• May 13th, 2019 4:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
164 posts
288 upvotes
Hamilton

[Walmart] Similac Advance (or Sensitive) Concentrate [$39.98 or less w/ coupon]

similac.png

Similac Advance Step 1 and Step 2 or Sensitive Concentrate on sale at Walmart, can be price-matched at applicable retailers. If you have the $5 off (manufacturer or tear-off) or $10 off (manufacturer), it sweetens the deal. If you PM at PC-branded locations, you could also get bonus points on your PCF card. The Walmart I go has a walk-in clinic inside and they have stacks of $5 off coupons if you want to try your luck. I realize 20% off isn't huge hype, but these aren't the things that typically go on sale often. $44.65 cheapest on Amazon ever based on CCC. Also eligible for free Walmart (standard) shipping if you don't have coupons to stack as long as you buy two boxes or use fillers. Stock up - I sure did! Would love to know if this isn't a good deal and has been better.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1046 posts
2297 upvotes
lel
Yeah I have boxes upon boxes piled up because of this rare savings
Virgin $30 for $15 GB
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Aug 11, 2017
562 posts
351 upvotes
Cheaper than Costcos $60 for 2 cans of enfamil?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
164 posts
288 upvotes
Hamilton
Aren't the "cans" of Enfamil powder-form? I have not seen concentrates being sold in Costco near me as they only stock powder. These are concentrate, so you mix it with 1:1 formula and water. Each can is 385ml and each box is 12 cans, resulting in 9,240ml of a meal per box. I have not used powder yet, so if you know the resulting meals from the two cans put together, you can see whether or not it's a better deal. Part of the issue is that my baby also didn't have a good experience with Enfamil, so unfortunately even if we could find it available, I don't think we'd force him to use it - lest we have to clean it up after.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1177 posts
550 upvotes
Is concentrate easier to use than powder? You still need to have distilled water for both no? Does it reduce the amount of bubbles?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5338 posts
2572 upvotes
ariel wrote: Is concentrate easier to use than powder? You still need to have distilled water for both no? Does it reduce the amount of bubbles?
i believe concentrate can be made and kept for up to 24 hrs in the fridge. powder must be consumed immediately after mixing.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
164 posts
288 upvotes
Hamilton
ariel wrote: Is concentrate easier to use than powder? You still need to have distilled water for both no? Does it reduce the amount of bubbles?
BenK wrote: i believe concentrate can be made and kept for up to 24 hrs in the fridge. powder must be consumed immediately after mixing.
Purely anecdotal, 'we' find it preferable to use concentrate over powder. Powder is usually not sterile and must be handled properly to avoid foodborne illness. Powder is contraindicated for certain babies at-risk (premature, immuno-compromised, etc.) because of this reason - I'm not a medical professional but have been informed by healthcare practitioner, so you should always speak to a medical professional if you're unsure as they'll best know your child's history. Distilled water has not been 'marked' as required on the instructions, though using previously boiled-to-cool water is necessary for both. We have a reverse osmosis machine at home and we boil that to cool to mix with our liquid formula, so we've never had to depend on distilled water. The bubbles are probably not overly relevant since both settle pretty quickly, but I just know that especially in the earlier stages, my little one had a lot of problems digesting powder-formula over concentrate. As long as your child doesn't have any additional risks, using general clean (but not distilled/RO), boiled water is usually enough to keep them safe when mixed with properly handled formula.
Mar 10, 2007
898 posts
371 upvotes
I bought 16 X 235 ML step 1 from shoppers drug mart on sale for $39.99 + 20X points
Apr 17, 2005
229 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn’t really say this is a deal.
I have been using the Similac concentrate for almost a year now and I find buying it at shoppers drug mart to be the best option. Shoppers regular price is $54.99 and when you purchase on 20x points day you earn $16.50 in points so it’s like getting it for $38.50 before coupons. 20x points day happens pretty frequently or usually there is a personal offer every week for 20x when you spend a certain amount.
My only issue with Shoppers is that sometimes they don’t have stock of this formula at there stores so a few times I had to call around to be able to buy it.
If you don’t collect PC points then this Walmart deal is good.
Mar 10, 2007
898 posts
371 upvotes
dal524 wrote: I wouldn’t really say this is a deal.
I have been using the Similac concentrate for almost a year now and I find buying it at shoppers drug mart to be the best option. Shoppers regular price is $54.99 and when you purchase on 20x points day you earn $16.50 in points so it’s like getting it for $38.50 before coupons. 20x points day happens pretty frequently or usually there is a personal offer every week for 20x when you spend a certain amount.
My only issue with Shoppers is that sometimes they don’t have stock of this formula at there stores so a few times I had to call around to be able to buy it.
+1 and it’s on sale at shoppers drug mart this week for $39.99
May 2, 2016
86 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I would say it's a decent deal for parents who want delivery to their doorstep -- husband and I used to go in-store (superstore, walmart) and get frustrated when there was no stock on the shelves (at full price, I might add!) It seemed to us that liquid concentrate tended to get less stocked up, than compared to powder. There's always powder on the shelves, but it was usually 50/50 chance with concentrate. It was frustrating to visit multiple stores because there was no stock at the first (or second) place we visited (and we didn't want to hunt around for a person, wait who knows how long for re-stocking, etc - don't have the luxury of waiting when shopping with baby!). In store shopping was only kind of worthwhile if we had the Similac manufacturer cheques that one receives after you sign up to their website.

