Shopping Discussion

Walmart selling open-box video games (at a discount)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 12:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4801 posts
4571 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

Walmart selling open-box video games (at a discount)

Is this a new thing? I've literally never seen it before and didn't realize they could even do it.

Walked in to one here today and saw this sitting on the shelf, at half price from BNIB. Like the code inside (for Dishonored: DE and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider) still even worked!
Images
  • 343676D5-2FD7-44BE-BE7E-91AF183ABD6E.jpeg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3355 posts
3430 upvotes
GTA
They aren't open box like at BestBuy. They are new and someone ripped the wrapping. Walmart has/had bins of games piled on top of each other that people go through and once the wrap gets a small rip it just keeps getting bigger until it's entire or mostly off.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3994 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
This is likely ripped from shipping or damaged from shipping. It happens and is a case by case thing. Walmart doesn’t allow returns nor do trade in (in Canada at least) so their open box video games really are just damaged packages. If you don’t care about the packaging, it could be a decent deal.
Feb 22, 2017
352 posts
240 upvotes
Typically this happens with the big bin of games were eventually the wrapping that gets torn completely gets torn off

If you take it to one of the scanners you’ll find that it’s typically one of the generic game sku’s like $5, 10 dollar $20 etc. video game
Won’t even necessarily correlate to the game title it’s just a generic throwaway SKU that has a weight so as to not throw off the self check out as much
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4801 posts
4571 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Paigne wrote: This is likely ripped from shipping or damaged from shipping. It happens and is a case by case thing. Walmart doesn’t allow returns nor do trade in (in Canada at least) so their open box video games really are just damaged packages. If you don’t care about the packaging, it could be a decent deal.
Oh it's an incredible deal haha. As soon as I figured out the code was still valid there was zero chance I was leaving without it. $16.78 after tax for:

-Dishonored: DE ($8.09 ATL on PSN)
-Dishonored 2 ($13.37 ATL on PSN) (physical copy)
-Dishonored: DotO ($9.99 ATL on PSN)
-Prey ($9.99 ATL on PSN) (physical copy)

Which totals $41.44 individually. The lowest this bundle itself has been on PSN is $32.99 though.

Only thing is that the stickers they used are clearly not meant to be used on PS game cases so I need some glue remover now :(
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3994 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
chemicalxv wrote: Oh it's an incredible deal haha. As soon as I figured out the code was still valid there was zero chance I was leaving without it. $16.78 after tax for:

-Dishonored: DE ($8.09 ATL on PSN)
-Dishonored 2 ($13.37 ATL on PSN) (physical copy)
-Dishonored: DotO ($9.99 ATL on PSN)
-Prey ($9.99 ATL on PSN) (physical copy)

Which totals $41.44 individually. The lowest this bundle itself has been on PSN is $32.99 though.

Only thing is that the stickers they used are clearly not meant to be used on PS game cases so I need some glue remover now :(
It has been on sale lots of times (physical) at $40 last year. It’s now regular price at $32 at eb but I honestly haven’t kept track of it’s sale price for a while.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/878219

It’s a good collection of games if you never played them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4801 posts
4571 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Paigne wrote: It has been on sale lots of times (physical) at $40 last year. It’s now regular price at $32 at eb but I honestly haven’t kept track of it’s sale price for a while.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/878219

It’s a good collection of games if you never played them.
That's for a Play'd copy, and in that copy you'd only get Dishonored 2 and Prey, because Dishonored: DE and DotO are a digital code packed in.

That's why the TIV is also only $8 lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3994 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
chemicalxv wrote: That's for a Play'd copy, and in that copy you'd only get Dishonored 2 and Prey, because Dishonored: DE and DotO are a digital code packed in.

That's why the TIV is also only $8 lol.
Like I said, didn’t pay attention to the price. I know it was $40 last Black Friday in one of the flyers. That’s really the last price I remember. Pretty sure it’s not a regular item in flyers either given the demand for it is pretty low (due to most having some or the entire collection already, all the games are good but old/been on sale a lot).

Edit, quick google search shows the regular price at $40... bestbuy and Walmart.