Crumb/drip tray

Initially, I ran the recommended high heat setting for 20 minutes (empty) for initial burn in/off. It smelled a bit like burning plastic. I ran this another 3 to 4 times empty until the smell went away. When I smelled inside the oven, it didn't actually smell like burnt plastic, it was the air coming out of the oven that smelled like burnt plastic. I tested with a piece of bread in it (to make toast), just in case the burnt plastic smell was going to transfer to the food (I didn't want to test a whole pizza to possibly "taste like burnt plastic", but I would be ok sacrificing a piece of bread!). There was no burnt plastic taste on the food.

For those that have the Kalorik, did it take a few runs to get rid of any odour?

Again, I'm still waiting for my Kalorik to arrive, and once it comes I have to make a decision. The Kalorik does come with a couple more extra accessories compared to the Frigidaire (I think the Kalorik came with a bacon/fryer tray or something similar).

I will attach some quick pictures of the oven.

Thanks!
Images
  • 20201213_202725.jpg
  • 20201213_205914.jpg
  • 20201212_170639.jpg
Aug 9, 2012
117 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I got the frigidaire too. Its a great looking appliance. The door is a pull down vs french doors on the kalorik. The door seals well n has a rubbery padding for seal. What im not liking too much is the digital menu and options is a bit convulated coming from a manual style toaster oven. Its going to get sometime to getting used too. What mode did you select for just toasting bread or Bagel? I wish it had a specific toast option.
aznmidnite wrote: I received the Frigidaire one the other day from Walmart (still waiting for the Kalorik from The Bay).

Will write more later in the next couple of days when I have more time. So far so good. Just tried doing toast, hotdogs, and a whole pizza (separately). Seems to heat evenly so far.

Some things to note:
2 fan speeds.
Pull out crumb tray (not accessed by opening the glass oven door). I find this convenient. This is separate from the crumb/drip tray that you can insert inside one of the levels in the oven.
60 minutes maximum cooking timer (if you find that near the end of your cooking process you need to more time, you can add extra time by clicking the start/pause button and then spinning the dial to add more time, then press the start/pause button for it to resume).
Accessories:
Air fryer basket
Wire rack
Rotisserie spit
Crumb/drip tray

Initially, I ran the recommended high heat setting for 20 minutes (empty) for initial burn in/off. It smelled a bit like burning plastic. I ran this another 3 to 4 times empty until the smell went away. When I smelled inside the oven, it didn't actually smell like burnt plastic, it was the air coming out of the oven that smelled like burnt plastic. I tested with a piece of bread in it (to make toast), just in case the burnt plastic smell was going to transfer to the food (I didn't want to test a whole pizza to possibly "taste like burnt plastic", but I would be ok sacrificing a piece of bread!). There was no burnt plastic taste on the food.

For those that have the Kalorik, did it take a few runs to get rid of any odour?

Again, I'm still waiting for my Kalorik to arrive, and once it comes I have to make a decision. The Kalorik does come with a couple more extra accessories compared to the Frigidaire (I think the Kalorik came with a bacon/fryer tray or something similar).

Thanks!
Dec 11, 2006
442 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
4dalasttime wrote: I got the frigidaire too. Its a great looking appliance. The door is a pull down vs french doors on the kalorik. The door seals well n has a rubbery padding for seal. What im not liking too much is the digital menu and options is a bit convulated coming from a manual style toaster oven. Its going to get sometime to getting used too. What mode did you select for just toasting bread or Bagel? I wish it had a specific toast option.
For the toast I just set it on the mode that turns on both the upper and lower heating elements, kept it at the default temperature, and ran it for I think about 3 minutes.

I did like that this door seals well. I do wish this Frigidaire came with a steak tray accessory like the Kalorik Maxx comes with. If it did, I'd probably keep the Frigidaire over the Kalorik (however, I guess I shouldn't say that until I try the Kalorik).

My Kalorik Maxx arrived the other day and I'll try to test it out this weekend.

For those that have the Kalorik Maxx, how do you find it? Is the gap between the doors and lack of complete seal around the doors that much of a problem? Does it really cook unevenly like some of the reviews have stated (items closer to door are not as "done" as items closer to the back of the oven)?

Thanks for any input!
Feb 4, 2016
170 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznmidnite wrote:
I did like that this door seals well. I do wish this Frigidaire came with a steak tray accessory like the Kalorik Maxx comes with. If it did, I'd probably keep the Frigidaire over the Kalorik (however, I guess I shouldn't say that until I try the Kalorik).

My Kalorik Maxx arrived the other day and I'll try to test it out this weekend.

For those that have the Kalorik Maxx, how do you find it? Is the gap between the doors and lack of complete seal around the doors that much of a problem? Does it really cook unevenly like some of the reviews have stated (items closer to door are not as "done" as items closer to the back of the oven)?

Thanks for any input!
Waiting to hear your comparison between 2 of them.

