Hot Deals

[Walmart] Salton Portable Induction Cooktop - $48.88

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 1:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14619 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto

[Walmart] Salton Portable Induction Cooktop - $48.88

Seems like a decent price.

There’s also a similarly priced induction cooktop from Ikea:
ikea-single-burner-induction-hotplate-49-00-2397401/
Images
  • 572E6AE1-924F-41D6-B993-4640B67FF6F8.jpeg
  • 201384F2-3B3F-4FC9-8E11-95DA14F02AD6.jpeg
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6389 posts
2697 upvotes
These single burner induction hotplates have been around for several years now for around $50. Some even come with a free pot.
I bought one (1300 watt) when they first became popular to use with a flat bottom cast iron WOK as my ceran surface electric stove does not get hot enough for a decent stir fry.
It works well for that purpose.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1202 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
madknife wrote: costco has a slightly better looking one from salton for $49.99 in store.
https://www.costco.ca/salton-slim-induc ... 06896.html
so it's OK if you need one now and don't have a costco membership
I got the costco one a week ago. It is very sleek looking. The major pro is that it boils water really quick (I'm using gas and it takes like 26 min for my kettle, but with the induction, It was 15 min)

The downside is that it had a strong burning plastic smell at the beginning. It has subside a bit so I would assume it would go away.

I got one without thinking about cookware. None of my skillet works and only my least favorite pot is compatible.

But I highly recommend it if you want a companion with your gas stove to heat liquid quick.
Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
294 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
Guys I don't recommend these salton induction cooktops that are rated for 1500 watt. If you're going to get one, get the 1800 watt. The difference in heat up speed is night and day. The one I use is from Ikea ($49.00) so it's cheaper and better performing

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tillreda-p ... -50422390/
Member
Nov 24, 2018
339 posts
206 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
these induction cooker is perfect for camping (with electricity) and power outage (on generator).

I had been using these for chinese hotpot for a while now. Like said, get a stronger power one.

I would recommend to get it from costco, because I've encounter a few bad batch that end up at the liquidator stores.
Costco would refund if it starts to fail (turn off on its own after a few minutes)
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
294 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
BertL67369 wrote: these induction cooker is perfect for camping (with electricity) and power outage (on generator).

I had been using these for chinese hotpot for a while now. Like said, get a stronger power one.

I would recommend to get it from costco, because I've encounter a few bad batch that end up at the liquidator stores.
Costco would refund if it starts to fail (turn off on its own after a few minutes)
Costco had the 1800 watt salton one inthe past. Unfortunately, they replaced it with this much weaker 1500 watt one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8194 posts
4739 upvotes
Kootenays
Real_GM wrote: I got the costco one a week ago. It is very sleek looking. The major pro is that it boils water really quick (I'm using gas and it takes like 26 min for my kettle, but with the induction, It was 15 min)
26 (or even 15) minutes to boil water!!?? Are you using wooden pots? Our induction stove does it in 60 seconds.
Newbie
Jul 28, 2018
75 posts
114 upvotes
RadioDude wrote: Costco had the 1800 watt salton one inthe past. Unfortunately, they replaced it with this much weaker 1500 watt one.
Just a heads up for those with old electrical, like 1980s and prior (aluminum wiring in walls, etc). 1800w at 120v is 15amps, may cause your fuse/breaker to pop... The scary thing about alumnium wiring is that I've seen it heat up the freaken wall.. mega unsafe. u can always run your 1800w at 1500w, etc... for 12.5amps. Those of us with mid 90s built house have 15 amp breakers, its usually ok, even though we aren't supposed to run it above 80% rated. Newer houses have 20amp electrical, and its a non issue.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14619 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
RadioDude wrote: Guys I don't recommend these salton induction cooktops that are rated for 1500 watt. If you're going to get one, get the 1800 watt. The difference in heat up speed is night and day. The one I use is from Ikea ($49.00) so it's cheaper and better performing

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tillreda-p ... -50422390/
I missed this detail. Nvm, this deal is cold. Go for the Ikea one!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
26953 posts
6282 upvotes
Hamilton
Gotta downvote this one boss
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1202 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote: 26 (or even 15) minutes to boil water!!?? Are you using wooden pots? Our induction stove does it in 60 seconds.
I should clarify that it is a 4L kettle. But yeah, I'm always impressed with those quick water boil demo of induction. Super Quick Instant Noodles.

Top