Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Kanto Tuk (open box)high end audiophile bookshelf speakers from $1099 to $649

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2023 7:21 pm
Sep 21, 2019
25 posts
44 upvotes

[Walmart] Kanto Tuk (open box)high end audiophile bookshelf speakers from $1099 to $649

Delivers clarity and performance that put it in a class of its own, TUK is designed to push the limits on what a bookshelf speaker can
I don't think the deal is bad. Seems its sold from a third party electronics for less? There is a return policy and I know Kanto's warranty first hand. 2 years is awesome in these times. I got my pair for around the same if not less from memory express. They weren't open box's but I havnt seen this price regardless. Do your homework.
1AACBFC0-DAB4-463D-AEA5-8EAFBB68F9F5.jpeg
32 replies
May 12, 2012
95 posts
82 upvotes
CALGARY
Good find

Not quite "High End", this is at best above average on the low end
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11770 upvotes
GTA
If you decide to do a return there's a restocking fee and you have to pay the return shipping cost.
Sep 16, 2020
26 posts
32 upvotes
If they don't actually have it in stock you won't know, and if they don't in a specific model or colorway you'll wait perhaps a month for shipment.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3741 posts
3512 upvotes
How do these compare to the one's people are selling from a van in the Walmart parking lot?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
wasn't this available for $699 during recent sales?

edit: it was on sale for $699 last Aug. $649 for a returned/open box is so-so deal then. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/search. ... =titleonly
I remember seeing this for sale at that price a few times as well.

My advice: if you are looking for an active speaker, you should be also looking at various studio monitors from JBL, Kali, Adam Audio, Focal and others which will give you better sound quality in this price range.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1455 posts
937 upvotes
Hawkesbury, ON
Hmm. "Audiophile" obviously can be interpreted differently.

I'll stick with my KEF and NAD set-up (which I consider low-end audiophile at best)
Last edited by torpdude on Mar 28th, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2020
78 posts
199 upvotes
REALLY! -- since when does Kanto became audiophile grade?
Nov 22, 2009
981 posts
1445 upvotes
Toronto
who8myrice wrote: Man. Kanto YU2's are selling for a reduced price as well. I imagine these will go quick.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Kanto-YU2-Powered-Desktop-Speakers-GLOSS-BLACK-Open-Box/PRD18Q71M4J8058
Inflation really be crazy...I paid $150 no tax for these in 2016 off Amazon. Also a white pair used on Amazon warehouse for $190.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GMP ... =UTF8&th=1
May 10, 2021
248 posts
1417 upvotes
I wonder if it's possible to post about speakers without having any comments from douchy gatekeepers ?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
torpdude wrote: Hmm. "Audiophile" obviously can be interpreted differently.
audiophile is such a useless term. To me it has a lot of negative connotations (goldeneared people who buy into snakeoil products)

In the world of audio, this is just a higher grade consumer multimedia speaker. As I said, if you want accurate sound, you should be looking at studio monitors which usually fully disclose their measurements in their spec sheets

Nothing wrong with buying these if you like the sound but I wouldn't buy unless I could return these without penalty (restocking fees). Sound preference is so individual
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1455 posts
937 upvotes
Hawkesbury, ON
warpdrive wrote: audiophile is such a useless term. To me it has a lot of negative connotations (goldeneared people who buy into snakeoil products)

In the world of audio, this is just a higher grade consumer multimedia speaker. As I said, if you want accurate sound, you should be looking at studio monitors which usually fully disclose their measurements in their spec sheets

Nothing wrong with buying these if you like the sound but I wouldn't buy unless I could return these without penalty (restocking fees). Sound preference is so individual
A good read:

https://wallofsound.ca/misc/understanding-distortion/

I would argue that a powered speaker is no match for separate components. That said agreed, it is personal preference and if these speakers suit the individual’s need, then perfect. I also do agree with you that there are better choices for less.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1391 posts
629 upvotes
Hamilton
I have the Kanto YU on my main tv and its output is impressive for its size and clear once treble is maxed, I've seen reviews on the TUK are saying its on another level. I'm tempted to buy now.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Lol 2 down votes! WOW. Come on folks! One for bad price and one for bad product.

Thanks OP! Ignore those down voters!
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
There was a time when I was really interested in these TUK's but no longer.

For $700 I'd lean more to the Triangle Borea BR02 or the show room/open box Klipsch "The Five's" that London Drugs is clearing out right now. Both of these are active self powered pairs with grills and have more W.A.F. than a grill less studio monitor. Plus the Klipsch are more multi media enabled.

But, speaking of grill less studio monitors, if it was just my decision alone..... I'd probably go for the KALI Audio LP-6 v2 or IN-5 or IN-8 in that $700 to $1200 budget range.

I have a pair of Kanto YU2's - from 2014. They do not work miracles. They're fine for the desktop as a computer speaker and for background music in a larger room but that is it. They are not worth $270 imho.

I have had an a pair of Fluance Ai40's in a large workout space since 2018 and they're loud enough, have a bit of low end definition to them (not just thumpers) that can be felt, and are just fun to have there while torturing myself.

PS.... part of my reservation on the TUK's is that I think these things need an update to a version 2 to enable the LDAC Bluetooth codec for people who want to stream wirelessly and not have to buy an extra bluetooth box to connect via the RCA's.

Last edited by NewsyL on Mar 28th, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes
Buy these cause they look cool, hard to find a white speaker...
these and LS50s prob the best looking speakers

nice comes with a remote so you can use it for a TV
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
NewsyL wrote: There was a time when I was really interested in these TUK's but no longer.

For $700 I'd lean more to the Triangle Borea BR02 or the show room/open box Klipsch "The Five's" that London Drugs is clearing out right now. Both of these are active self powered pairs with grills and have more W.A.F. than a grill less studio monitor. Plus the Klipsch are more multi media enabled.

But, speaking of grill less studio monitors, if it was just my decision alone..... I'd probably go for the KALI Audio LP-6 v2 or IN-5 or IN-8 in that $700 to $1200 budget range for use in a .
yeah, so many good powered speakers to consider. For a general purpose multimedia speaker, I really like the Vanatoo line too (Transparent One Encore and the Zero). They punch above their size class because of passive radiators which allow a more compact size but the bass extension of a larger box. I'm also using the iLoud Micro Monitors. Really nice amount of bass out of something that fits in the palm of your hand.

For me, I also run passive speakers out of a small desktop amp. That way, I can choose whatever flavor of the month speakers I decide to buy :) Currently running Polk R100's out of a Topping MX5.
Images
  • 413963.3d32a561e0d1a0066a3976c876599389.1600.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)