Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Ortho Killex Weed Killer Clearance (AB/SK)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 6:27 pm
Feb 23, 2017
197 posts
128 upvotes
Darnit. I was just at Walmart today. I live out of town :(
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kryton619 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 7:32 pm
I've been mixing a cup of salt, a tablespoon of dish washing soap with 4 litres of vinegar and putting that in the pump sprayer.....it kills the weeds quick and cheap.
It also kills grass as well which Killex won't.

BTW. A cheaper way to do it is to just use boiling water... much more environmentally friendly as well as you won't dumping salt and vinegar into the soil.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
waloshin wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 6:52 pm
Wonder if it causes cancer.
How much would you be planning to use and how often? For the average homeowner who may use it once or twice a year, I would doubt that the level of exposure would be worse than eating bacon every week for a year in terms of causing cancer. Now if you spray yourself with 2,4-D on a daily basis, then there might be a case for it but that's typically not recommended in terms of how to use it.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2201 posts
775 upvotes
waloshin wrote:
My rule of thumb is...

Weed killer is pretty much liquid cancer
Mar 22, 2017
575 posts
450 upvotes
BenzDude11 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 4:53 pm
I have Killex but what should I use when I want to kill over grown grass and trees? Round Up?
Roundup will kill all plants, but it might not be a quick win against trees - to kill trees and large shrubs cut them down, drill a hole in the stump, then put a little roundup concentrate in the hole. Killex kills broadleak plants - it'll harm trees and shrubs, but won't really touch grass.
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
grumble wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 8:22 am
Roundup will kill all plants, but it might not be a quick win against trees - to kill trees and large shrubs cut them down, drill a hole in the stump, then put a little roundup concentrate in the hole. Killex kills broadleak plants - it'll harm trees and shrubs, but won't really touch grass.
Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4793 posts
966 upvotes
London
esoxhntr wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 5:24 pm
So who in Regina/Saskatoon wants to make some money by shipping these to Onterrible?
Ha. I was thinking the same thing before I clicked the thread. I’ve been paying the inflated Amazon prices for this stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2015 posts
567 upvotes
Whitby
craftsman wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 1:56 am
It also kills grass as well which Killex won't.

BTW. A cheaper way to do it is to just use boiling water... much more environmentally friendly as well as you won't dumping salt and vinegar into the soil.
Yeah....I don't use it on the lawn. I use it to kill the weeds that grow between the interlocking driveway stones.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kryton619 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 1:47 pm
Yeah....I don't use it on the lawn. I use it to kill the weeds that grow between the interlocking driveway stones.
Boiling water will still kill those as well...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1117 posts
990 upvotes
Vancouver
waloshin wrote:
Some provinces banned it for private use about a decade ago because of some studies at the time that suggested it could potentially cause cancer or environmental damage. Those studies were later discredited, and no further risk has been identified. But those provinces have never revised their bans. It is toxic in concentrated form, but that's mainly a long-term risk to chemical workers handling it. In the outdoor environment it breaks down very rapidly. You don't want to apply it when there's a chance of rain in the next few days.
Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 24th, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1340 posts
328 upvotes
I have a 8month old baby and I'v refrained from using this stuff on my front garden (the one I got was Par3 from eBay) - even though he is not coming into direct contact, the smell is what concerns me since we walk out the front door or sometimes just hold the baby/wander around on the front doorsteps. I'm so tempted to use it to kills the massive weeds (the tall ones that grow a yellow flower on top) that are starting to grow in between the plants :(
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
freakyflow wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:18 pm
I have a 8month old baby and I'v refrained from using this stuff on my front garden (the one I got was Par3 from eBay) - even though he is not coming into direct contact, the smell is what concerns me since we walk out the front door or sometimes just hold the baby/wander around on the front doorsteps. I'm so tempted to use it to kills the massive weeds (the tall ones that grow a yellow flower on top) that are starting to grow in between the plants :(
Simple solution - don't apply in a mass amount (ie like spraying it on the entire lawn). Instead, mix a small amount into the trigger spray bottle and use that for spot treatments of any large weeds or patches of weeds on the lawn.
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
freakyflow wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:18 pm
I am hesistant to use it on my rear lawn as well as I have a dog that likes to eat grass when hes out in the yard. But the label says to spray, on a sunny day, wait 2 hours and then its good. I've used this on the front lawn and it works awesome. Rear lawn looks so gross with all the weeds. :(