Credit Cards

Walmart mastercard signup fraud

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 9:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto

Walmart mastercard signup fraud

I signed up for a walmart mastercard in store recently and the sales guy signed me up for an optional Walmart Insurance program without my authorization.

I only found out this when I got a letter in the mail saying my coverage has been activated and they would charge me for this.

Is there anyone else with similar experience being defrauded by Walmart Financial Services ?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8325 posts
8940 upvotes
The Prairies
It’s not a fraud.
Call them and cancel the damn thing.
It’s really that easy.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8325 posts
8940 upvotes
The Prairies
mrtrump wrote: It is fraud in my opinion.
Yeah no doubt.
Anyway, like I said, it’s easy to call in and cancel the coverage.
How did you apply for this card? Paper application?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3711 posts
2372 upvotes
Edmonton
mrtrump wrote: I signed up for a walmart mastercard in store recently and the sales guy signed me up for an optional Walmart Insurance program without my authorization.

I only found out this when I got a letter in the mail saying my coverage has been activated and they would charge me for this.

Is there anyone else with similar experience being defrauded by Walmart Financial Services ?
Didn’t you sign something at the time? The check box for the coverage was likely ticked.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Yes already cancelled... And wasted 15 mins of my time. And more time to be wasted probably later to check if they dont bill me on the first or second statement.

It was done in store ... A paper form.

@starchoice I dont remember if I signed but sales guy didnt mention anything about the Insurance Coverage...neither did I see it anywhere on the form.


coolintheshade wrote: Yeah no doubt.
Anyway, like I said, it’s easy to call in and cancel the coverage.
How did you apply for this card? Paper application?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2016
1081 posts
953 upvotes
ON
It’s the worst kept secret in the financial industry. Basically you sign up for everything because in our excitement we fail to go through the document with a fine tooth comb and the agent takes advantage of that. And when the letter arrives in the mail, we have to call in to cancel. I know it sucks.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Newbie
Feb 15, 2018
25 posts
33 upvotes
mrtrump wrote: Yes already cancelled... And wasted 15 mins of my time. And more time to be wasted probably later to check if they dont bill me on the first or second statement.

It was done in store ... A paper form.

@starchoice I dont remember if I signed but sales guy didnt mention anything about the Insurance Coverage...neither did I see it anywhere on the form.
They could've slipped in a page to make them your power of attorney and you would've signed...

Psa to everyone: read before you sign! It's a simple yet often neglected skill.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2010
2177 posts
1687 upvotes
GTA
Not to intrude on your choice of credit card but RBC Mastercard gives you 2% at Walmart (including taxes).
The reason I bring this up is that in case you change your mind and get the RBC MC instead, call these people up to cancel the WM Mastercard, tell them why.
I expect they would offer you credit to compensate you for your trouble at the cancellation time (in exchange for not cancelling). Then you can review if the credit amount makes up for their dishonesty or just cancel it. That's the way to stick it to them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6247 posts
2624 upvotes
West GTEH!
you could've signed up online @Walmart.ca.
Unless there was extra sign-up bonus in-store.
😎
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
OR the more likely scenario is after I signed and was out of sight, he checked the boxes on the form. Sneaky ba$tard.

BTW i did glance thru the form to make sure what I was signing up for. So theres no way he could have done something like a POA. Atleast not to me.
ryanco64 wrote: They could've slipped in a page to make them your power of attorney and you would've signed...

Psa to everyone: read before you sign! It's a simple yet often neglected skill.
Newbie
Feb 15, 2018
25 posts
33 upvotes
mrtrump wrote: OR the more likely scenario is after I signed and was out of sight, he checked the boxes on the form. Sneaky ba$tard.

BTW i did glance thru the form to make sure what I was signing up for. So theres no way he could have done something like a POA. Atleast not to me.
Fair enough, they're sneaky little bastards I must admit. Smiling Face With Open Mouth They only chase the commission for the signups.
Thankfully, it was easy enough to cancel from the looks of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1530 posts
854 upvotes
Holystone wrote: It’s the worst kept secret in the financial industry. Basically you sign up for everything because in our excitement we fail to go through the document with a fine tooth comb and the agent takes advantage of that. And when the letter arrives in the mail, we have to call in to cancel. I know it sucks.
How would someone get excited about getting a Walmart Card?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2016
1081 posts
953 upvotes
ON
^ That's a good one! Face With Tears Of Joy
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1773 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
When I got the PC Mastercard it came also with the insurance, I had to cancel it right away through Facebook.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3645 posts
849 upvotes
People are probably excited to get that $25 Walmart credit by accepting this card.
Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
Webhead wrote: you could've signed up online @Walmart.ca.
Unless there was extra sign-up bonus in-store.
Maybe the op fancied the sales rep. Winking Face

Top