Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

Poulan Pro PR240 - 179cc dual stage 498$ (Walmart Anniversary)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 12:18 am
Tags:
358 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1231 posts
601 upvotes
The 6ix
What's the verdict in this? I can't find anything on the Web about this brand/model
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11599 posts
2587 upvotes
Montreal
It is amazingly cheap!

It is an incredible deal for those who plan to buy a snowblower for this winter. I don't think there will be anything like it after that until the end of the winter (if even)
AtticusFinch wrote: currently $857USD on amazon with decent reviews. dont know much else about it though.
That is the electric start version, but I guess that would be the only difference.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2012
1732 posts
535 upvotes
YKF
alkizmo wrote: That is the electric start version, but I guess that would be the only difference.
thanks, edited. not sure if electric start is worth the extra $? are pull starts a pain to get going in the winter if garage stored?

edit: the walmart descrition says manual or pull start which is conflicting. according to the model #, its an electric start unless theres two versions. i think this is the pull start but with a different model #:
http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-Pro-961920 ... B00LHN4J3I
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11599 posts
2587 upvotes
Montreal
AtticusFinch wrote: thanks, edited. not sure if electric start is worth the extra $? are pull starts a pain to get going in the winter if garage stored?
I only use the electric start for the first start of the season. After that, a single pull or two works for me, even if it was sitting outside for a few weeks. I have a sno-tek.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3101 posts
12756 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
My question is, it is enough for blowing out the front and side of car shelter ?
Dec 9, 2007
303 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal
I read somewere that 179cc is not enough for a dual stage. Any advise please?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3101 posts
12756 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
tbtaoufiq wrote: I read somewere that 179cc is not enough for a dual stage. Any advise please?
I'm debating because of that..
Jun 4, 2007
148 posts
22 upvotes
Oshawa
I have the B&S 14.5 TP 27 " only used the electric start when it was new first time to start it.

Starts 1/4 pull every time.
Sep 19, 2009
365 posts
154 upvotes
i have a craftsman snowblower. electric start never used. pull start is best. starts in one shot. also in heavy snow 157 cc would be a bit weak . just my opinion though
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12035 posts
6018 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: I only use the electric start for the first start of the season. After that, a single pull or two works for me, even if it was sitting outside for a few weeks. I have a sno-tek.
I have the manual start Sno-tek. Pull start works great all winter long. I change the oil, gas and spark plug every October. That first start is the only one that takes a little work to get going.

That being said, for a decent unit, this a great deal.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22612 posts
7822 upvotes
179cc = ?? Horsepower

Thank you...
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11599 posts
2587 upvotes
Montreal
DougO wrote: 179cc = ?? Horsepower

Thank you...
There is no direct conversion.
CC is just the cubic centiliter capacity of the cylinder(s).
A lot of other factors come into play.
However, you can compare CC between similar engines for identical applications (Blowing of said snow).
A typical 2-stage snow blower is >200cc
Dec 28, 2008
597 posts
118 upvotes
Rural Ontario
My suggestion would be to go in and have a look at it and check it over. I got a Yardworks from CT a few years back for about the same price and it has its pros & cons. Biggest con is how the chute is operated. It has a handle that turns a spring but the spring doesn't fit snug enough and the chute starts moving on its own so I have to end up having to try and hold the chute with one hand while steering with the other.

Also the deflector is manual so if I need to adjust the angle of how the snow is thrown, I have to stop and unscrew a lever then try to eyeball the angle and then rescrew and go again. Not as efficient as the blowers that have a joystick type lever that you can both move the chute back and forth (plus locks) and also adjust the angle of the deflector.

This Poulon model shows "manual deflector" so that is why I suggest you go in and play with it to see if it will work for your level of patience and precision.

Also check to see what engine is in this blower. Briggs & Straton are very good and will start up quite easily every time. It doesn't matter how good the machine is built if the engine won't start easily. ...not sure if this is relevant but I have a Poulon Pro chainsaw and it is a pain in the arse to start.

A 24" wide opening will work for most homeowners and is great for walkways and small driveways...just don't wait until the snow is 2ft deep before going out as it will clog and bog this down. When a major storm is hitting, you may have to go out 2-3 times.

Hope some of this helps.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
$498.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22612 posts
7822 upvotes
Just checked Sears. Conversion was divide by 30 to get approximate HP but that's probably wrong. What you need us the foot pounds rating for the conversion. Any idea what it is for this model? The model I was looking at was 250cc @ 1150 ft. Lb. (can't remember rest) putting it at around 8 HP (I think) which is about what I need. The smaller one *might* be acceptable but not for heavy snow when the grader comes by and plows in my driveway or if it freezes...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5064 posts
732 upvotes
DougO wrote: Just checked Sears. Conversion was divide by 30 to get approximate HP but that's probably wrong. What you need us the foot pounds rating for the conversion. Any idea what it is for this model? The model I was looking at was 250cc @ 1150 ft. Lb. (can't remember rest) putting it at around 8 HP (I think) which is about what I need. The smaller one *might* be acceptable but not for heavy snow when the grader comes by and plows in my driveway or if it freezes...
my understanding is 25cc/hp
Dec 24, 2007
491 posts
138 upvotes
My neighbor has a 179 cc and she seems to blow just fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)