Hot Deals

[Walmart] Roku Premiere | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player with Simple Remote and Premium HDMI Cable $44.98 at Walmart online

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 4:51 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2020
54 posts
64 upvotes
BC

[Walmart] Roku Premiere | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player with Simple Remote and Premium HDMI Cable $44.98 at Walmart online

Walmart is selling the Roku Premiere | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player with Simple Remote and Premium HDMI Cable for $44.98
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/6000200571072

That's $22.53 in savings compared to Amazon listed at $67.51

Best Buy is also selling if for $44.99
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ro ... e/13990386
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 15th, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
55 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3124 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
Any good reason to get this over Firestick?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4726 posts
1949 upvotes
beachlover wrote: Any good reason to get this over Firestick?
Some services are on roku and not fire TV. Like Apple streaming service
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11079 posts
7654 upvotes
Oil Country
NightRain wrote: Some services are on roku and not fire TV. Like Apple streaming service
Apple TV is on FireTV Stick. I owned Rokus for the past 3-4 years, and switched to FireTV Sticks last year. They're soooo much better, and it's easier to sideload apps.

FireTV uses a modified version of Android, so you can easily sideload many Android TV apps onto them. There are tons of DIY tutorials online too. Roku uses a closed OS, so it's a pain to find good apps that work with them, and it's also a pain to sideload apps onto them.

The Roku menu system is very dated, while the FireTV menu system is much more modern and feels similar to a tablet or smartphone. The only good thing about Roku is that they're much more stable by comparison. After a while with the FireTV, I've noticed that some apps experience audio/video sync issues if you're not closing them down properly after using them. To fix the issue, you just need to restart the FireTV which is easy enough to do.
Last edited by fudge_u on Sep 12th, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jan 12, 2007
379 posts
70 upvotes
Fire stick does not do DTS

Roku does not do dolby vision or atmos in netflix last I checked.

I use an xbox one x for Netflix/ prime and an odroid n2 for kodi. My roku is premiere is related to youtube duty on another tv.
Last edited by Strats on Sep 12th, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 24, 2017
828 posts
689 upvotes
Firetv 4K is way better than any half %#& Roku device.
Sep 23, 2007
248 posts
1035 upvotes
Vancouver
zylonite wrote: Firetv 4K is way better than any half %#& Roku device.
Can you elaborate on why you believe this?

I've honestly never compared them
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6355 posts
2617 upvotes
I have both Firesticks and one Roku that came in a box of electronic junk I bought for a few bucks at a contents sale.
The Roku is crappy compared to the Firestick - no side loading - most of the TV is subscription based.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3398 posts
3513 upvotes
Vancouver
No ports, no ethernet, locked down proprietary OS - better to get the Fire Stick. I still have a couple of Roku boxes, but one is sitting unused in a drawer somewhere and the other is used only for Netflix and Plex.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1307 posts
340 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Apple TV is on FireTV Stick. I owned Rokus for the past 3-4 years, and switched to FireTV Sticks last year. They're soooo much better, and it's easier to sideload apps.
Can you stream from your iTunes library on Roku or Fire TV with that? I own TV shows on iTunes that I want to watch on my android TV, not the apple TV streaming service.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)