Shopping Discussion

Walmart no longer matches competitor flyer prices - and it will cost you plenty!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2021 3:19 am
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Stopping to price match was purely profit driven, nothing to do with customer experience. They are replacing all the cashiers with self-checkouts, soon Walmart will be close to fully automated with no cashiers at checkouts.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
4218 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
its been like this for more than half a year

vote with your wallet

dont shop there
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
But lovest price guaranty, LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
Oh common give him a break, I don't get it, why so many downvots, don't you want to save money I know I do and stopped shopping at Walmart.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
2872 posts
3519 upvotes
Vancouver
Bro, if you have the free time to go through a stack of grocery flyers and figure out that Tropicana is $2 cheaper at another store, you probably have the free time to go to the other store to buy the juice.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
They don't care if you point out price gaps. They work at the store, they don't make the prices. If you find a cheaper price, speak with your wallet.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
kopokipi wrote: Oh common give him a break, I don't get it, why so many downvots, don't you want to save money I know I do and stopped shopping at Walmart.
This topic was already discussed when Walmart stopped their Ad Match program and another thread was not needed

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
carmaster wrote: Stopping to price match was purely profit driven, nothing to do with customer experience. They are replacing all the cashiers with self-checkouts, soon Walmart will be close to fully automated with no cashiers at checkouts.
Or turned into internet fulfillment centers.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Walmart is not even competitive on everyday prices. You will find things cheaper elsewhere.
Walmart is nothing but a convenience store now.
I only buy there if it's 9PM and I can't think of another store that has it that's open.

Although oddly enough Amazon is a convenience store but for completely different reasons.
It's convenient to know that if I need something no matter how ridiculous Amazon probably has it.

kopokipi wrote: But lovest price guaranty, LOL
This misspelling is hilarious because I can see them doing something like that.

"No no. Not *lowest*. Lovest! We love making you pay more!"
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Boo hoo, just shop elsewhere. Vote with your wallet! I only PM online these days or just buy from the place with the lower price, in person PMs are too YMMV and a waste of time, particularly if you make a special trip just to PM.

I hate walmart, have not set foot in one in well over 10 years until 2019 when I went in to pick up a phone to churn on a GC promo. Everything about my local Walmart sucks, hate the store smell, the parking lot, the shit products, the shit associates, and all the local human riff-raff that seems to congregate there.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1098 posts
416 upvotes
Pickering
This definitely didn't go as the OP planned. Then again only 3 posts in 7 years., likely won't see him/her again for another 3 years.
Feb 3, 2021
93 posts
26 upvotes
Sharks316 wrote: Good on Wal Mart too many people abuse it Clapping Hands Sign
How can you abuse Ad Matching? They're literally protected by the fact that another competitor has to sell that exact product at that price for it to work.
Feb 3, 2021
93 posts
26 upvotes
demon1102 wrote: Don't blame employees because they cannot do anything with that. However, if you have the chance to punch Sam's face, please film that. (I would love to see)
Sam? Like the looooonnnnnggggggg deceased founder of Walmart?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4114 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
OP, you're about 3/4 year late to the party. Walmart stopped price matching in Oct 2020. I'm not sure what you were expecting trying to price match a product that late after their policy change.

I've just stopped shopping at Walmart to boycott the policy. If it bothers you that much, I suggest you do the same. I wish others did too.
Vote with your wallet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
How many grams of sugar in that so called juice? People still buy this stuff?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2279 posts
2192 upvotes
Hardly step my feet inside Walmart store(s) since April 2020 as there is NO real deals included the rollbacks advertised..
Not worthy to spend monies at Walmart Canada as most stuffs are getting too pretty pricey esp groceries and food essentials.
Even worst, the nearest Walmart does not stock its inventories despite seeing its staff working around(or rather ,,, walking empty-handed)
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
The people who complained loudest about the change in policy are also the ones who say they never visit Walmarts, hate them, hate the people that work there, etc...

So, basically, they only deigned to go to Walmart to take advantage of a price match. That's probably exactly the clientele Walmart didn't want anymore. They've basically fired you.
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeMontrealer wrote: The people who complained loudest about the change in policy are also the ones who say they never visit Walmarts, hate them, hate the people that work there, etc...

So, basically, they only deigned to go to Walmart to take advantage of a price match. That's probably exactly the clientele Walmart didn't want anymore. They've basically fired you.
As a Walmart front-end associate, I couldn't agree more! Price-matching up here is the equivalent of extreme couponing in the United States. Even in the era of being digital, we still had customers bringing in their paper flyers with their markers, getting 6 of everything that was a lower-price elsewhere. It wasn't uncommon to spend 10+ minutes with 1 of those customers. They almost never had anything in their buggy that wasn't a price-match. I don't think price-matching was designed for customers to price-match every single item in their buggy. It was meant to get you in the door with the hope you'd buy other things at regular price, perhaps pick up some clothing and other things.

We had some customers who would only price-match 1 thing despite full out knowing there was way more in their buggy they could have price-matched. Those customers were my favourite. Those customers decided to only price-match the highest priced item in their buggy like meat that would save them several dollars versus 10 cents.

As I said in the other price-matching thread, it took up a lot of time and led to customer-dissatisfaction through customers disputing our policy (aka trying to price-match bone-in chicken for boneless skinless chicken breast and medium ground beef for lean ground beef). Cashiers would say "No, you can't do that", customer would want to speak to a supervisor, it could take a few minutes for them to come over only to say "The cashier is right", then the customer wants to speak to a member of management who would say "Just do it." So you've now upset that customer with how much time you've wasted (even though they were wrong) not to mention every customer behind them upset. The customer who was wrong would called head office saying, "I had to wait 10-minutes for a decision on if I could price-match a particular item" then our store manager would call the customer to apologize and give them a $25 gift card. Then we'd have customers try and use digital flyers from stores on the other side of the country (because you input any postal code you want on Flipp) or using expired flyers hoping we were too dumb to realize they were using a screenshot.

Long story short, price-matching was more of a hassle than what it was worth. It was costing the company too much time and money, not to mention driving customers away. Due to the dissatisfaction, we were losing customers who were upset with our policy and customers who hated waiting in line behind customers who price-matched. You can't make everybody happy so the company obviously believed that discontinuing price-matching was the lesser of 2 evils.