That is, until I discovered that I could get a discount if I purchased ONLINE, and have it delivered right to my door! No more running around stores looking for the elusive box of concentrate liquid formula, and lugging it back home! Save money, save time and save energy! So I used to be able to Amazon subscribe&save(s&s) Similac Step 1 and Step 2 advanced concentrated liquid 12 x 385ml cans with 15% discount (around $42.45/box). That is, until Amazon.ca removed it as an offering (Step 2) for s&s sometime last year. Crying Face

So then I grudgingly switched to walmart.ca auto-save with only 5% off, with free delivery (about $47.21/box). So I had a very pleasant surprise on Friday when I saw that my auto-save delivery confirmation e-mail for Step 2 was $39.98/box. Smiling Face With Open Mouth There was no usual 5% auto-save discount on top, but I'm not complaining.

Lastly - in my exp/memory from mid 2016 to present - the cheapest price per box for Similac concentrate liquid that I've ever seen was $45/box. It was Superstore (that week, they had tonnes of stock - we bought 8 boxes Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes) That was sometime in 2017, I believe...when husband and I were newbie parents and any discount for concentrate liquid was jumped at, and taken advantage of.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
164 posts
288 upvotes
Hamilton
sam100 wrote: I bought 16 X 235 ML step 1 from shoppers drug mart on sale for $39.99 + 20X points
That is a tremendous deal! Our whole family (3 adults) have gone to SDM 3 times this week and the baby aisle is our every-visit-go-to and we did not notice 39.99... so either we're just blind or it isn't offered in the two stores near our area unfortunately. Did the 20x points require any amount spent? I feel saddened I missed this...
dal524 wrote: I wouldn’t really say this is a deal.
We typically take advantage of the senior's day as I take my mom and get an extra 20% ($11) off along with our coupon and has been our typical MO. Now that you mention this, I'll have to investigate into it - I suppose whether it's we want to save our money and have it in our pockets now or as a cash-equivalent in points. It'd be great to do the 20x points without a limit, otherwise, we'd have to also buy several at a time. We usually only stock +1 case every week, so if it requires $75, we'd have to buy two or fillers. Since my baby was born since August of 2018, we've already ran into 6 ocassions where surrounding stores ran out of the specific one we needed and they even helped me check other stores through their system to find none were available. It caused for a bit of panic...
AmaranthLily wrote: I would say it's a decent deal for parents who want delivery to their doorstep -- husband and I used to go in-store (superstore, walmart) and get frustrated when there was no stock on the shelves (at full price, I might add!) It seemed to us that liquid concentrate tended to get less stocked up, than compared to powder. There's always powder on the shelves, but it was usually 50/50 chance with concentrate.
Could be that concentrate and the size of their boxes take up a lot more real-estate on the shelves... haha. The three Walmart's I typically go to only have one "depth row" per type of formula and stacks of powder.
Mar 10, 2007
898 posts
371 upvotes
xkaliber wrote: That is a tremendous deal! Our whole family (3 adults) have gone to SDM 3 times this week and the baby aisle is our every-visit-go-to and we did not notice 39.99... so either we're just blind or it isn't offered in the two stores near our area unfortunately. Did the 20x points require any amount spent? I feel saddened I missed this...

It's in flyer valid until Thursday
Images
  • similac.PNG
[OP]
Jun 6, 2011
164 posts
288 upvotes
Hamilton
sam100 wrote:
Ah, so there-in lies the discrepancy as to why we didn't see it... the sale at SDM, is for ready-to-feed 16's which are not the concentrate style we purchase or as referenced in this thread. The concentrate ones look like this:
and come in cases of 12's and each can is 385ml. Both are indeed liquid in nature, so I can see the confusion.

The ones being offered at SDM would be these:
Oct 13, 2006
296 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks OP .. I ordered a couple cases since I have some vouchers to use
Will last me a couple of months when our newborn comes in July
rohicoffee.ca