Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Pit Boss Pellets

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 5:04 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3322 posts
588 upvotes
I’ll just throw it out there, I have used canwick pellets in my pitboss and have never had an issue. At 7.99$ (IIRC) at Canadian tire, I have given up on the name branded pellets.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3609 posts
597 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
azn_dan wrote: pellets in my pitboss
Any review of your Pitboss experience overall (general pellet BBQ)? I'm still on the fence. @ $8 for 40lbs it's basically free. Great score.
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Aug 4th, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4754 posts
8775 upvotes
Ottawa
azn_dan wrote: I’ll just throw it out there, I have used canwick pellets in my pitboss and have never had an issue. At 7.99$ (IIRC) at Canadian tire, I have given up on the name branded pellets.
Hmm, AFAIK those are not meant for food preparation burning, but for heat burning. There must be a reason for it.
Edit: although now looking at the description it does say "May be used for cooking". So they might be OK, but the smoke smell probably won't be as good as bbq hardwood pellets
Jan 31, 2018
664 posts
1131 upvotes
Winnipeg
seafish wrote: Hmm, AFAIK those are not meant for food preparation burning, but for heat burning. There must be a reason for it.
Edit: although now looking at the description it does say "May be used for cooking"
I'd imagine they will be mostly oak. So they will produce nice heat and be edible, but the flavor will be just generic 'smoke'. It won't be particularly inspiring versus the typical smoking woods; mesquite, hickory, cherry, apple, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Costco doesn't count.
It'd be stupid not to count it.
If $1/lb is indeed a "benchmark price" buying 1 sack of pellets pays for your membership for damn near 2 months.
It's a pay to shop unless available online, which it isn't.
It's pay to shop online too now.
Also a YMMV.
If anything this deal is YMMV considering 2 stores have it.
Most Costcos (at least in GVRD) still have them.
However, that price is great if you can find it and hopefully you bought a couple.
It gets better.
I bought the old 20lb sacks that had specific flavors for $10/sack.
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: So they will produce nice heat and be edible, but the flavor will be just generic 'smoke'. It won't be particularly inspiring versus the typical smoking woods; mesquite, hickory, cherry, apple, etc.
Rumor has it that Traeger pellets are also a generic wood with flavoring added.
Mar 23, 2012
253 posts
63 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Canwick brand at Canadian Tire are half that Price every day of the year.
May 30, 2016
326 posts
370 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: I'd imagine they will be mostly oak. So they will produce nice heat and be edible, but the flavor will be just generic 'smoke'. It won't be particularly inspiring versus the typical smoking woods; mesquite, hickory, cherry, apple, etc.
I smoke primarily with oak chunks in my WSM so I wouldn't mind a blend that is primarily oak.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3609 posts
597 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
death_hawk wrote: It gets better.
I bought the old 20lb sacks that had specific flavors for $10/sack.
Which pellet grill do you have?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Which pellet grill do you have?
Traeger. I can't remember the model but it was the one from the road show at Costco.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3609 posts
597 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
death_hawk wrote: Traeger. I can't remember the model but it was the one from the road show at Costco.
Overall happy with it? This has been the biggest flip flop decision I've made.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Overall happy with it? This has been the biggest flip flop decision I've made.
Based on the context that I can use it? Yeah. But I don't really have any other choice because I live in a condo so this actually lives on one of those hitch carriers and gets attached to my vehicle.

I'd rather have a better smoker setup but I need it to be mobile.

What's holding you back/pushing you forward?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1342 posts
179 upvotes
chadurban wrote: Canwick brand at Canadian Tire are half that Price every day of the year.
Those are heating pellets not designed for the bbq. It's not rated food grade but they seem to be all natural. I wonder how your food taste after.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3609 posts
597 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
death_hawk wrote: What's holding you back/pushing you forward?
I have a broil King keg that does everything perfectly well. However no one else will use it and sometimes I'd like to just come home to things done. Pellet might be happy middle ground.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3322 posts
588 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote:
Any review of your Pitboss experience overall (general pellet BBQ)? I'm still on the fence. @ $8 for 40lbs it's basically free. Great score.
pellet grills offer a blend of simplicity and the smoke that I like out of a charcoal grill. While the smoke is not as intense per say, the convenience factor makes it a definite plus for me.

My grill set up consists of a kamado (visions grill) and the pitboss. Searing is mainly done on the kamado while I enjoy to smoke ribs on the pellet. Anything else I do is a toss up between the two and depending on what I feel like that day.
jon604 wrote:
Those are heating pellets not designed for the bbq. It's not rated food grade but they seem to be all natural. I wonder how your food taste after.
I know there is always a heated debate about the canwick pellets and after reading a lot of comments I tried it myself. I haven't tasted a noticeable difference between the traeger pellets (from costco) and the canwicks. I have done wings, ribs, cedar salmon , beer can chicken and burgers with the canwicks and to me it just tastes the same. The only difference is I spend a hell of a lot less on pellets.

I am not trying to force the cheaper pellets on anyone but its RFD, at 8$ why not give it a try and see how it turns out.

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5081 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
What makes one food grade pellets and other don't when both advertise with biodegradable no added machine oil and chemicals? Wood is just wood imo. If you want speciality flavour blend, totally understandable spending the extra for apple wood.