Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Walmart Rewards MasterCard: 1% Cash Back on All Purchases, 1.25% on Walmart Purchases

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2020 1:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2624 posts
3980 upvotes
Toronto

[Walmart] Walmart Rewards MasterCard: 1% Cash Back on All Purchases, 1.25% on Walmart Purchases

When Target entered Canada they brought the Target RedCard with them -- a debit or MasterCard that grants you an extra 5% off every Target purchase. Walmart is now on the market with a Walmart Rewards card offering cash back on all purchases. Here are the details of the card:
  • 1% back in Walmart Rewards on every purchase
  • 1.25 back in Walmart Rewards for every purchase at Walmart
  • When you sign up and use your card anywhere in the next 30 days, you'll get $15 in Walmart Rewards automatically
Five Walmart Rewards equals $5 in redemption value at Walmart stores in Canada. There's a chart here detailing what how a sample monthly spend works out to Walmart Rewards per year. It's a big spend and I think for pure cash back rewards it definitely doesn't compare to a straight cash back card, especially if you can get $60-$100 on sign-up.

Thoughts?
45 replies
Apr 7, 2013
34 posts
54 upvotes
Brampton
The Walmart rewards MasterCard has been there for more than 2 years now. It's a very good card for all your purchases.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9726 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
My MBNA World Mastercard gives 1% on everything and 2% on groceries/gas. All the wal-marts around here have grocery stores, so they count for the 2% :)

I think Capital One Aspire? card gives a net of 1.5% on everything too.

There's better options.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3126 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal
zod wrote: My MBNA World Mastercard gives 1% on everything and 2% on groceries/gas. All the wal-marts around here have grocery stores, so they count for the 2% :)

I think Capital One Aspire? card gives a net of 1.5% on everything too.

There's better options.
Exactly, they'd need to up it to 1.25% on everything and 3% at Wal-mart to be competitive.

I would stop using my MBNA and maybe even the Capital One card.
Feb 14, 2010
851 posts
276 upvotes
The Great North
Anyone have Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card (Scotiabank)

A full 4% cash back on all eligible gas station and grocery store purchases
A full 2% cash back on eligible drug store purchases and recurring bill payments
A full 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases

Thinking of getting this to replace my MBNA.

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,86,00.html
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6701 posts
2099 upvotes
Mississauga
nivek_k2020 wrote: Anyone have Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card (Scotiabank)

A full 2% cash back on eligible drug store purchases and recurring bill payments

+1

Edit: No,Thanks Theres a $99 annual fee.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Apr 15, 2009
588 posts
202 upvotes
Annual Fees
$ 99.00 for the primary cardmember card
$ 30.00 for each additional card
To be charged when the card is issued (regardless of activation) and will be billed to your first statement and once a year thereafter.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nivek_k2020 wrote: Anyone have Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card (Scotiabank)

Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6701 posts
2099 upvotes
Mississauga
thetimebytime wrote: Annual Fees
To be charged when the card is issued (regardless of activation) and will be billed to your first statement and once a year thereafter.

Kid calm down.
The momentum infinite is not that bad,actually it's good if you have a few cards or you don't mind to stop using other cards and focus on this one.and it's for someone spend a lot on gas and groceries (like you have more than a single car or have big family).
For example,if you spend $25,000 a year at grocery stores and gas stations so you gonna get $1000,which is pretty good.
I might apply but in a few months. Spending from Boxing day damages still hurting my pocket.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5963 posts
1785 upvotes
Scarborough

If you do the math and actually spend enough, it can actually come ahead of some free cards. Just because it has an annual fee doesn't mean it's a bad card.
Oct 8, 2005
780 posts
49 upvotes
Wow I didn't know that Walmarts count as grocery stores.
Time to use my MBNA Smart Cash card there... and here I was a sucker for using the Walmart card there.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
11543 posts
130602 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Not all Walmart counts as groceries... I say make a small purchase with your Smart card and see if it does give you 2% first...

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
1330 posts
368 upvotes
Walmart Super centres all count as grocery stores.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7877 posts
1471 upvotes
Burnaby

The break even vs MBNA is around $410, but a family that spends $1k a month on gas/groceries is going to come far ahead with the Momentum Visa instead of the SmartCash (or even 2 Smart Cash cards)
Dec 29, 2007
58 posts
9 upvotes
immortal_kssss wrote: -1

Kid calm down.
The momentum infinite is not that bad,actually it's good if you have a few cards or you don't mind to stop using other cards and focus on this one.and it's for someone spend a lot on gas and groceries (like you have more than a single car or have big family).
For example,if you spend $25,000 a year at grocery stores and gas stations so you gonna get $1000,which is pretty good.
I might apply but in a few months. Spending from Boxing day damages still hurting my pocket.
Double hahahahahahahaha!

If you're able to spend $25K on groceries and gas stations you probably don't have to worry about pinching pennies with a silly credit card. There are far better ways to "save" money.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)