• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2023 7:55 am
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2945 posts
1426 upvotes
GTA

Walmart return - original CC closed

Need to return something to Walmart, but the original credit card (CIBC) is closed.

Do they allow to use a different credit card for refund?
11 replies
Jan 12, 2007
658 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
headleygrange wrote: Need to return something to Walmart, but the original credit card (CIBC) is closed.

Do they allow to use a different credit card for refund?
The refund will process as normal.
You will need to call the CC company and they will send you a cheque - No problems, done this many times.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2945 posts
1426 upvotes
GTA
TAZ99 wrote: The refund will process as normal.
You will need to call the CC company and they will send you a cheque - No problems, done this many times.
Was that an online purchase? Mine was instore purchase and I no longer have that credit card. Usually , they ask me to insert the card for refund.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
insert a different card.

If they happen to check the number, tell them your situation.

They will likely call and Manager to approve the transaction.

It's no different than if for say you are returning something bought with the companion card.

I have done both these situations before.
Last edited by Swerny on Mar 29th, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2007
658 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
headleygrange wrote: Was that an online purchase? Mine was instore purchase and I no longer have that credit card. Usually , they ask me to insert the card for refund.
Yes, this was online
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
If you can't sneak a different card in, you could probably just always ask for store credit/gift card. Easy enough to spend at WalMart.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
If the account is closed, the credit card company generally will mail you a cheque for the refund. If you opened a new card/transferred it will be credited to the new card. You could always ask customer service to see if you can get your refund via gift card instead because you close the account. If the manage approves it, then there isn’t a problem. Generally it’s easier to get store credit than refund on another credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
You now need to be careful with refunds to cancelled credit cards because of recent changes. I had an issue where the card issuer declined an online refund to a locked card, I had to complain to get my refund.

"The Visa Purchase Return Authorization is a new directive that requires merchants to request authorization for every return transaction (cardholder refund) that they make. This mandate is similar to the process of seeking authorization from the card issuer when processing a purchase only that it occurs in reverse."
https://blog.sift.com/2021/visa-chargeb ... merchants/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Just tap a different credit card. Doubt they will check. If you mobile payment, even better. they won't even bother checking.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
hvwkzq wrote: You now need to be careful with refunds to cancelled credit cards because of recent changes. I had an issue where the card issuer declined an online refund to a locked card, I had to complain to get my refund.

"The Visa Purchase Return Authorization is a new directive that requires merchants to request authorization for every return transaction (cardholder refund) that they make. This mandate is similar to the process of seeking authorization from the card issuer when processing a purchase only that it occurs in reverse."
https://blog.sift.com/2021/visa-chargeb ... merchants/
really no change if its approved even to cancelled card funds will goto issuing bank just like today
merchants have option of using different card to process refund

Declined

There are several reasons why a purchase authorization might be declined. They are as follows:

The account number or type provided is invalid (code 14). Inform the cardholder that the account number is not recognized by the bank and request for an alternative Visa card or refund them using other methods (cash, gift card).
The account type is invalid (codes 39, 52, or 53). Request the cardholder to enter the correct account type (credit or debit) into the POS.
The card has expired (code 54). Let the cardholder know that the card has expired and request for a replacement card. If there is no replacement card or alternative Visa card, refund them using other methods (cash, gift card).
The PIN is invalid (code 55). Request the cardholder to re-enter their PIN.
Declined without reason (all other decline codes). Request for an alternative Visa card or refund them using other methods (cash, gift card).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
DeletedMemories wrote: really no change if its approved even to cancelled card funds will goto issuing bank just like today
merchants have option of using different card to process refund
It is different. The refund needs to be approved by the card issuer, not the merchant. I already had two negative experiences with this. I returned an online order, the merchant refunded it about a week later, but the refund did not come through. The merchant said that the refund was sent, the card issuer said that the refund was declined because my card was locked at the time of the refund. I had to open a dispute to get the money. I have another refund that was declined, I can see in Neo Financial app that it was declined, but the amount is not large enough for me to deal with the hassle of talking to their customer service.
Dec 16, 2023
1 posts
Hey I just went through the same thing with Walmart it declined because my card was locked, complained to Walmart and they said issue was refunded but told me to reach the bank.. Is that who you had to complain to in order to get the refund ? Thanks in advance.