[OP]
Sep 9, 2007
204 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto

[Walmart] Schultz Grass Seed 9 Lb-20.98

Schultz grass seeds are on sale in Walmart for 20.98
Weight -9lb (4Kg)

In Ontario this is available if you are doing a grocery pickup.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/6000057190460
Images
  • 4760081C-D4E2-4CC4-A98E-B90D2E5F2D82.jpeg
29 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2599 posts
1219 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I am sure everyone would like to know the percentages. Any ideas?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2999 posts
5088 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This was on clearance last season for $4 along with the 10lb Scott's grass seed for $5.

Never tried the Schmidt one as I sold it this season for $25.

Edit: Schultz not Schmidt.
Last edited by stovetop on May 3rd, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2007
204 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
It is difficult to compare what was sold at clearance price an year back.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3040 posts
4544 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
stovetop wrote: This was on clearance last season for $4 along with the 10lb Scott's grass seed for $5.

Never tried the Schmidt one as I sold it this season for $25.
IIRC Schmidt is also sold at Dollarama. Ok, just found the bag I got from Dollarama. It is Schmidt all-purpose coated grass seed 300g at$3.00/bag (creeping red fescue, ryegrass, and kentucky bluegrass no percentages). Dollarama also sells Schmidt seed and feed (IIRC 2-5-2 NPK) but not sure of the price. Probably $4.00/bag and 400g. I've had good results from the Dollarama grass seed but it all boils down to how you prepare the lawn and keep it moist. Without keeping the lawn moist all the time any brands grass seed will die. If you use more soil then it can hold more moisture in. If you use less soil then you'll have to water more often (sometimes supply/demand out of soil or car breaks/etc use what you have).

My method which I've seen good results on over the years is 1. Mow lawn as short as possible. 2. Apply grass seed. 3. Add peat moss (holds moisture) 4. Add soil mix (topsoil/peat moss DIY mix at 2 part topsoil : 1 part peat moss or use triple mix/peatmoss again with 2:1) on top of the peat moss you already added. 5. Keep moist. The reason for #3 is so that layer of seperate peat moss closest to the seeds stays moist longer. The top soil with extra peat moss helps add more moisture retention.

I keep the rainmaker/hose outside the whole time but just move the hose/rainmaker every couple days till the grass has been germinated. I don't go the 1" soil thing due to cost of the soil so I estimate I have approx 1/3 inch of soil. Time of year also affects how much water you will use. Early spring seeding you use less water but cold/cooler for longer germination. Late spring/early summer you use more water but warmer temps for better germination. In early spring I water around 10:00-11:00 and around 15:00-17:00 but stop the watering a couple hours before sundown. If it gets really hot then I add 1-2 times more a day. You can get a programmable water timer or manual dial water timer or RFDer it and turn the outdoor tap on/off inside your home. When you turn the water on you want it to water for at least 10mins (I do 15mins) then turn off the water.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Dec 6, 2013
712 posts
270 upvotes
Ontario
thedealhunter2000 wrote: IIRC Schmidt is also sold at Dollarama. Ok, just found the bag I got from Dollarama. It is Schmidt all-purpose coated grass seed 300g at$3.00/bag (creeping red fescue, ryegrass, and kentucky bluegrass no percentages). Dollarama also sells Schmidt seed and feed (IIRC 2-5-2 NPK) but not sure of the price. Probably $4.00/bag and 400g. I've had good results from the Dollarama grass seed but it all boils down to how you prepare the lawn and keep it moist. Without keeping the lawn moist all the time any brands grass seed will die. If you use more soil then it can hold more moisture in. If you use less soil then you'll have to water more often (sometimes supply/demand out of soil or car breaks/etc use what you have).

My method which I've seen good results on over the years is 1. Mow lawn as short as possible. 2. Apply grass seed. 3. Add peat moss (holds moisture) 4. Add soil mix (topsoil/peat moss DIY mix at 2 part topsoil : 1 part peat moss or use triple mix/peatmoss again with 2:1) on top of the peat moss you already added. 5. Keep moist. The reason for #3 is so that layer of seperate peat moss closest to the seeds stays moist longer. The top soil with extra peat moss helps add more moisture retention.

