• Dec 30th, 2020 11:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4508 posts
1272 upvotes
Charlottetown

Walmart next day pickup changed

Well this is annoying. Ordered TV on Boxing Day, said in stock in local store, chose curbside pickup, reply email said processing and would be ready yesterday....... now says shipping to store from Mississauga and expected store pickup date is Jan 7th. I could have chose free home delivery and gotten it at that date, i chose curbside pickup so i wouldn't have to wait and could get it the next day. Stupid Walmart.
4 replies
Oct 8, 2020
291 posts
425 upvotes
Ottawa
Here's the thing: When you do in-store pickup for items sold by Walmart (and it shows item in stock) the item(s) are picked the morning of the day you pick up your order. So let's say I place an order today for next Tuesday at 3pm, my order won't be picked until overnight next Tuesday or in the morning. While they might have stock today, other customers physically shopping in the store could buy it before then and the store may not get more stock by the time I pick up my order. If the store runs out of stock, they'll either substitute it or have it brought in from the distribution centre which delays the customer getting the item. Essentially customers shopping in store get preferred treatment. Could you imagine shopping in store, put an item in your cart, bring it to the cash register, and being told 'sorry you can't buy this item because another customer reserved it'.

I'd like to say as soon as a customer buys an item online available in store that it should be picked right away, but the store would need a ton more staff for that to happen. As a customer myself, it's frustrating!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4508 posts
1272 upvotes
Charlottetown
Ah, okay. I had assumed since i had ordered it before the store opened it would not have been put on the floor.
Oct 8, 2020
291 posts
425 upvotes
Ottawa
townie22 wrote: Ah, okay. I had assumed since i had ordered it before the store opened it would not have been put on the floor.
While there are picks done (aka scanning stuff out of the backroom onto the sales floor), that's usually only done for overstock and in that case it still doesn't show if a customer has it on order. It's literally just transferring the product from 1 part of the store to the other. Also, product from the truck gets brought right to the sales floor. Nobody is scanning it to see if a customer has ordered it online. That's the job of the online team.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3144 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
This sounds more like a ship to store order, that's why the delivery date gets changed.

If it's a grocery pickup order that they couldn't substitue, my understanding is that all orders are auto-cancelled at the end of the day.