• Aug 12th, 2021 10:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4467 posts
5442 upvotes
GTA

[Walmart] ONTARIO 3L Peaches or 2L Nectarines $2.87

Starting Thursday, Ontario Walmart has 3L Ontario Peaches or 2L Nectarines at $2.87 each.

Also Schneiders Juicy Jumbos 375-450g $2.88

Front page of flyer.....price match at No Frills, RCSS and Freshco
48 replies
May 23, 2008
996 posts
644 upvotes
Gtown ON
Why are they selling fruits by volume and not by weight? Most likely to cover that you pay 3 bucks for 4 peaches. On sale.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2296 posts
2374 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: Why are they selling fruits by volume and not by weight? Most likely to cover that you pay 3 bucks for 4 peaches. On sale.
Are you new to Canada? Or are you a Russian spy trying to blend in and sow discord (but failing at both)?Smiling Face With Horns
Peaches have been sold in baskets (by volume) in Ontario for more than 100 years.
A three-litre basket should easily contain more than 4 lbs of peaches. At $2.87 on sale, it is a great bargain for Niagara peaches, even by weight (especially by weight). It is obviously a "loss-leader" price; wholesale, the farmers sell for around $2-$3 per basket (especially for "first of the season" fruit). Regular (non-sale) price in a discount supermarket should be $4.99 or higher, but Niagara peaches are often offered as "loss-leader" at low-prices to entice customers into the stores.

Feel free to buy Ontario peaches by weight at most upscale supermarkets, it is usually $1.99 to $2.99 per pound. Or cheaper, waxy-tasting peaches imported from the USA.
Last edited by ahoroba on Aug 4th, 2021 9:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6454 posts
2780 upvotes
West GTEH!
RaidZero wrote: Why are they selling fruits by volume and not by weight? Most likely to cover that you pay 3 bucks for 4 peaches. On sale.
Peaches have always been sold this way in Ontario, in baskets by volume.
Or by weight , loose peaches. (as Ahoroba pointed out).

I always look forward to Ontario peaches in Summertime.
😎
Jul 7, 2013
876 posts
1215 upvotes
I thought I got a good deal w/ Metro's $3.88 sale last week - always look fwd to Niagara peach season. Going to try making a bourbon jam & Master Chef winning peach dessert with them.

However, I find it frustrating when they say ON on them but they don't really ripen ever before they rot. I try to get the most fragrant and ripe basket but usually they have some green sheen to them. The Metro ones are not bad, ripening slowly but not super flavourful nor sweet, I'd rate 6/10. Hoping to pass a fruit stand where someone drove up some from Niagara region but likely YOW is too far north for that.

Thx for the heads up OP & RCSS PP - upvoted of course!

cheers,
:)
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2469 posts
2224 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Same price in QC, starting tomorrow
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2296 posts
2374 upvotes
klamchowder wrote: I thought I got a good deal w/ Metro's $3.88 sale last week - always look fwd to Niagara peach season. Going to try making a bourbon jam & Master Chef winning peach dessert with them.

However, I find it frustrating when they say ON on them but they don't really ripen ever before they rot. I try to get the most fragrant and ripe basket but usually they have some green sheen to them. The Metro ones are not bad, ripening slowly but not super flavourful nor sweet, I'd rate 6/10. Hoping to pass a fruit stand where someone drove up some from Niagara region but likely YOW is too far north for that.

Thx for the heads up OP & RCSS PP - upvoted of course!

cheers,
:)
You are correct: the "first of the season" Niagara peaches compromise a bit on the flavour and sweetness/ripeness, just for the sake of appearing early on the supermarket shelves. Be patient for two more weeks and the best ones will show up. Or, make time to visit the Niagara region, and you can find fully ripe peaches even this week.
May 23, 2008
996 posts
644 upvotes
Gtown ON
ahoroba wrote: ...
Wow, based on the response, you must be really involved with Ontario peaches. You must work in that industry, or have a family member that does that.
I was just questioning the practice of selling certain fruits by volume and not by weight, and made no comments on their provenience. But if you find that extremely important, here we go.
Are you new to Canada? Or are you a Russian spy trying to blend in and sow discord (but failing at both)?Smiling Face With Horns
All of the above. Cause you must be a spy to question something. SMH. Attacking the person, not the idea, that's very smart.
Peaches have been sold in baskets (by volume) in Ontario for more than 100 years.
So what. Some of us live in the 21st century. If you want to change nothing and have everything like it was in 1921 because "tradition", feel free to do that, but please keep your horse and buggy away from the highways, it's unsafe.
A three-litre basket should easily contain more than 4 lbs of peaches. At $2.87 on sale, it is a great bargain for Niagara peaches, even by weight (especially by weight). It is obviously a "loss-leader" price; wholesale, the farmers sell for around $2-$3 per basket (especially for "first of the season" fruit).
Then why not sell it per pound? Why not sell apples in baskets of 1 litre, 2 litres and 3.1415 litres, just because. Not logical.
Regular (non-sale) price in a discount supermarket should be $4.99 or higher, but Niagara peaches are often offered as "loss-leader" at low-prices to entice customers into the stores.
The fact that they are offered as loss leaders is irrelevant. Many products are. If they would sell them by the pound, I can compare the prices.
Feel free to buy Ontario peaches by weight at most upscale supermarkets, it is usually $1.99 to $2.99 per pound.
Thanks for your concern about my finances.
Or cheaper, waxy-tasting peaches imported from the USA.
Honestly, I don't care that much from where peaches come from. If Ontario, great, I like to support local growers. But on the hand we are talking Walmart here, so yeah.
As for Ontario peaches, I honestly did not pay attention. What I care is that, as someone above noted, they are not green when I buy them, cause they will never ripe.

