Walmart

Public Mobile $0 SIM card + 1 Month Free

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2021 2:30 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
HappyValley1 wrote: Question, if I already have a SIM card, do I get $10 credit? Or you have to use the free SIM card they provide you? Thanks,
You don't have to use Walmart SIM card, but you do need to activate in store with Walmart. You might just want to use their SIM card anyways and potentially use your own SIM card for a future friend referral.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5095 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
will888 wrote: I don't know why people want to use referrals from strangers. The best way forward is to rewards family and friends. It's this networking that helps to garner your own referrals which over time helps to bring the monthly costs down. The rewards game is a long term thing. The base plan cost doesn't change with time. Imagine being able to get just a couple of referrals a year. Combine that with loyalty reward reduces renewal cost by $3 a year. After 5 years, that's a $15 discount. I think a lot of Public Mobile customers are on the $25 plan. Imagine paying less than half price for the service. This is what makes Public Mobile attractive.
As we all know, there is ALWAYS .... that one .... in every family. And here, in every thread on this topic [and Zoomer as well] "that one" would suggest Craigs, Kijiji or Reddit for referrals. Then we have people who will be answering every single question 10+ times, or just posting to say how happy they are with the service just to get more exposure, hoping to get asked for referral...

Rule is: Just don't ask for referrals openly in the Forums here. Also, if you are with Public already, PLEASE do not send unsolicited PM offering referrals to people who express interest in joining. [Hope they'd report it]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
coutinho365 wrote: Thanks everyone who has answered my question above. Appreciate it.
I just have one last thing - Public vs Lucky - Who would you choose if you had an option and why.

Thanks OP as well for the deal. I'll definitely check it out.
And thanks again everyone for the info.
EDITED due to confusing Lucky Mobile page in Quebec (QC plans versus Canada Wide Plans).

It's a tough one, depends if you need for data. Lucky Mobile has a 1GB plan (auto pay bonus) with UNLIMITED 128K data when you run out of the 1GB (fine for e-mail, messaging, surfing) for only $25 a month. Pubic mobile's 1GB $23 plan (with auto pay) has no "unlimited" slow data. Both have Unlimited Canada wide calling and Unlimited SMS/International.

If you just need calling and a tiny bit of data, you can't beat Public Mobile's $13 plan (with auto pay) and 250 megs of data (with auto pay). The only thing is they only have forum support and can take 2-3 days to resolve any issues, but what issues can you have, it's PREPAID LOL. If you lose your phone or break your sim, you can change the sim YOURSELF online. Don't need a person.
Last edited by yuprules on Oct 19th, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
yuprules wrote: It's a tough one, depends if you want 2GBish of data Lucky mobile's 2.5gb (with auto pay) $30 plan is interesting because when you run out of the 2GB of data, it's UNLIMITED 128kbs (perfectly fine for e-mail, surfing, messenger apps). Where Public Mobile's 3GB (with auto pay) plan for $33 doesn't give you any "free unlimited" data after you use up the 3GB.

