• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2020 5:02 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
867 posts
3661 upvotes
MILTON

[Walmart] Panasonic SRTMJ181 Digital 10-in-1 Multi Cooker for $89.98

• 10 Pre-set cooking settings, including White Rice, Brown Rice, Steam, Stew, Slow Cook, Soup, Cake, Brownie, Compote, and Porridge. The most versatile cooking unit with great value.
• Designed and engineered in Japan with superior quality
• 13-hour pre-set timer lets you prepare meals ahead of time (White Rice, Brown Rice, Porridge Settings)
• Warming feature keeps food warm up to 12 hours
• Microcomputer controlled Fuzzy Logic Technology takes the guesswork completely out of cooking
• Approx. 1.8 Litre/10 cups dry rice capacity, great for making family meals
• Non-stick, easy to clean cooking pan
• Detachable cord for easy storage
• Additional value with accessories: Measuring Cup, Rice Scoop, Steaming Basket, Recipe Book

WHAT IS A MULTI COOKER?
  • The multi-cooker combines a number of appliances. It looks similar to a slow cooker, but it can cook at much more different temperature and in several programs
  • A multi-cooker can be a slow cooker, an oven, a microwave, a rice cooker, a steamer, a pressure pot, a deep fryer, a number of appliances all in one. Multi cookers can cook food very quickly at high temperatures and in different ways than a slow cooker. In this sense, they are the opposite of slow cookers.
  • Like slow cookers, the appliance does the work — you don’t have to supervise them while they are cooking. These also can accommodate more different types of food than slow cookers, in general.

15 replies
Dec 14, 2012
369 posts
362 upvotes
Ottawa
10cup size is pretty big for small family.
Apr 29, 2018
901 posts
527 upvotes
Vancouver
Isn't this essentially an InstantPot?

Also, it doesn't look like this can be a deep fryer
Jul 7, 2004
335 posts
152 upvotes
maxpayne77 wrote: How does it compare to https://www.costco.ca/t-fal-10-in-1-mul ... 33602.html priced at $99.99. Almost same features
I got this T-Fal one 6 months ago. It is a better T-Fal model than the one at Costco. It works great for cooking rice.
https://www.forumappliances.com/t-fal-m ... 51-10-cup/
( TELUS = Koodo = Public > CMLink ) ( ROGERS = Fido = Chatr > Zoomer = Cityfone > 7-Eleven = Petro Canada ) ( BELL = Virgin = Lucky > President Choice ) ( SHAW = Freedom ) Listed by network not ranking.
Jun 14, 2006
655 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg
I prefer the stsinless steel pan that the instant pot comes with...no non stick coating which I'm always leery about. Personally prefer the look of the instant pot as well. There's a huge community of instant pot users which has created a wealth of recipes and uses.
Dec 17, 2006
338 posts
119 upvotes
I have the Panasonic Rice Cooker - and it's amazing! What sets it apart this has too:

• Microcomputer controlled Fuzzy Logic Technology takes the guesswork completely out of cooking

I have an instant that was supposed to cook rice and fails in comparison.

Looks like a deal!
Dec 6, 2008
799 posts
233 upvotes
Kitana wrote: I prefer the stsinless steel pan that the instant pot comes with...no non stick coating which I'm always leery about. Personally prefer the look of the instant pot as well. There's a huge community of instant pot users which has created a wealth of recipes and uses.
So how do you cook rice in a instant pot i.e. how much water relative to rice quantity in the instant pot? Advantage of rice cookers is they have markings so you can't go wrong.
Mar 31, 2007
60 posts
19 upvotes
• 10 Pre-set cooking settings, including White Rice, Brown Rice, Steam, Stew, Slow Cook, Soup, Cake, Brownie, Compote, and Porridge. The most versatile cooking unit with great value.

WHAT IS A MULTI COOKER?
[*]The multi-cooker combines a number of appliances. It looks similar to a slow cooker, but it can cook at much more different temperature and in several programs
[*]A multi-cooker can be a slow cooker, an oven, a microwave, a rice cooker, a steamer, a pressure pot, a deep fryer, a number of appliances all in one. Multi cookers can cook food very quickly at high temperatures and in different ways than a slow cooker. In this sense, they are the opposite of slow cookers.

I don't see anything, even on the Panasonic site, that says this is a pressure cooker. Also, be aware that the membrane covering on this type of switch/button eventually split with use so, while the switch/button may still work, gunk/water can get under the membrane. Most, but not all, Instant Pots and [probably] most other digital cookware has the same type of membrane over the switches. In my experience, the membrane cracking is common on all of them. I won't say that it's caused a problem for me but it's annoying when the rest of the unit is still in pristine condition.
Nov 10, 2011
755 posts
625 upvotes
St. Catharines
maxpayne77 wrote: How does it compare to https://www.costco.ca/t-fal-10-in-1-mul ... 33602.html priced at $99.99. Almost same features
Virgin Mobile members who haven't used their code can get $20 off the Costco one, if you can get the order over $100 somehow.

[FYI must get code by end of month. Good till June 7.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Jun 14, 2006
655 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg
itemsale2003 wrote: So how do you cook rice in a instant pot i.e. how much water relative to rice quantity in the instant pot? Advantage of rice cookers is they have markings so you can't go wrong.
Yep....1 to 1...sometimes even 1 cup rice to 3/4 c water. Depends on the type of rice. There's no moisture escape. Love it. And it's super easy to clean. Just let it sit with a bit of water for 10 minutes then wash as usual.