[Walmart] Sega Genesis Mini - $64.96

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 8:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2012
238 posts
328 upvotes

[Walmart] Sega Genesis Mini - $64.96

I just came across this deal while browsing Walmart's early Black Friday flyer. That is a pretty great price (savings of $35) for a product that launched only two months ago! Well worth picking up, even at a higher price point in my opinion. Will we see a cheaper price at other retailers during black friday week? quite possibly, but you can always make a return should that be the case. This is the only genesis mini that is worth picking up -- do NOT consider getting any of the @games sega products under any circumstances unless you don't mind an inferior and medicore substitute to the real thing!

Sale begins on November 21st.
Images
  • genesis_mini_walmart.png
Last edited by xristophoros on Nov 19th, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
60 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2012
238 posts
328 upvotes
Ninja Robot Pirate wrote: It's still overpriced at $65, no?
Depends on who you talk to. This is a quality product on par with the nes/snes classics and well worth it at this price in my opinion. I don't anticipate it hitting the bargain bins like the playstation classic but it could possibly drop lower at some point... who knows.
Dec 3, 2007
978 posts
226 upvotes
Ottawa
I got mine for next to nothing at Shoppers using my points the day it came out. I should open it and give it a try :)
Nov 22, 2017
163 posts
183 upvotes
Add that to my list of BF purchases. Thanks OP, upvote for you!
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2621 posts
686 upvotes
As far as nostalgic mini consoles go, this is one of the best ones. Up to you to decide how much that experience is worth to you though. The emulation and games are high calibre though.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2012
238 posts
328 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: The nostalgia wore off quick lol
I'm still enjoying the retro games from the nes/snes/genesis classics but yea, you need to have a certain mindset going in and temper expectations somewhat. Some games hold up better than others but there are gems in there for sure! I like to take breaks in between the modern AAA stuff and alternate with some retro goodness every so often. Helps to keep the hobby fresh!
Sep 26, 2018
888 posts
1963 upvotes
Get a Raspberry Pi for cheaper guys and install all the emulators you can dream of at once, don't feed this faux naustalgia
I have spoken
Nov 22, 2017
163 posts
183 upvotes
almasyseifer wrote: Get a Raspberry Pi for cheaper guys and install all the emulators you can dream of at once, don't feed this faux naustalgia
Great suggestion for tinker-ers! Some of the retro consoles are also modable to get large libraries on the retro consoles.

But not need to get down on people enjoying these consoles. They never need driver updates or have input delays. Sometimes it nice to just plug and play.

I’m not sure what qualifies as real nostalgia if this is “faux” to you.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2012
238 posts
328 upvotes
almasyseifer wrote: Get a Raspberry Pi for cheaper guys and install all the emulators you can dream of at once, don't feed this faux naustalgia
that is an option but... 1) genesis mini (at this price) is cheaper than a pi by a fair margin. 2) with retroarch installed (genesis mini will be hacked soon to allow it), you can get all of the 16bit and older consoles running on the genesis mini as well (many n64 and ps1 games will likely be problematic but they have issues on the pi as well in many cases). 3) easier to setup than the pi. 4) nice UI, two nice controllers included and a shell that the pi cannot match.

unless a pi can emulate ps2, saturn and dreamcast games well (which it can't), i don't see much of a reason to get a pi over genesis mini but everyone is entitled to their own perferences.
Dec 14, 2012
345 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
In my case, it depends on the quality of the controllers. I remember the biggest money I spent with my old Genesis was on controllers :(
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1324 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
xristophoros wrote: Depends on who you talk to. This is a quality product on par with the nes/snes classics and well worth it at this price in my opinion. I don't anticipate it hitting the bargain bins like the playstation classic but it could possibly drop lower at some point... who knows.
dbdudley wrote: As far as nostalgic mini consoles go, this is one of the best ones. Up to you to decide how much that experience is worth to you though. The emulation and games are high calibre though.
Smh, I hate it when RFDers convince me to spend money, but here we go...
Nov 9, 2010
646 posts
453 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Just get a Playstation Classic instead for $30 and install Autobleem:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playstatio ... 0198994551

It is cheaper than a Pi and can play anything from Atari to Dreamcast without issues. It already comes with everything you need aside from a USB drive and maybe an OTG cable if you want to use the two included controllers at the same time.
Mar 30, 2008
339 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote: The nostalgia wore off quick lol
My walk down the memory lane lasted about 30 minutes before I jumped back to the PS4. Back in the 90's I either owned or played over half of those games and loved every minute of it. it's amazing how much better games are nowadays. It sounds weird but even Tetris was a lot better on the PS4.