I have the KaloriK, and I don't bother much about the gap between the doors as I don't feel like there is a heat loss because of it. If I use air fry function, I have to lower the temperature significantly. For example, for the Jane's breaded chicken, if I set the Kalorik at 425 degrees as instructed on Jane's box, it will get burned in a few minutes. So I have to set it at about 330 or 340 degrees and cook it for about 12-15' totally (including flipping midway), which is faster than instructed. When rotisseriing a small chicken, I had to lower the temperature to 300 degree so I can run it for 40-50 mins to make sure it cooked through.

The Kalorik manual says clearly that the machine is hotter at the back and recommends us to turn the food front to back, and I just do the same.

What I like most about it is the size. It doesn't take much of counter space, but can hold a lot inside. what I used to cook in 2 batches now I can do in 1 batch.
Jan 18, 2015
22 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznmidnite wrote: I received the Frigidaire one the other day from Walmart (still waiting for the Kalorik from The Bay).

Some things to note:
2 fan speeds.
Accessories:
Air fryer basket
Wire rack
Rotisserie spit
Crumb/drip tray

Thanks!
Thanks. It's on sale for $119.98. How many preset cooking programs ? Would you mind give me the inner measurements?
Last edited by Maxkuku on Dec 19th, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 4, 2016
170 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maxkuku wrote: Thanks. It's on sale for $119.97. How many preset cooking programs ? Would you mind give me the inner measurements?
Where is it on sale for $119.97 now?
Thanks.
Jan 18, 2015
22 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
1tallaznguy wrote: You have a link?
I see $179
I have the link but it sold out. It's good for a price adjustment (reg. price @169.98).
Dec 11, 2006
442 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
origami wrote: Waiting to hear your comparison between 2 of them.

I have the KaloriK, and I don't bother much about the gap between the doors as I don't feel like there is a heat loss because of it. If I use air fry function, I have to lower the temperature significantly. For example, for the Jane's breaded chicken, if I set the Kalorik at 425 degrees as instructed on Jane's box, it will get burned in a few minutes. So I have to set it at about 330 or 340 degrees and cook it for about 12-15' totally (including flipping midway), which is faster than instructed. When rotisseriing a small chicken, I had to lower the temperature to 300 degree so I can run it for 40-50 mins to make sure it cooked through.

The Kalorik manual says clearly that the machine is hotter at the back and recommends us to turn the food front to back, and I just do the same.

What I like most about it is the size. It doesn't take much of counter space, but can hold a lot inside. what I used to cook in 2 batches now I can do in 1 batch.
The Frigidaire is a bit larger than the Kalorik Maxx. I can supply the measurements tomorrow.

I just unboxed the Maxx and ran it to get the smell out of it. I didn't have to run it as many times to get the smell out compared to the Frigidaire.

I will try to cook some toast and maybe a frozen pizza tomorrow.

The Maxx definitely has a lot more presets, and a few more accessories compared to the Frigidaire. Having more presets and the steak tray accessory initially made me lean towards the Maxx, but if those default presets need to be adjusted anyways, would that still be a "pro" for me?

The Maxx also has a higher temperature setting of 500F, while the Frigidaire goes up to 450F.
The Maxx also has a longer maximum cooking timer in air fryer mode of 1 hour and 30 minutes I believe, while the Frigidaire has a maximum of 1 hour.

The Maxx's French door handles are definitely much hotter to the touch compared to the Frigidaire's "regular" type of oven door handle. I was trying to carefully and gently put the back of my hand near the gap between the door to feel for any heat coming out, and I accidentally touched the door very briefly, as there is not much room between the handles on the door and the door itself (compared to the Frigidaire oven door handle). Being more careful and/or using an oven mitt would avoid this issue for me with the Maxx :)

I'm still on the fence, but will try cooking in the Maxx tomorrow and try to come up with a decision. I definitely like the door on the Frigidaire better as it also has a rubber seal that goes all the way around.

Thanks.
Last edited by aznmidnite on Dec 22nd, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 11, 2006
442 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
Maxkuku wrote: Thanks. It's on sale for $119.98. How many preset cooking programs ? Would you mind give me the inner measurements?
Approximate inner measurements of the Frigidaire (they claim it to be 25L):
13.25" x 7.5"x 11.5".

I'll attach some basic pictures that can hopefully give you an idea of the measurements.

Also will attach a couple pictures of the Frigidaire manual which explains some of the settings.

Thanks.
Images
  • 20201220_100955.jpg
  • 20201220_101023.jpg
  • 20201220_101126.jpg
  • 20201220_100411.jpg
  • 20201220_100600.jpg
Jan 18, 2015
22 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznmidnite wrote: Approximate inner measurements of the Frigidaire (they claim it to be 25L):
13.25" x 7.5"x 11.5".

I'll attach some basic pictures that can hopefully give you an idea of the measurements.

Also will attach a couple pictures of the Frigidaire manual which explains some of the settings.

Thanks.
Thanks for your detailsSmiling Face With Heart-shaped Eyes. I'm waiting to hear what you pick between the two.
Feb 4, 2016
170 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznmidnite wrote:
The Maxx definitely has a lot more presets, and a few more accessories compared to the Frigidaire. Having more presets and the steak tray accessory initially made me lean towards the Maxx, but if those default presets need to be adjusted anyways, would that still be a "pro" for me?

