• Aug 19th, 2021 2:16 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2021
92 posts
337 upvotes
Canada

[Walmart] Lenovo Smart Clock with the Google Assistant $59.99

Hi Guys,

This is nice deal on a Google Smart Clock. I assume they're making room for the new one.
Cheers
42 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1201 posts
494 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
The reason why we see massive discount on these devices is that --- smart clock is one more useless gadget that you would later throw them away in the garbage...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
xuanzh wrote: The reason why we see massive discount on these devices is that --- smart clock is one more useless gadget that you would later throw them away in the garbage...
Agree'd, this is just e-waste.
Aug 13, 2019
528 posts
811 upvotes
Naw I love my lenovo smart clock
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19386 posts
1942 upvotes
These things are useless without a camera. At least with Echo Show (simmilar price and form factor) you can make calls with it and use it for drop-in / security purposes.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Penalty Box
Jul 31, 2020
1225 posts
927 upvotes
I dont get the hate, the price is bit higher than I would like but its just smart clock. I always have clocks anyway, and I got mine for $40 IIRC.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1021 posts
698 upvotes
kyoxxx wrote: Better to get this one if you are looking for a smart clock. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... lsrc=aw.ds
This small size color screen is useless
This. Don't spend 60 on a terrible small screen. For comparison, you can get the Nest Hub for a little more than the Lenovo that has a bigger screen and arguably better hardware.
Aug 20, 2007
27 posts
27 upvotes
I am not sure if you guys get the idea of a "smart clock". A clock is not supposed to watch you sleep.. Or anything else, especially when you use it as a night stand clock.

And that is why it's low priced. It's a clock.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1077 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I have one, it's meh, I paid 50$ for it from BestBuy, good for music and weather, that's it, and that's ok.

Would'Ve been nice to have YouTube but them the breaks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
2hdass wrote: I am not sure if you guys get the idea of a "smart clock". A clock is not supposed to watch you sleep.. Or anything else, especially when you use it as a night stand clock.

And that is why it's low priced. It's a clock.
But, but... This one tells you the weather in the morning, and other useless info. And it's a Smart device.... And you wake up feeling more rested.... AND it has a usb charger for your phone!! [/sarcasm]
Apr 12, 2018
24 posts
29 upvotes
I've used this every day for the past couple of years and I like it, but by all accounts the colour screen doesn't really add anything and you're better off going with the cheaper "Smart Clock Essential" linked above.
Sep 4, 2016
98 posts
84 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I agree with the above sentiment, go for the Smart Clock Essential.
I have the original and have used it for the last year or more.

Regarding using a hub instead....I feel the hub is way to big.
Nov 23, 2018
958 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
rb wrote: Usually on sale at $49 iirc, pretty useless device better off with Google hub ....
wasnt it $35 before?
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1021 posts
698 upvotes
JonathanSun wrote: wasnt it $35 before?
The "Essential" version is $35. Not a color screen and IMO a better option anyway.
Oct 31, 2007
3494 posts
547 upvotes
I have been using this since May, though it was on sale for $39 at that time. I guess I am in the minority on liking the color screen because in a pinch I can bring up my Nest cams on it to see who the hecks ringing my doorbell when I'm still in bed :) I guess I could just use my phone for that too but I am happy with it at that price.
Mar 9, 2020
193 posts
221 upvotes
59 is for sure not a deal and $119 would be insane. who would pay that?

I got 2 for $39 each and it's OK.
I like that it has the photoslideshow screensaver, it looks great on my office desk and it's good for my 5 year old son to have some photos and he uses google assistant for lights, music, and random questions.

The problem is in what it supports. If you just want a small google mini with a screen for time and photos, it's ok. if you expect to do things with the screen, you will be annoyed.
when I first got it it would show the nest cameras, not the YI cam.
now it doesn't even even show the nest cams. it just says "sure streaming the front door" then, "hmm something went wrong".

lenovo just says it's google, google says it's lenovo. Known issue.

these sorts of partnerships NEVER work out for the consumer. they just let it fall apart and then pass the ball back and forth blaming eachother and doing nothing.
Mar 8, 2010
71 posts
66 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: The reason why we see massive discount on these devices is that --- smart clock is one more useless gadget that you would later throw them away in the garbage...
And yet i've still been using mine for almost 2 years now. Its as much e-waste as a regular alarm clock would be e-waste. That is essentially all it is, just a clock with a google home mic/speaker built in. If you want google home in your bedroom for example and want an alarm clock, the use case would be there.

That being said this clock is frequently discounted to less than this. I personally wouldn't buy it at $60 and I agree that the same clock without the screen posted in this thread is a better value.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound
I have a few of these and use them regularly. I use them for time, weather, alarm, timer, music player, general Google Assistant smart speaker. It can also show you your Nest cameras if you have those.

They go on sale at Best Buy for $40 from time to time. A decent digital alarm clock would cost you at least $20 anyway.

I was deciding if the Essential version (no display) was better for an additional $5-$10 off but I decided against it.
Customizing the display looks a lot nicer than a generic clock. Plus the leading 0 looks ugly lol.. and the speaker isn't as good (though my Nest Mini speaker beats both).

I don't really ever interact with the touchscreen but I do use the display for things like weather details.
Another feature I love is how it shows what's playing on Spotify. Sometimes I play random playlists and don't know the songs. I used to have to find my phone and open Spotify to see what's playing on my Nest Mini speakers.

Anyway, it's a smart clock not a smart display. All of you guys complaining don't even know what you purchased yet blame the product for not doing what it's not designed to do in the first place.

BTW, smart speaker + digital alarm clock = 2 e-waste products into 1... Winking Face
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.