• Aug 7th, 2017 8:34 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
958 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…

Walmart Price Matching to End May 15?

I was at a Walmart in the USA recently and there a sign posted beside each self-serve cash: No price matching as of May 15.
According to the self-serve cash attendants, is was because on that date they will be discounting food that's bought on-line. So, hopefully, it's only on food, and more importantly, it will only take effect in the USA and not spread to Canada.
I PM a lot at WM, including food, motor oil, electronics.

I worry that as Walmart goes, so does the rest of the world, meaning that other stores will also stop PMs. Remember how Staples offered 50% off the difference in PMed prices? No more.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8989 posts
2535 upvotes
London
Walmart has different policies for different regions, so extrapolating one store to another country seems a little tenuous.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1050 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
They can price match at self serve? Is that like giving your own price you want to pay? Or do they need to tie up the one attendant covering 6 machines because you should be in full serve?

Maybe OP you were misinterpreting the concept of price match in general as opposed for just self serve?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8555 posts
3268 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Walmart has different policies for different regions, so extrapolating one store to another country seems a little tenuous.
I heard a rumour though that there were changes planned for Canada around coupons and pricematching later 2017-2018.

Walmart's online prices are much higher on some basic stuff like sugar...if I can buy that at a non-jacked price with free shipping to home I'm ahead, so I am all for this change.

I think it is time they ditched all the manual routines and went fully digital. Amazon integrates manufacturer coupons online already for companies like Kellogg's and Proctor & Gamble. Walmart is late to the show.

Maybe they will integrate coupons into the purchase price like Costco does, and deny manufacturer coupons moving forward?

I'd love to see both couponing and pricematching die there. Then it would be a really good store.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2262 posts
1552 upvotes
Stores used to bet on people laziness not to pricematch even if they advertise this option. With arrival of apps making the whole process more convenient and more appealing as food prices continue to outpace inflation I can see more stringing changes across the board.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1020 upvotes
If Walmart Canada drops price matching groceries then they'll have to do something about their prices (especially flyer sales).

No Frills and Freshco undercut them with better flyer sales on a weekly basis.

Right now it's Loblaws/Sobey's style pricing with poorer quality produce.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2464 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
trystee wrote: WM USA stopped PM'ing at 500 stores in May 2016 and added another 300 stores in August 2016.

Source: https://consumerist.com/2016/08/10/walm ... al-stores/

It looks like they're continuing the trend.

I read that they are doing this to get people to use their app.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... ing-2016-5
NG wrote: If Walmart Canada drops price matching groceries then they'll have to do something about their prices (especially flyer sales).

No Frills and Freshco undercut them with better flyer sales on a weekly basis.

Right now it's Loblaws/Sobey's style pricing with poorer quality produce.
My Walmart won't price match with no frills.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3538 posts
8804 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
xiaobao wrote: I read that they are doing this to get people to use their app.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... ing-2016-5
Excellent point.

I have the WM US app with the Savings Catcher tool and love using it on trips down to the states.

As the article mentions, the use of the tool is smart for WM because it keeps lines moving and any savings that the tool catches goes onto a WM GC that makes the customer spend back with WM. Regular WM customers will like this as it saves them time scoping for deals and sometimes they get a PM that they may not have been aware of. Occasional WM customers would probably prefer regular PM'ing as they get the discount immediately.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3612 posts
2437 upvotes
GTA
Can't wait. I hate waiting in line forever, because of people with 20 items, each in different flyer. You like the price at No Frills better? Go to No Frills! Let me pay for my stuff at WalMart, and don't block the cash register.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6708 posts
1229 upvotes
Scarborough
Grocery shopping at walmart? I find walmart does not carry everything even in the supercentre. Grocery section is small and limited items and high prices.
May 28, 2012
10886 posts
3038 upvotes
Saskatoon
Tommy74 wrote: Can't wait. I hate waiting in line forever, because of people with 20 items, each in different flyer. You like the price at No Frills better? Go to No Frills! Let me pay for my stuff at WalMart, and don't block the cash register.
I have never seen anyone pricematch at Walmart...I think they are just really inefficient on their own. That's one of the reasons why I don't shop at Walmart very often, the checkout process usually leaves me in a bad mood.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2464 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
trystee wrote: Excellent point.

I have the WM US app with the Savings Catcher tool and love using it on trips down to the states.

As the article mentions, the use of the tool is smart for WM because it keeps lines moving and any savings that the tool catches goes onto a WM GC that makes the customer spend back with WM. Regular WM customers will like this as it saves them time scoping for deals and sometimes they get a PM that they may not have been aware of. Occasional WM customers would probably prefer regular PM'ing as they get the discount immediately.

I have an moto g4 plus, I tired to install the Walmart App but it said no compatible device found, is there some US restriction on the app? If so how did you get around it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8989 posts
2535 upvotes
London
Mars2012 wrote: I have never seen anyone pricematch at Walmart...I think they are just really inefficient on their own. That's one of the reasons why I don't shop at Walmart very often, the checkout process usually leaves me in a bad mood.
There's a few decent staff there, but there's enough extras from the walking dead working the tills to make me wonder if they are hiring -2 deviations on the IQ curve on purpose. I swear the last cashier's irregular blinking was some sort of code for 'please kill me'.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3538 posts
8804 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
xiaobao wrote: I have an moto g4 plus, I tired to install the Walmart App but it said no compatible device found, is there some US restriction on the app? If so how did you get around it?
I downloaded it when I was down there and believe you need to be located w/ your device in the US to get the app.

However, I have heard that using a VPN service/app may work to let Google Play think you're in the US.