I keep the rainmaker/hose outside the whole time but just move the hose/rainmaker every couple days till the grass has been germinated. I don't go the 1" soil thing due to cost of the soil so I estimate I have approx 1/3 inch of soil. Time of year also affects how much water you will use. Early spring seeding you use less water but cold/cooler for longer germination. Late spring/early summer you use more water but warmer temps for better germination. In early spring I water around 10:00-11:00 and around 15:00-17:00 but stop the watering a couple hours before sundown. If it gets really hot then I add 1-2 times more a day. You can get a programmable water timer or manual dial water timer or RFDer it and turn the outdoor tap on/off inside your home. When you turn the water on you want it to water for at least 10mins (I do 15mins) then turn off the water.
Thanks for sharing. My lawn is an embarrassment. I will keep these tips in mind. Ok who am I kidding, my memory is shit. I will keep some of these tips in mind.
:cool:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2957 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Very similar to the price that costco has the Scotts this week.
3.8kg for $19.99 ($5 discount from regular $24.9 9 price).

pic compliments of the weekly Costco thread by Ju Leon.

Contains a special blend of three of the best turf-type grass seed: Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue, and Kentucky Bluegrass. But does not give any percentages.

Reviews are all over the place for all brands of grass seed. And they seem to vary from one year to the other.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15381 posts
3851 upvotes
I wanna tru RTF seeds ..looking for deal
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15381 posts
3851 upvotes
Dont get jealous when u see my lush lawn
Lol
Images
  • 4A6A4EEA-EF9E-4877-9DFF-E306F3547CE1.jpeg
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jul 25, 2017
768 posts
255 upvotes
kiasu wrote: Dont get jealous when u see my lush lawn
Lol
Wow , I'm jelly :p
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1453 posts
213 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lol
Tell us your secrets please!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2933 posts
2544 upvotes
Markham
Tip for great grass once you’ve fixed it... mow at a high setting. Your lawn will look awesome, provided you did all the other steps well. A healthy lawn will require less watering and crowd out weeds so they can’t grow.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6889 posts
2839 upvotes
Montreal
Lol
I just want to sleep on it and dream my day away.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2784 posts
258 upvotes
HDawg wrote: Tip for great grass once you’ve fixed it... mow at a high setting. Your lawn will look awesome, provided you did all the other steps well. A healthy lawn will require less watering and crowd out weeds so they can’t grow.
Mow high, my friends! Mow high.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15381 posts
3851 upvotes
sterdeus wrote: Tell us your secrets please!
similar method mentioned by @thedealhunter2000

i blend or mix them using a wheel barrow
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jul 20, 2005
814 posts
37 upvotes
kiasu wrote: similar method mentioned by @thedealhunter2000

i blend or mix them using a wheel barrow
Which brand of seed are you using? I want to fix my lawn to many dandelions Weary FaceFace With Cold Sweat
[OP]
Sep 9, 2007
204 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
CH40Z_008 wrote: Which brand of seed are you using? I want to fix my lawn to many dandelions Weary FaceFace With Cold Sweat
Take out the dandelions with a weeder.
It is easy to take out the weeds and fill the holes left with new grass seeds.
Aug 8, 2007
182 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Emporium wrote: Very similar to the price that costco has the Scotts this week.
3.8kg for $19.99 ($5 discount from regular $24.9 9 price).

pic compliments of the weekly Costco thread by Ju Leon.

Contains a special blend of three of the best turf-type grass seed: Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue, and Kentucky Bluegrass. But does not give any percentages.

Reviews are all over the place for all brands of grass seed. And they seem to vary from one year to the other.
Anyone know if we can buy this in Ontario right now with the restrictions in place?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20307 posts
4828 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
I thought it was better to spread out the soil, add seeds, and then rake the soil again to mix it up with the seeds.
Any comments on this?