Shopping Discussion

Walmart mobile returns, YMMV at certain locations, buyer beware

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 1:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1491 posts
1856 upvotes
Mississauga

Walmart mobile returns, YMMV at certain locations, buyer beware

I purchased a new device from the Matheson Walmart Mobile location in Mississauga under a 2 year contract with Freedom. Within the GTA I could not coverage when trying to make a call during a storm event, so decided to return the unopened device and cancel my service with Freedom on the 6th day. I was shocked when the agent at the Walmart wireless counter said to me that we are not accepting returns because of Covid. I showed him the receipt that showed returns are allowed upto 15 days of the date of purchase. He kept insisting that the document has not been updated and refused to honour the written return policy.

What are my options besides filing a complaint with BBB? Do I call the OSL mobile services and complain to them that one of their employee is refusing to accept returns in violation of the agreement in order not to lose his "sale commission" and is acting rogue? Looking for some guidance here. Thanks in advance.
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
300 LD Can/US minutes, 2000 LD minutes to India, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ smartwatch plan
Rogers $46.99 - Legacy Gigabit internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1145 posts
1750 upvotes
scarborough
Agree,, Walmart has become a major pain in the a$$ to deal with. Excuse there Covid policy.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2542 posts
3515 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I would contact Walmart via their call centre or using the direct messaging function of a social media app like Facebook Messager or Twitter.

If that doesn't present immediate results call Freedom directly.

I do find generally from my personal interactions with multiple retailers that you often get better results from Social Media teams as they are more likely to be Canadian based whereas the call centres are usually overseas in the Phillipines or India.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
How did you make a call with an "unopened" device?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
19050 posts
6423 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: How did you make a call with an "unopened" device?
Use the sim in a different phone?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1811 posts
310 upvotes
Maybe go and talk to another rep. I just got a phone from Walmart in Durham region and the rep makes you initial and advises you that you have 14 day to return. If not the go and tell the rep to call the store manager and have a conversation with him/her.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2542 posts
3515 upvotes
St Clements, MB
alpovs wrote: How did you make a call with an "unopened" device?
Don't you have a home phone, or know where a Bell Canada Payphone is located or can you borrow your neighbour's phone?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
cslusarc wrote: Don't you have a home phone, or know where a Bell Canada Payphone is located or can you borrow your neighbour's phone?
Did you read the OP?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2542 posts
3515 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I've never bought a phone from Walmart, but may I assume that "OSL Mobile Services" is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Wal-Mart just like The Mobile Shop is wholly-owned by Loblaws?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3922 posts
3778 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Use the sim in a different phone?
Common sense isn't common these days.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6075 posts
7487 upvotes
GTA
It says 15 day return for post paid phones right on Walmart's website. They have to honour that unless a notice is posted stating otherwise. The rep can't just say that the document hasn't been updated yet. Go to another rep or get a manger involve and don't take no returns as an answer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7369 posts
8052 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I'm guessing no one really wanted to take it up but I'm surprised Walmart's covid return policy didn't get challenged against the Competition Act or to the Office of Consumer Affairs.

Not being able to return unopened product that you could previously was peak BS, especially since they were the only ones that did it (such as with headphones).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6075 posts
7487 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: I'm guessing no one really wanted to take it up but I'm surprised Walmart's covid return policy didn't get challenged against the Competition Act or to the Office of Consumer Affairs.

Not being able to return unopened product that you could previously was peak BS, especially since they were the only ones that did it (such as with headphones).
A lot of retailers weren't doing returns for a while early last year (in Ontario anyway). They extended the return period including Walmart. I believe Walmart was the only larger retailer to not allow any returns on open products after returns in store were allowed again.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7369 posts
8052 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
tew wrote: A lot of retailers weren't doing returns for a while early last year (in Ontario anyway). They extended the return period including Walmart. I believe Walmart was the only larger retailer to not allow any returns on open products after returns in store were allowed again.
As far as I'm aware Walmart never blanket-banned returns period in Canada. They just changed their return policy out of nowhere and part of that was deciding that random products could no longer be returned even if they were unopened.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1491 posts
1856 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks folks for helping out, I am going to try again tomorrow and talk to a manager at the store, failing which I will contact the OSL services on Monday as they are not open on the weekends.

Update: I went today and was able to return the device as there was a different agent. So it looks like the previous agent was trying not to lose his commission so misguided me into believing some policy that did not exist. Thanks everyone for helping out.
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
300 LD Can/US minutes, 2000 LD minutes to India, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ smartwatch plan
Rogers $46.99 - Legacy Gigabit internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
WMPCOT wrote: Common sense isn't common these days.
Common sense is to use the SIM in the new phone because different phones support different bands and a "different phone" may not support the needed bands. This is especially true for Freedom Mobile, it uses bands many phone don't support. So, they sell phones that work with them.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3922 posts
3778 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Common sense is to use the SIM in the new phone because different phones support different bands and a "different phone" may not support the needed bands. This is especially true for Freedom Mobile, it uses bands many phone don't support. So, they sell phones that work with them.
And you think the OP had a phone that doesn't support the bands because? Seems like you're making (more) assumptions to make your argument valid when you have no information to basis it on.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
WMPCOT wrote: And you think the OP had a phone that doesn't support the bands because? Seems like you're making (more) assumptions to make your argument valid when you have no information to basis it on.
Did you read the OP? Because the OP said this:
jadoogar wrote: Within the GTA I could not coverage when trying to make a call during a storm event, so decided to return the unopened device
I suppose the OP meant "I could not get coverage". I am pretty sure there is coverage within the GTA.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3922 posts
3778 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Did you read the OP? Because the OP said this:

I suppose the OP meant "I could not get coverage". I am pretty sure there is coverage within the GTA.
During a storm event says it all, that means they had coverage and only during such an event the coverage was inadequate for their needs. Apparently you didn't read it well or perhaps comprehension is the issue.

Thanks for the back and forth but I'll bow out here. You can keep grasping at straws to prove your assumptions.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2003
4387 posts
1037 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
alpovs wrote: Did you read the OP? Because the OP said this:

I suppose the OP meant "I could not get coverage". I am pretty sure there is coverage within the GTA.
there are dead zones, the coverage isn't 100%, it sucks in places like Milton

Top