Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

Royal Oak Classic charcoal briq $5.98/6kg ($8.97reg) in-store ON, Kitchener YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 12:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1549 posts
3417 upvotes

[Walmart] Royal Oak Classic charcoal briq $5.98/6kg ($8.97reg) in-store ON, Kitchener YMMV

Cheapest $/kg in a while, 1400 Ottawa Street, Kitchener location, not sure if elsewhere

They also had the mainstays zero gravity chair for clearance $29.99 and many other products but didn't look through them to see if they were good deals
Images
  • 20210825_181741.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2889 posts
2091 upvotes
GTA
That is a good price. Anyone able to confirm if these are available in the GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7202 posts
8916 upvotes
Scarbs
lots of recent complaints on the canadian tire site for the same product - hard to light, short duration, inconsistent. royal oak was my go-to briquette for smoking last year, and remember the reviews were much better at the time.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
1043 posts
379 upvotes
came for the wrong royal oak....
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1159 posts
1285 upvotes
Surrey
Biscayne05 wrote: I wish this was lump Expressionless Face
The Royal oak lump was ok...I didn't find that it lasted very long but. It did burn pretty hot...found it crackled and sparked quite a bit when lighting.

With these briquettes I did pick up 4 bags. For the price, they are decent but they do take a bit longer to light. They also produce quite a bit of ash. To me they also seem to burn off quicker than Kingsford. I still prefer the Weber briquettes. Lots to reuse after a cook and the briquettes hold their shape and doesn't crumble to dust. The briquettes are also a lot denser with very little ash produced. The worse briquettes I have ever used was the noname ones. Don't bother about reusing any of it after a cook. They disintegrated pretty quickly and the amount of ash they produced was crazy!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
kk1030 wrote: came for the wrong royal oak....
If this was that royal oak I'd have cleared the entire country’s supply.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes
rancid82 wrote: The Royal oak lump was ok...I didn't find that it lasted very long but. It did burn pretty hot...found it crackled and sparked quite a bit when lighting.

With these briquettes I did pick up 4 bags. For the price, they are decent but they do take a bit longer to light. They also produce quite a bit of ash. To me they also seem to burn off quicker than Kingsford. I still prefer the Weber briquettes. Lots to reuse after a cook and the briquettes hold their shape and doesn't crumble to dust. The briquettes are also a lot denser with very little ash produced. The worse briquettes I have ever used was the noname ones. Don't bother about reusing any of it after a cook. They disintegrated pretty quickly and the amount of ash they produced was crazy!
I agree RO lump isnt the best. Too much small pieces, but at this price I would be buying a couple of bags

I found a better lump at Canadian Tire months ago and it was on clearance. It's not a regular SKUd item
Images
  • 20210825_213835.jpg
Oct 24, 2006
244 posts
619 upvotes
Regina
Biscayne05 wrote: I agree RO lump isnt the best. Too much small pieces, but at this price I would be buying a couple of bags

I found a better lump at Canadian Tire months ago and it was on clearance. It's not a regular SKUd item
How much was that at Canadian tire and how many pounds?
Oct 24, 2006
244 posts
619 upvotes
Regina
I just bought a kamado. Any recommendations on when is the best time to buy lump charcoal? Seems like best bag for your buck is vision charcoal at Home Depot. A 20lbs bag is $19.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1729 posts
1623 upvotes
VANCOUVER
farago2r wrote: I just bought a kamado. Any recommendations on when is the best time to buy lump charcoal? Seems like best bag for your buck is vision charcoal at Home Depot. A 20lbs bag is $19.
Before the pandemic was the best time.

Last year was full of shortages, and I doubt there'll be many sales or clearances this year. I'm definitely keeping my eyes out since it's late August and all.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11607 posts
4748 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
$4 at the Beauport, Quebec store and stocktrack showing 152 in stock.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1159 posts
1285 upvotes
Surrey
Biscayne05 wrote: I agree RO lump isnt the best. Too much small pieces, but at this price I would be buying a couple of bags

Oh no doubt! The price was the only reason I grabbed 4 bags of the briquettes. These would be great for quicker cooks like burgers and hot dogs. I did some pork chops, ribs, and steak with the royal oak and they tuned out pretty good. The flavor definitely was a bit different than the Weber.

I still have quite a bit of royal oak lump left. Not a fan of the small pieces but I have a feeling they also burn up quick cause the wood pieces are very light...even the bigger sized ones. I try to make a couple of piles for the royal oak when I use them. The small pieces gets tossed onto the bed of coals when lit so they don't fall through. I cheat a bit to raise the temps up a bit. I am going to go grab a bag of jealous devil lump as reviews point to it as a lot denser but I will definitely check the one out you posted.
Jun 3, 2007
544 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
aeba7 wrote: lots of recent complaints on the canadian tire site for the same product - hard to light, short duration, inconsistent. royal oak was my go-to briquette for smoking last year, and remember the reviews were much better at the time.
Gotta agree - picked up a bag recently (1-2 weeks ago?) and was not impressed. Took forever to light in my chimney starter (much slower than my Kingsford briqs), and while it burned hot, it died quickly. Also, after the fact, half-burned briqs are quite crumbly/ashy so you end up using more in the long run. This is in my Weber Go-Anywhere.