• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2011 11:03 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2005
898 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna

[Walmart] Walmart - Samsung 50" Plasma model PN50C550 1080p ~$799

Picked up at the Penticton Walmart. Only one left (non-demo), at that store. None at West Kelowna or Kelowna. The clerk told me it was reduced same day from 998. Hooked it up last night and was very impressed with the picture. Nicer picture than most LCD's I've seen.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN50C550G1FXZA

[IMG]http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consum ... GI-L_2.jpg[/IMG]
14 replies
Sep 30, 2005
42 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Costco in Montreal (300 rue Bridge, Montréal, Quebec H3K 2C3) is selling this same tv for $789 regular price.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2005
898 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna
traumax wrote: Costco in Montreal (300 rue Bridge, Montréal, Quebec H3K 2C3) is selling this same tv for $789 regular price.
Yeah...figured that may be the case. But didn't want to go through the hassle of traveling to check out Costco's in store price.....online it's $100 more. Plus, some people don't have Costco memberships. So I thought I'd let people know. I was going to be the 46 inch LCD, but thought this was a better overall deal. Paid by MC too, so got air miles and doubling of the manufactures' warranty anyway. I'm happy. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2276 posts
2746 upvotes
Toronto
traumax wrote: Costco in Montreal (300 rue Bridge, Montréal, Quebec H3K 2C3) is selling this same tv for $789 regular price.

+1

2-year warranty, 90-day return policy. No brainer.
Nothing to see here folks...
Sep 30, 2005
42 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
KingCreole wrote: Yeah...figured that may be the case. But didn't want to go through the hassle of traveling to check out Costco's in store price.....online it's $100 more. Plus, some people don't have Costco memberships. So I thought I'd let people know. I was going to be the 46 inch LCD, but thought this was a better overall deal. Paid by MC too, so got air miles and doubling of the manufactures' warranty anyway. I'm happy. :)

I bought this same tv from costco after christmas and I'm very happy with it. I got costco to do a price guarantee because I paid more for it at that time and since it was still within their 90 day return policy they paid me back the difference. The way costco does their price guarantee is they treat it as a return and then you purchase the tv again at the new price. You don't need to bring in the tv, only the bill. This was fine with me as I ended up getting another 90 days if I want to return the tv.

Like you said, I was very impressed with the image quality. Plus you can play most types of media with a usb key or portable harddrive without the need of a media player.
Apr 2, 2003
703 posts
70 upvotes
Quebec
Seriously, Samsung plasmas still have a humm? wasn't that a problem 4 years ago with Samsung?

I saw this TV at WM yesterday, very nice. I still can't get over how inexpensive TVs are nowadays
Banned
Sep 7, 2007
105 posts
39 upvotes
Out of all the TV's I've been looking at as part of the February sales events this one seems to be the best. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy it? Any problems with it?

Thanks much!
Jan 16, 2009
173 posts
96 upvotes
Imperceptus wrote: Out of all the TV's I've been looking at as part of the February sales events this one seems to be the best. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy it? Any problems with it?

Thanks much!

Samsung plasmas have been notorious for having an audible buzzing sound. However the chances of getting a panel that buzzes is as random as Samsung's LCD panel lottery.

I have heard some Samsung plasmas buzz (C540, C550, C7000/8000) at big box stores and some that are dead quiet.

The only reason not to buy this panel other than the buzzing roulette would be to wait and see if the Panasonic G25/ V20 comes down in price. Those plasmas are considered one of the best panels of last year even with their floating/ rising black problems.

There is also the LG PK550/250 to consider.

No panel is perfect. Just purchase what you can afford and enjoy viewing. FOr the most part **** the reviews and try not to get analysis paralysis.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4963 posts
1961 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been reading the AVS Forums and it seems like just about every HDTV can have an issue with buzzing. Been reading a lot of posts on the Panasonic VT20/25 series which is their top end unit - some really unhappy owners there!! Buzzing, clicking, complete failures. I'd expect to see a few more negative posts for Pany just because they sell what... 5 time or 10 times more plasmas than Samsung? My current Pany has not been NOT trouble free, notably it is one of the ones that suffers from "purple snakes" and it had a complete sub-board failure that saw it go away for a week. Thank goodness for warranties doubled by the credit card.

I'm leaning to a 50C7000 if I can find one before they get sold out.
Banned
Sep 7, 2007
105 posts
39 upvotes
jsn23 wrote: Samsung plasmas have been notorious for having an audible buzzing sound. However the chances of getting a panel that buzzes is as random as Samsung's LCD panel lottery.

I have heard some Samsung plasmas buzz (C540, C550, C7000/8000) at big box stores and some that are dead quiet.

The only reason not to buy this panel other than the buzzing roulette would be to wait and see if the Panasonic G25/ V20 comes down in price. Those plasmas are considered one of the best panels of last year even with their floating/ rising black problems.

There is also the LG PK550/250 to consider.

No panel is perfect. Just purchase what you can afford and enjoy viewing. FOr the most part **** the reviews and try not to get analysis paralysis.

Well I have one of the Panny V10 models that I paid $2800 for a year and a half ago. This was just for a second TV. Sounded like the best to get. I picked it up tonight. Will let you know what I think of it.
Banned
Sep 7, 2007
105 posts
39 upvotes
Not a good experience so far. None of the HDMI ports work for some reason. Tried 3 devices so far. None are detected by it and you can't switch to a source unless it first detects it there. That's a really bad first impression.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3949 posts
3984 upvotes
Muskoka
I have this TV - this model. Bought about 1 month ago. Build date Jan 2011. Same price as this sale.

- No buzzing (unless you are 2 inches from side panel and no volume)
- Image retention issues (different than burn in) during the 1st week. I cannot see IR now even when I look for it.
- I tried it, but I do not use the media player functions. I have a WDTV which seems to work better.
- This is in a living/family room with the side walls full of windows. No problem.
- I do not use the TV speakers, so no comment there.
- Bought a mount from FactoryDirect, $30 (non-tilt)
- Great picture. Looks nice and sleek on the wall. So glad I got plasma over LCD

Very happy. Get it.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2005
898 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna
My set has no buzzing either.

Really loving this TV. The picture is so nice. And I still think it's a far better value than the 46" Samsung LCD that everyone is salivating over.