Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Pit Boss Pellets

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 5:04 pm
Sep 22, 2003
140 posts
12 upvotes
NineOne wrote: For anyone looking in the GTA, check out https://pitmasterschoicepellets.ca/
I've used them almost exclusively for a while and I'm very happy. They burn very well with minimal ash, and the bags have almost no sawdust at the bottom. They recently raised their regular price to 75c/lbs, but it's well under the $1/lbs benchmark and they have a promo right now, $210 for 320lbs (66c/lbs). I know that seems like a lot, but you can split it between a couple of people, or just use your pellet grill really often (which I do).
I am thinking of ordering the mixed load https://pitmasterschoicepellets.ca/shop ... or-ontario. If anyone interested in splitting an order, PM me (I am in the beaches area of Toronto).
Oct 18, 2011
118 posts
33 upvotes
CALGARY
I was at Walmart Marlborough last night in Calgary, They have a lot of bags left at $15.
They also had quite a few bags that had rips/tape on them for $10
Jan 27, 2013
72 posts
30 upvotes
Redo1973 wrote: Bringing up old thread. 40 lb bags of competition blend or Canadian Maple Blend now $8.00 at Kelowna Walmart. Took in my receipt and had price adjusted. Now have 720lbs at 20 cents/pound. Fortunately I have plenty of dry storage.
Bringing up an old thread. Stocktrack shows that Westbank sold out at $4 / 40lb bag (Maple). Any RFD'er who got some at that price needs to stand up and take a frickin' bow.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5824 posts
1489 upvotes
Just got my first pellet smoker. Can you store pellets over winter?
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Yep. I store my indoors. However, I suspect that they're good anywhere as long as there's not excessive moisture.
I've never had any issues with them falling apart, etc. I think that they're compressed significantly enough that that's generally not a concern.
Enjoy your smoker! I love mine. Makes delicious food, and I like the process.
baz5 wrote: Just got my first pellet smoker. Can you store pellets over winter?
Dec 17, 2017
146 posts
67 upvotes
I plan to store mine in the basement. I assume garage is not good as it can attract moisture?

Also how long do they last? Like a year max? I also read don’t leave them in the bags...or all this overkill?
Torque wrote: Yep. I store my indoors. However, I suspect that they're good anywhere as long as there's not excessive moisture.
I've never had any issues with them falling apart, etc. I think that they're compressed significantly enough that that's generally not a concern.
Enjoy your smoker! I love mine. Makes delicious food, and I like the process.
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Sorry, I don't know the specifics of breakdown.
You might be overthinking it a bit, but others can jump in.
I've had pellets in my basement for over a year, and when opened, they seemed "fresh".
So, that's at controlled temp and humidity (within reason).
I would suspect that a garage (depending on where you live) can have significant fluctuations in temp and moisture.
If you store them in a basement with "normal" conditions, I wouldn't be concerned.
If on concrete, I would put down some cardboard. It does slowly draw moisture out, albeit probably extremely slowly (especially through poly).
I'm not a scientist, so take this all as a grain of salt. :)
aphextwin wrote: I plan to store mine in the basement. I assume garage is not good as it can attract moisture?

Also how long do they last? Like a year max? I also read don’t leave them in the bags...or all this overkill?
Jan 31, 2018
664 posts
1131 upvotes
Winnipeg
Torque wrote: I would suspect that a garage (depending on where you live) can have significant fluctuations in temp and moisture.
A Canadian garage in winter is one of the driest places on the planet. As long as you aren't getting moisture dripping onto the pellets, or soaking up into them through the floor, they are generally OK.

Just check that they are not 'swollen' or too crumbly before using and you'll be fine.
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Depends on where you live. Central Canada...yes.
The coasts and Ontario, not so much. There are many specific scenarios as well.
But, I agree with your guidance on swollen or crumbly. It generally should be obvious when pellets aren't usable.
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: A Canadian garage in winter is one of the driest places on the planet.
Dec 17, 2017
146 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks for the advice!
Torque wrote: Sorry, I don't know the specifics of breakdown.
You might be overthinking it a bit, but others can jump in.
I've had pellets in my basement for over a year, and when opened, they seemed "fresh".
So, that's at controlled temp and humidity (within reason).
I would suspect that a garage (depending on where you live) can have significant fluctuations in temp and moisture.
If you store them in a basement with "normal" conditions, I wouldn't be concerned.
If on concrete, I would put down some cardboard. It does slowly draw moisture out, albeit probably extremely slowly (especially through poly).
I'm not a scientist, so take this all as a grain of salt. :)
Oct 20, 2009
474 posts
140 upvotes
Calgary
Finally a location near me had the 40lb Competition Blend and 20lb Charcoal Blend for $5/bag. Ideally I'd like to pay 12.5 cents/lb for the charcoal one also, but 25 cents/lb is still a good deal. I'll be storing these in my basement.

Just waiting for the 40lb Maple Blend now. Lowest is currently $10/bag.
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Thanks! That was a heck of a deal.
Down to 33 on stocktrack. 95 when I went there around noon.
For anyone in Calgary, it's Deerfoot City location.
80085 wrote: Finally a location near me had the 40lb Competition Blend and 20lb Charcoal Blend for $5/bag.