[Walmart] Public Mobile Free Prepaid SIM, on in-store activation - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 2:02 am
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
23 posts
39 upvotes

[Walmart] Public Mobile Free Prepaid SIM, on in-store activation - YMMV

Today the person at Electronics section in Walmart Toronto (Rexdale) supercentre, activated a new PM Prepaid connection for me, in-store, while charging only for the plan and not extra for the SIM. There wasn't a minimum-amount constraint, and you can even activate with $15 plan and get free SIM. Note that there was a shortage of PM SIM-cards, and I think mine was the last card left for the day

I also happened to visit Dr. Flea's flea-market today, and out of about 3 SIM-sellers I enquired there (none listed in PM store-list), none sells Public Mobile, and were rather offering Chatr SIMs. I wonder which stall exactly was the RFD poster referring to other day. Surely a first-timer there can't narrow-down that stall (if there is one, out of 100s of different stalls) which sells PM with offers.

I also visited 3 other stores nearby from PM store-list, and either they charge $10 to $15 for SIM, or don't have PM SIM at all.
Last edited by balaca on Oct 12th, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Nov 13, 2016
292 posts
262 upvotes
Ottawa
I would not really call this Hot deals, but ... welcome OP to RFD
Still a Public Mobile customer
[OP]
Apr 28, 2019
23 posts
39 upvotes
Thank you.

Er sorry, I really don't know where I'm supposed to post. Searched around the site a bit, and came across this one place where I can submit posts.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1089 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
balaca wrote:
Oct 12th, 2019 7:57 pm
Thank you.

Er sorry, I really don't know where I'm supposed to post. Searched around the site a bit, and came across this one place where I can submit posts.
Walmart, in my experience, has always been YMMV in offering free SIM cards if you activate in-store.
They have some internal (Walmart-specific) code they can apply to reduce the SIM card cost to $0.01.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7667 posts
2840 upvotes
Markham
I've never understood why cell companies would charge for a SIM if you're activating prepaid or postpaid plans.... As long as i put money down (first month preoaid), they already got my money.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1501 posts
1687 upvotes
balaca wrote:
Oct 12th, 2019 7:47 pm
Today the person at Electronics section in Walmart Toronto (Rexdale) supercentre, activated a new PM Prepaid connection for me, in-store, while charging only for the plan and not extra for the SIM. There wasn't a minimum-amount constraint, and you can even activate with $15 plan and get free SIM. Note that there was a shortage of PM SIM-cards, and I think mine was the last card left for the day

I also visited 3 other stores nearby from PM store-list, and either they charge $10 to $15 for SIM, or don't have PM SIM at all.
There's no reason to pay more than $10 for one of these sim cards since they can be purchased directly from Public Mobile's website any time for $10. They are also available sold directly by Public and fulfilled by Amazon.ca.

As for there being a shortage of Public Mobile sim cards, there is no shortage. They are readily available. If a location is running out of sim cards, they aren't ordering enough and that's on them.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12GB
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1501 posts
1687 upvotes
injust wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 4:23 am
Walmart, in my experience, has always been YMMV in offering free SIM cards if you activate in-store.
They have some internal (Walmart-specific) code they can apply to reduce the SIM card cost to $0.01.
Walmart locations have been doing this ever since the start of the arrangement with Public Mobile. Since they don't advertise free sim cards, there's no way that a customer can force it. It's completely YMMV and the salespeople are using this as closing sales tactic.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12GB