[Walmart] RCA 5.0 Cu Ft Chest Freezer, White $199.98

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 3:13 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2017
795 posts
1449 upvotes

[Walmart] RCA 5.0 Cu Ft Chest Freezer, White $199.98

any freezer experts or connisseurs here available to comment on this cheap chest freezer?
im in need of a small one to fit a small space. tia

$269.98
•5.0 cu ft capacity
•Adjustable thermostat
•Freezing temperature to -18 degrees
•Energy-saving design
•Deep cooling and quick freezing
•Easy defrost through drain cap at bottom
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7666 posts
1728 upvotes
Mont-Royal
I would not. Automatic defrost is what you should be looking for.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Apr 5, 2009
408 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver
We bought that last week and it arrived on Friday. It was easily the cheapest we could find on the market at such short notice, particularly because our freezer was overflowing at the time and we needed something cheap and quick to deliver. Estimated delivery when we ordered it was Friday, and it arrived as expected on Friday.

After 3 days of using it, we have no complaints. It does what it advertises to do, and our stuff is frozen with no issues. It looks to be pretty energy efficient as well, and very space efficient. If you're looking for a cheap and compact freezer, it does its job. It's also very lightweight - I was able to move it myself with no issue.

We've never had to defrost our stuff in any of the freezers we've owned in my entire lifetime, so I can't comment on the drain cap defrost vs. auto defrost.
[OP]
May 2, 2017
795 posts
1449 upvotes
L4cky wrote: I would not. Automatic defrost is what you should be looking for.
Maybe if i lived in a mansion, but for us who live in a 500/mo apartment with no luxury to spare...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5015 posts
1824 upvotes
Costco sells a similar size Danby for $200 as well, in store
[OP]
May 2, 2017
795 posts
1449 upvotes
Jon_b wrote: OOS now
How... Prior to posting there were more than 75
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27430 posts
7754 upvotes
Chest freezers are a bit passe these days no? Upright is a much better idea in general, though granted they're not as cheap.
Aug 12, 2018
224 posts
68 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Chest freezers are a bit passe these days no? Upright is a much better idea in general, though granted they're not as cheap.
i thought chest freezers retain their cold better when you open the doors. Mind you I bet its negligible.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
DavidG88021 wrote: i thought chest freezers retain their cold better when you open the doors. Mind you I bet its negligible.
It does. Cold air stays sinked at the bottom. Instead of a regular fridge where all cold air "falls" when you open the vertical door.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2345 posts
313 upvotes
North York
You don't really want auto defrost for long term storage, it'll suck the moisture out of your food, aging it faster. Meaning it will go through cold - warm - cold cycles. Good for your kitchen freezer, not so good when you buy a 1/4 cow.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4514 posts
5358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Frozen food keeps longer without automatic defrost.. don't be so lazy.
Aug 21, 2006
20 posts
9 upvotes
Seanne wrote: How... Prior to posting there were more than 75
Weird. When I put in my postal code to get proper tax estimate it went OOS right after, it still shows as that for me when though another poster shows it back in stock. Is it possible Walmart has specific online stock for specific provinces? Seems to make no sense to me if they did that though!