If you just need calling and a tiny bit of data, you can't beat Public Mobile's $13 plan (with auto pay) and 250 megs of data (with auto pay). The only thing is they only have forum support and can take 2-3 days to resolve any issues, but what issues can you have, it's PREPAID LOL. If you lose your phone or break your sim, you can change the sim YOURSELF online. Don't need a person.
For rest of Canada (not Quebec), the 2.5 GB plan is $35 for Lucky mobile plan. Quebec plan $30 plan has Quebec wide calling (not Canada wide - Canada wide calling would be $35). The $25 Lucky mobile plan for 1 GB data also has unlimited throttled data.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
Dunkster wrote: For rest of Canada (not Quebec), the 2.5 GB plan is $35 for Lucky mobile plan. Quebec plan $30 plan has Quebec wide calling (not Canada wide - Canada wide calling would be $35). The $25 Lucky mobile plan for 1 GB data also has unlimited throttled data.
You are right, the QC plans in yellow are confusing. I'm going to re-write everything above.
May 12, 2017
75 posts
64 upvotes
Does anyone know if this free sim & first month free promo lasts beyond the flyer end date of Wed October 21 2020?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
andre83 wrote: Does anyone know if this free sim & first month free promo lasts beyond the flyer end date of Wed October 21 2020?
Difficult to say. Public mobile sometimes does extend promotions, but this is more of a Walmart/PM promotion. If I were going to guess, it will likely end on that date.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Jan 8, 2017
23 posts
8 upvotes
Any idea if you can take advantage of this deal but postpone the start date of PM service?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
svaz13 wrote: Any idea if you can take advantage of this deal but postpone the start date of PM service?
Public mobile is prepaid, You need to activate before the expiry date of promotion to receive the promo. No way to postpone the start date of PM service unfortunately.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
May 12, 2017
75 posts
64 upvotes
svaz13 wrote: Any idea if you can take advantage of this deal but postpone the start date of PM service?
If you have a current plan that you're running out the clock on, it may still be a better deal to take advantage of the Walmart deal since you get the sim for $0 and one month credit for service. When this deal goes away, you'll presumably have to pay $10 for the sim and not get the credit for a month of service, unless there is another deal later in the month.
Jan 8, 2017
23 posts
8 upvotes
Got it - much appreciated for the responses received. Is there a firm end-date for the promo - as in, will it run just for the week (until the new WM flyer is released)?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12972 posts
11815 upvotes
andre83 wrote: If you have a current plan that you're running out the clock on, it may still be a better deal to take advantage of the Walmart deal since you get the sim for $0 and one month credit for service. When this deal goes away, you'll presumably have to pay $10 for the sim and not get the credit for a month of service, unless there is another deal later in the month.
This is fine for someone who does not care about keeping the current phone number.
- To keep the current number, extra cost to port out current number to another provider and port it back to the new account.
- Any refer-a-friend rewards will be gone with your canceled PM account.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $35 5GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 6GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
svaz13 wrote: Got it - much appreciated for the responses received. Is there a firm end-date for the promo - as in, will it run just for the week (until the new WM flyer is released)?
It is an in store promotion so details are not online. You may want to call nearest Walmart mobile to confirm.

Walmart flyer ends on October 21 with new flyer on October 22. I would guess tomorrow evening. Mobile section does close earlier than store hours also.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
May 12, 2017
75 posts
64 upvotes
embguy wrote: This is fine for someone who does not care about keeping the current phone number.
- To keep the current number, extra cost to port out current number to another provider and port it back to the new account.
- Any refer-a-friend rewards will be gone with your canceled PM account.
Could you clarify what the extra cost is for porting? I thought you could get a new number activated and then later that day initiate a port in request from your old provider to port in your existing number? Does doing this get rid of the referral bonus?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
andre83 wrote: Could you clarify what the extra cost is for porting? I thought you could get a new number activated and then later that day initiate a port in request from your old provider to port in your existing number? Does doing this get rid of the referral bonus?
You are correct. There is no cost for porting over from a different company. You could activate with new number. Later that day, then you would need to contact PM moderator on community forum to complete the port request. You will still keep the referral bonus, 2nd month free bonus, etc.

Don't want to confuse things further, but when you activate your SIM card at Walmart, you can immediately do a port request. The Walmart rep can help with the request.

What the other conversation was about.... present Public mobile customers who want this promotion and want to keep their PM number. These customer would need to port the old number out to another company, then activate a new line with Public mobile and port back to Public mobile with the original number. It is usually not worth the hassle, except for certain circumstances. You will need to pay for SIM card for another company and sometimes pay for the 1st month also, etc.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
May 12, 2017
75 posts
64 upvotes
svaz13 wrote: Got it - much appreciated for the responses received. Is there a firm end-date for the promo - as in, will it run just for the week (until the new WM flyer is released)?
I just called my local Walmart in Ontario and the promo runs until October 21 end of day, which is the last day of the flyer.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1334 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried to get the sim card at the south common walmart, but the wireless guy there had no clue what I was talking about.

I then went to the square one walmart. There I got the sim card and signed up. He then mentioned that I'll get $10 off next month because of a referral code. I then asked about the free month. He said he hadn't heard of it and it must be something PM will do next month.

Did I do this wrong somehow? I still needed the card and plan, but did I mess up getting the deal?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
1818 posts
1891 upvotes
jalaram wrote: I tried to get the sim card at the south common walmart, but the wireless guy there had no clue what I was talking about.

I then went to the square one walmart. There I got the sim card and signed up. He then mentioned that I'll get $10 off next month because of a referral code. I then asked about the free month. He said he hadn't heard of it and it must be something PM will do next month.

Did I do this wrong somehow? I still needed the card and plan, but did I mess up getting the deal?
You should be fine. As long as you activated at Walmart, you meet the requirements of this promotion. Since Walmart mobile sells many different telecom plans, some may not know PM promos well. Public mobile will issue the credit before your next payment date. If not, you should contact moderator on the community forum.
Public Mobile, Tangerine

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)