Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

Sun Joe 14inch 20v Battery Lawn Mower - $238.48 (PM HD $214.63)

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2021 10:05 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2731 posts
1734 upvotes

[Walmart] Sun Joe 14inch 20v Battery Lawn Mower - $238.48 (PM HD $214.63)

Not a bad deal for people with small lawns. My tiny gas powered mower broke and it's $199 anywhere to replace with the cheapest possible gas mower. This little electric mower provides good value, especially when price matched with Home Depot (I successfully did this over text).
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1358 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
I have a small suite of ryobi 18v tools so naturally I wanted to get a ryobi 18v mower too. Seems like the 18v overheats and may burn the battery terminal. It is a known issue and ryobi will replace the battery, but just seems like a lot of hassle. Seems like it needs a few battery changes too depending on size of your lawn/Length of grass. For this reason I’m actually considering other battery ecosystem for outdoor tools (string/hedge trimmer, leaf blower that I will use to blow dry my car post wash). Could go ryobi 40v since they have a couple 40v accessories like the one that allows you to plug in to charge your phone and laptop. Pretty neat emergency backup power
Aug 7, 2011
801 posts
369 upvotes
I have this Sun Joe mower and I paid $160 exactly 1 year ago from HD. It wasn't marked as on-sale so I didn't even realize it was a hot deal at the time...

Pros: For my 1300 sq.ft grass, this mower has been really solid!
- It hardly breaks a sweat and I can usually get 2 cuts out of 1 charge.
- There's an automatic "turbo" mode that kicks in when there's more resistance from longer grass.
- It weighs next to nothing and can be carried with 1 hand.

Cons:
- Battery not removable; have to plug in charger to mower.
- Bag is tiny. If you don't bag clippings, they make a side discharge chute separately for $40 that appears to be discontinued..

Although I'm not very familiar with the Ryobi model, I'd personally still lean towards it after reading the HD description.

Some benefits over the SunJoe:
- Big plus from having removable 4 AH battery and charger
- single lever to adjust height (SunJoe is a bit trickier to adjust and sometimes drops height on its own)
- 2-in-1 mulching as per description (I don't think you can mulch with the SunJoe but not totally sure)

Cons compared to SunJoe:
-Cutting path is only 13" vs. the SunJoe's 14" cutting path.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just be aware that most of the new battery mowers have 60V or better batteries (even though the one in the link is 28V and not 20 as listed in the title). Your lawn would have to be awfully small (14" cut) and not very tall for this to work for you. They're clearing out older models that few would want today, it seems. Even the 40V power sources are dated now.

If you have a tiny lawn and keep it pretty short, then it might work for you. Most others, the cut width is minimal and power source is quite small.

For instance, going from my 21" cut gas mower to this would add considerable time to my lawn cutting.
Nov 22, 2017
92 posts
43 upvotes
Kamrana wrote: How are bellow models comparing with the thread's one?

18 in. 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower with 4.0 Ah Li-ion Battery ($299)
https://www.princessauto.com/en/lawn-mo ... 65-060-055

Or

RADLEY 17.5" Cordless Lawn Mower - 40 Volt + Brushless
Theoretically these are both significantly better in terms of cut width, voltage, and features (eg. Removable battery, brushless motor, self-propelled)

However there's not really many reviews so idk 🤷🏻‍♀️