Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Scotts Grass Seed 50%off ymmv

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 1:53 pm
Jan 12, 2017
768 posts
2374 upvotes

[Walmart] Scotts Grass Seed 50%off ymmv

Images
  • 5B17B8D0-858F-4A4C-82A5-48BB079CC4E0.jpeg
Last edited by redondo2017 on Sep 14th, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD in Southern Ontario, don't forget we may see 40-60mm of rain by the end of Thursday September 23. Unless your lawn is very flat, save your seeding efforts until after the rain, to minimize wash-away.
206 replies
Jul 4, 2017
242 posts
444 upvotes
This is a good deal, but as a lawn-head I'm gonna give my feedback on Scott's seeds - it's bad.

There is a whole bunch of random shit that grows instead of what should grow. I thought I'm doing something wrong, but then I started buying Golfgreen and the difference is night and day.

/Edit removed a false statement as I forgot that not everyone lives where I live Smirking Face
Last edited by IsraSoldier on Sep 14th, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
IsraSoldier wrote: This is a good deal, but as a lawn-head I'm gonna give my feedback on Scott's seeds - it's bad.

There is a whole bunch of random shit that grows instead of what should grow. I thought I'm doing something wrong, but then I started buying Golfgreen and the difference is night and day.

Another tip - the seeds won't germinate in these temperatures, so this is a purchase for next year.
odd tip considering the various temperatures across the country.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
IsraSoldier wrote: This is a good deal, but as a lawn-head I'm gonna give my feedback on Scott's seeds - it's bad.

Another tip - the seeds won't germinate in these temperatures, so this is a purchase for next year.
I thought September and April were the best months for reseeding etc ?
Buy now
Sep 30, 2010
293 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga

this time of year is better than summer for grass to grow... spring and fall are the best times
May 10, 2017
659 posts
467 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: I thought September and April were the best months for reseeding etc ?
Grass will grow really well right around now if you seed
Donate to your local food bank today!
Sep 4, 2015
525 posts
476 upvotes
Yep, with the rain in southern Ontario right now and cool nights my sod and seed has been doing very well
Making my money go further with RFD since 2017

$25/25GB PhoneBox
$25/20GB Fido Plan
$30/10GB PhoneBox plan
Jul 16, 2009
274 posts
104 upvotes
I'm in Toronto and these 2 weeks were perfect. Lots of Rain and temperature in high teen and low 20s
Dec 23, 2010
292 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
IsraSoldier wrote: ... as a lawn-head ....

... the seeds won't germinate in these temperatures, so this is a purchase for next year...
What? Please tell me you live in Alberta or something.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2018
1261 posts
2319 upvotes

You're a lawn head but you don't know the fall is the best time to plant grass?

You've got to be kidding me.

Literally any lawn head would plant/ over seed in the fall.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1390 posts
1176 upvotes

any good suggestions for large bags of lawn fertilizer for fall?
Dec 6, 2005
130 posts
88 upvotes
Ontario, best time to plant is now... Last September I covered my entire lawn with top soil to level it off and seeded with grass seeds. Grass grew back in 7 days, by 14 days, fresh new lawn. Keep in mind you will need to keep the lawn moist through-out the day. Let it dry out, the grass seeds won't germinate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
Yup, this should be a good time for seeding, in southern Ontario at least. I laid out some seeds only about 7-8 days ago and the grass has already sprouted about 1.5 inches
Mar 5, 2015
61 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON

I'm growing Scotts grass at the moment in Ottawa. It seems to be coming in well, and it's September. So ymmv I guess on your grass growing luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
I thought buying a higher mix of KBG is the way to go.
Aug 14, 2004
330 posts
188 upvotes
Burnaby

/Edit removed a false statement as I forgot that not everyone lives where I live Smirking Face
I agree I'm in Vancouver bought a $50 bag at Costco blanketed the area twice and it grew 5% grass 40% other crap and 55% nothing!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
cn_habs wrote: I thought buying a higher mix of KBG is the way to go.
KBG doesn't do well in the shade, so really depends on your lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
fable wrote: I agree I'm in Vancouver bought a $50 bag at Costco blanketed the area twice and it grew 5% grass 40% other crap and 55% nothing!
They won't sell you seeds with other crap.. So the other stuff that grew likely took over during the process, since I presume you cut the grass short (~1-1.5") before overseeding, which allows the weeds/other stuff to grow through the grass. 55% nothing just means you either applied too heavily and it didn't germinate, didn't water enough, or didn't cut the lawn short enough to allow the seeds to hit soil level (and allow sunlight to hit the seeds).

Either way, Scotts is mediocre, and you're better off spending money on quality seeds if you care about results. However, to say Scotts is selling you non-grass seed (ie weeds) is a little aggressive. They can linger under the surface for a long time, and will take over exceptionally quickly once they're given the opportunity (ie stressing your lawn prepping for the overseed).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)