Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

OOMA Telo (VOIP hardware) - $65 (Walmart Clearance) (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 9:02 am
Aug 21, 2005
245 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Yup. Power goes out, phone still works as long as the battery backup lasts. Which has outlasted any outage since we have been in this house.

Well worth the $10 per month.
I prefer to get a UPS for the router and my ATA. Being tied to Blowgers in any way has not worked out well for me in the past.
vkizzle wrote: Rogers is much better than traditional VOIP, as it doesn't rely on an internet connection per se, as it's routed on it's own dedicated network.
a telepathic network, based on my research :D
Anyway, if Robbers and Ooma were my only two choices for VoIP, I'd choose Ooma in an instant.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Rogers is much better than traditional VOIP, as it doesn't rely on an internet connection per se, as it's routed on it's own dedicated network.
Except Rogers is notorious for having several widespread network outages a year.

If you gonna get a land line as a kind of insurance, might as well bite the bullet get a Bell pots line and hook it up to a corded/cordless combo phone set.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
I have had Ooma for a long time and works quite well without any need for tinkering. I’m sure there are cheaper options out there but I want a working soloution out of the box which Ooma delivers well.

The telemarketing filters in the premier service work very well as well.

Overall very easy to use especially if you install the app on a smartphone so you can check VM and even take calls using it.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: How much does the Obihai OBi200 cost right now?
I've been moving away from 'recurring cost' models (eg Hot water, home phone). Prefer to front-load the product/service and max free cash flow.
The 110's can be had for $10-$12 USD on ebay (use bidding). Yes they work perfectly fine without Google Voice. Load up FPL. The 110 allows a POTS line connection. Handy when you can negotiate free HP on their packages.
All thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
LawEightSix wrote: Half of me doesn't need this in the slightest. But the other half thinks having a land-line at home would be very beneficial to contact a babysitter or something if we are out and they are watching my kids. So there are free voip options??
I got FreePhoneLine 7yrs ago so that we can reach grandma during the day when she's babysitting my daughter, paid $25 for an ATA, and $50 for the configuration file/credentials, and nothing since then, not much use for it now, but free is free for a home phone with Canada-wide calling for life**
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2089 posts
1562 upvotes
What ATA? My FPL on Linksys PAP2T sounds like sh*t.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8234 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, what is an ATA?
remik wrote: I got FreePhoneLine 7yrs ago so that we can reach grandma during the day when she's babysitting my daughter, paid $25 for an ATA, and $50 for the configuration file/credentials, and nothing since then, not much use for it now, but free is free for a home phone with Canada-wide calling for life**
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
consumerPI wrote: Hi, what is an ATA?
Analog Telephone Adapter
Go obi or go home lol. My 100 going strong 7 years too
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
shayne85 wrote: What ATA? My FPL on Linksys PAP2T sounds like sh*t.
Grandstream HT701, calls are crystal clear.
Jul 2, 2014
173 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I recently switched from Vonage to Ooma. I got the device for $50 shipped from Ooma tell directly. There are ads on Kijiji which makes this possible for you to get the device for $50 directly from Ooma - comes with 1 year warranty.

For $15 dollars a month, which includes unlimited calling to Canada, US and 60 other countries, it is a really good price for a home phone. Plus it comes with 911 service.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
consumerPI wrote: Is Fongo basically the same as Whatsapp?
No, it is not. Fongo is a softphone client/app on your cellphone with a dialpad and they give you a free Canada number of your choice. Fongo also offers a VoIP service for $5.95/MTH where they ship you a programmed HT701 ATA so you can use it with a regular phone handset. FreePhoneLine is owned by the same company as Fongo, Fibernetics. Except with FreePhoneLine line instead of them sending you an ATA you have to get one on your own, you can pay $75 for the configuration credentials, and setup on your own, they offer no support.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
vabandroid wrote: I recently switched from Vonage to Ooma. I got the device for $50 shipped from Ooma tell directly. There are ads on Kijiji which makes this possible for you to get the device for $50 directly from Ooma - comes with 1 year warranty.

For $15 dollars a month, which includes unlimited calling to Canada, US and 60 other countries, it is a really good price for a home phone. Plus it comes with 911 service.

It's not the regular 911, but rather e911, you need to make sure your address is up to date with Ooma so in case of emergency your call is correctly routed to your local 911 dispatch. FPL also includes e911 but since there is no monthly fees they charge you $25 if you call 911, just not sure how they charge you that fee since there is no CC on the acct, probably just an invoice and threat of canceling your service if you do not pay.
Jul 2, 2014
173 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary, AB
remik wrote: It's not the regular 911, but rather e911, you need to make sure your address is up to date with Ooma so in case of emergency your call is correctly routed to your local 911 dispatch. FPL also includes e911 but since there is no monthly fees they charge you $25 if you call 911, just not sure how they charge you that fee since there is no CC on the acct, probably just an invoice and threat of canceling your service if you do not pay.
Hmmm.... I didn't know that. I have a CC on file for pre-authorized bill payments.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
DealCanuck wrote: Warm at best, better off with voipms
Been with them for about seven years, don't like that you have to pay in US dollars. Considering a switch because of that.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Mar 21, 2005
87 posts
56 upvotes
Thunder Bay
I recently bought an Ooma and notice a large voice delay when making calls with it. Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking of returning it and going with an Obi200 instead to see if that is any better.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
leafsfanatic wrote: I recently bought an Ooma and notice a large voice delay when making calls with it. Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking of returning it and going with an Obi200 instead to see if that is any better.
No issues the last 4yrs.
Is it hooked up via lan or wifi?
Sep 24, 2014
352 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto, ON
remik wrote: It's not the regular 911, but rather e911, you need to make sure your address is up to date with Ooma so in case of emergency your call is correctly routed to your local 911 dispatch. FPL also includes e911 but since there is no monthly fees they charge you $25 if you call 911, just not sure how they charge you that fee since there is no CC on the acct, probably just an invoice and threat of canceling your service if you do not pay.
freephoneline 911 calls are charged $35 dollars

https://www.freephoneline.ca/911

We have had freephoneline now for 4 years with an Obi200 and fortunately haven't had to call 911. There are occasional issues with VOIP but for the vast majority of those 4 years we have been working perfectly and paying nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
cdniron wrote: This is great for older non-technical people. My elderly parents were paying around 70+ per month for a landline (thanks Bell). They switched to this a few years back and couldn't be happier, as it is easy to setup and just works. For more technically inclined people there are cheaper options.
I'm very much technically inclined, but like the plug and play approach.
With the discounted premier plan and easy to use interface, for blacklisting numbers as an example, this is a a great option.