The Maxx also has a higher temperature setting of 500F, while the Frigidaire goes up to 450F.
The Maxx also has a longer maximum cooking timer of 1 hour and 30 minutes I believe, while the Frigidaire has a maximum of 1 hour.
By the look at your pictures, I guess one of the differences between the 2 is you can sear steak in the Kalorik and you can't in the Frigidaire as the Kaloric has more racks, and its 2 top ones are very close to the top heating element and fan, am I correct? Thanks.

I think I have to try steak after watching this:

I seems Walmart has sold out Frigidaire.
Mar 11, 2012
390 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone want to sell your Kalorik Air Fryer? PM me please, I am in Toronto.
Jan 18, 2015
22 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tsk888 wrote: Anyone want to sell your Kalorik Air Fryer? PM me please, I am in Toronto.
Maxx with 9 pieces $150 @Facebook marketplace .
Dec 11, 2006
442 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
Hello,
I will list some pros and cons that I personally find between the two. Apologies in advance (as I need more sleep) if some of these pros and cons I listed start blurring into just plain differences between the two products.

Frigidaire
Pros:
  • Oven door has seals all the way around
  • Food cooks evenly when using either the air fryer or the oven mode (probably due to the oven door having a seal all the way around), so no need to rotate the food 180 degrees like with the Kalorik Maxx
  • 2 fan speeds
  • A bit larger capacity compared to Kalorik Maxx
Cons:
  • "Only" 3 levels for rack placement (top level is about 3" from the top heating element) instead of Kalorik's 5 levels
  • No steak or bacon tray accessory
  • No handle accessory to remove the racks (small con for me)
  • Not as many presets compared to Kalorik Maxx (small con for me)
  • No recipe book (small con for me)

Kalorik Maxx
Pros:
  • 5 levels for rack placement (the highest one is for the dehydrator function, which I probably won't really use). Dehydrate level is about 0.5" from top heating element, and steak/fast air fry level is about 1.5" from top heating element, and the 3rd level from the top is about 3" from the top heating element. Also, some common presets are marked on the glass door for easy identification of what level to use
  • Ability to cook/sear steaks at 500 degrees.  Steak preset is the only preset that will go to 500 degrees (Frigidaire's maximum temperature for any of their presets is 450 degrees)
  • Includes steak and bacon tray accessories
  • Includes handle to remove the racks
Cons:
  • French doors have a gap between them, and seal does not go all the way around
  • Foods cook unevenly when using "oven" function (foods near the front (closer to door) are not as done compared to the back), requiring foods to be rotated 180 degrees halfway through to ensure even cooking
  • French doors seem a bit flimsy compared to the Frigidaire (I've had the French doors close accidentally a couple times when they have been bumped slightly, which is not an issue with the Frigidaire)
  • Door handles get much hotter compared to Frigidaire (small con for me)
  • A bit smaller in capacity compared to Frigidaire (small con for me)

Other differences:
Heating elements
Frigidaire: Top - 4 horizontal, Bottom - 2 horizontal
Kalorik Maxx: Top -  2 horizontal + 1 "swirled", Bottom - 2 horizontal

Timer (Maximum)
Frigidaire: Air fryer mode - 1 hour (except dehydrate - 72 hours), Oven mode - 2 hours
Kalorik Maxx: Air fryer mode - 1 hour 30 minutes (except dehydrate - 9 hours 59 minutes), Oven mode - 1 hour 30 minutes

Interior light
Frigidaire: Does not auto shut off, and protrudes at the back right of the oven
Kalorik Maxx: Auto shuts off after a minute
Some may consider this difference a pro, while others may consider this a con (a review mentioned someone found this as a con when they were trying to clean inside the unit and the light auto shut off). Light is recessed at the back right of the oven, behind a glass cover. Manual mentions it is a replaceable 2 pin bulb.

Fan
Frigidaire: Besides the above mentioned 2 speeds, the fan has a "grill" between it and the heating elements (you can see in a picture from one of my previous posts in this thread). Maybe this would help shield the fan from any splatter?
Kalorik Maxx: Fan has no "grill" between it and the heating elements (if you want me to include a picture, I can)

Crumb tray
Frigidaire: Can be accessed without opening door
Kalorik Maxx: Can be accessed by opening doors

There are also differences between the two in regards their presets for minimum and maximum temperatures as well as timers.

If the Frigidaire did steaks, I would definitely keep the Frigidaire.

However, I may keep the Kalorik Maxx, even though we don't eat steak much (it is still nice to have that steak option), and even though I'm not a fan of the French doors.

Argh...I'm still on the fence! 

*Edit: I could almost have went either way, but I returned the Frigidaire this morning.
Feb 4, 2016
170 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznmidnite wrote:
Argh...I'm still on the fence! 
I can feel you. If I were in your shoes, I would scratch my head as well. When I found out the Frigidaire was unavailable, I felt glad because I didn't have to think twice about 'should I get this or that'.
Thank you for the thorough review. Have a wonderful Christmas!