And I don't know what wax tastes like, but I bow before your seemingly first hand knowledge in that aspect.
Aug 25, 2008
681 posts
505 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: Wow, based on the response, you must be really involved with Ontario peaches. You must work in that industry, or have a family member that does that.
I was just questioning the practice of selling certain fruits by volume and not by weight, and made no comments on their provenience. But if you find that extremely important, here we go.

All of the above. Cause you must be a spy to question something. SMH. Attacking the person, not the idea, that's very smart.

So what. Some of us live in the 21st century. If you want to change nothing and have everything like it was in 1921 because "tradition", feel free to do that, but please keep your horse and buggy away from the highways, it's unsafe.

Then why not sell it per pound? Why not sell apples in baskets of 1 litre, 2 litres and 3.1415 litres, just because. Not logical.

The fact that they are offered as loss leaders is irrelevant. Many products are. If they would sell them by the pound, I can compare the prices.

Thanks for your concern about my finances.

Honestly, I don't care that much from where peaches come from. If Ontario, great, I like to support local growers. But on the hand we are talking Walmart here, so yeah.
As for Ontario peaches, I honestly did not pay attention. What I care is that, as someone above noted, they are not green when I buy them, cause they will never ripe.

And I don't know what wax tastes like, but I bow before your seemingly first hand knowledge in that aspect.
Jebus dude. He was joking. Lighten up.

PS Milk is also sold in bags in Canada ;) Face With Tears Of Joy
---------------------
Koodo $39 / 13 gb
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6924 upvotes
The NORTH
Came for the peaches, found the drama...

Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1904 posts
1259 upvotes
Painman wrote: Jebus dude. He was joking. Lighten up.

PS Milk is also sold in bags in Canada ;) Face With Tears Of Joy
Don't give the Russian our milk secrets.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11101 posts
5231 upvotes
Ive not seen the containers out here to be honest its always per lb you fill a bag. But i see walmart has the 3L or 2L containers for $2.87 this week.
I usually just go to superstore and its always per lb.

Ps: manitoba still sells jugs and cartons of milk no bags.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Apr 30, 2020
169 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver
peaches by volume doesnt really make sense but it's not like ahoroba came up with the idea lol
Mar 31, 2013
244 posts
180 upvotes
Sherwood Park
ahoroba wrote: Are you new to Canada? Or are you a Russian spy trying to blend in and sow discord (but failing at both)?Smiling Face With Horns
A three-litre basket should easily contain more than 4 lbs of peaches. At $2.87 on sale, it is a great bargain for Niagara peaches, even by weight (especially by weight). It is obviously a "loss-leader" price; wholesale, the farmers sell for around $2-$3 per basket (especially for "first of the season" fruit). Regular (non-sale) price in a discount supermarket should be $4.99 or higher, but Niagara peaches are often offered as "loss-leader" at low-prices to entice customers into the stores.

Feel free to buy Ontario peaches by weight at most upscale supermarkets, it is usually $1.99 to $2.99 per pound. Or cheaper, waxy-tasting peaches imported from the USA.
The peach knowledge in this forum is off the hook!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1092 posts
1800 upvotes
Victoria
MichelleM68328 wrote: Not in west
Generally you can't get Ontario peaches in the west.
It's all BC peaches here.
Ontario ones are a bit sweeter, but the BC ones are certainly miles better than the imported ones.
In BC, just like Ontario, you can buy them by volume or weight. I just bought a 2L basket of peaches from Thrifty Foods on the Island.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4467 posts
5442 upvotes
GTA
Unlike apples, local ripe peaches damage easily, transporting and selling them by the plastic basket helps prevent this.

The imports are not as ripe when picked/ shipped and for the shopper they are rarely tasty or cheap enough to want to buy them in volume, hence they are sold by the pound
Last edited by Kfox on Aug 5th, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2333 posts
1722 upvotes
No clue. But when you go do pick your own, it is generally measured in liters as well. Maybe larger fruits create more empty space so it automatically gets priced when placed into a volume container.

It's better than buying berries though, pints, oz or grams.
Feb 7, 2017
459 posts
237 upvotes
Went to RCSS this morning to buy peaches. Since there was a digital weight scale, I weighed three boxes (including plastic container) to see how much 3L was:
1) 1.655kg
2) 1.671kg
3) 1.711kg

I bought mine in plastic containers. I guess it can be different with the basket.