[Walmart] Super Tech Full Synthetic - $14.97 for 5L

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 8:36 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1734 posts
3762 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: And VAG 502.00 ;)
Is this actually approved by VW for use though? I read awhile ago that meets or exceeds is not the same as approved and should be used cautiously.

Found this VW owner that posted about it this year. Note the link of approved oils that one of the responding posters linked too, where Supertech is not listed.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... an-Formula

Here's the link to the 2017 Audi/VW service bulletin listing the officially approved engine oils I'm referring too: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... 2.2018.pdf
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13252 posts
7013 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Lemonsquash wrote: Seems like a great deal, ill have to try and find some 0w20 in stock.

Those who are buying these jugs, do you change the oil yourself or take it to a local mechanic/shop? I'm wondering what places like jiffylube will charge if I supply the oil.
DIY ~15min, not counting time to let it completely drain where I go inside have a coffee whatever. I don't trust places that'll over torque everything. The filter tool was cheap on Amazon. OEM filters are less than $10 at dealership. Ramps https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8792301e

No brainer for me, saving >$100 on 2 vehicles every time, and on my own schedule because going to/waiting somewhere else is time consuming too.
Jan 26, 2011
520 posts
263 upvotes
Gatineau
AncasterRFD wrote: DIY ~15min, not counting time to let it completely drain where I go inside have a coffee whatever. I don't trust places that'll over torque everything. The filter tool was cheap on Amazon. OEM filters are less than $10 at dealership. Ramps https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8792301e

No brainer for me, saving >$100 on 2 vehicles every time, and on my own schedule because going to/waiting somewhere else is time consuming too.
It was a no-brainer for all my cars until those GM engineers decided to put the filter in a barely accessible spot, on its side... It's easy to take off, but cleaning the mess and installing the new one is a pain in the foufounnes. I still do it myself for the convenience of not having to book an appointment, I probably only save $30 compared to going to the dealership.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6246 posts
2093 upvotes
Where do people get cheap car parts like filters air and oil?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
2127 posts
1481 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks OP. Bought 4 5w30's. I notice the regular price is $19.99 (picture below)

The conventional is selling @ $13.xx
Images
  • 20201026_120159.jpg
  • 20201026_120209.jpg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27675 posts
8031 upvotes
Krime1k wrote: Is this actually approved by VW for use though? I read awhile ago that meets or exceeds is not the same as approved and should be used cautiously.
This list you posted is a TSB from 2017, this oil was not being bottled/sold at that point in time so of course it will not appear there. Also the TSB never says you must use an oil that is on the list, nor be officially "approved" by anyone. It just says it has to conform to the specs. Additionally it says those that are even on the list are "generally available in North America" not that the list is exclusive of other oils that might meet the specs.

Super-tech has printed on the bottle that it meets these requirements. Whether this would appear on an updated list from VAG is unknown because it doesn't seem like there is a "current"/live-updated list of any sort just PDFs from some years ago. There are also various lists out there one of which includes Warren's own Mag1 brand (apparently sold in places in US) which is more than likely the exact same thing as in this bottle.

I don't believe there is any official licensing involved with VW oil specs as there are with general API licensing and Dexos licensing. Never seen any trademark markings related to VW oil specs. A google search of VW oil spec licensing turns up nothing; that along with the absence of trademarked logos/specs, mean there isn't any. In other words there is no "official approval" of VW oil specs. The oil specs are made available to manufacturers, which surely Warren would have, and if they meet/exceed those requirements they print it on the bottle. Sure anyone could print anything but it doesn't seem like Warren is that type of company...

One of the main things about the 502.00 spec is that it prevents oil sludging. This is not oil made by some unknown manufacturer in who knows here, it's OEM'd by Warren a very reputable oil manufacturer. For them to print on the bottle that it meets the requirements, it has to meet the requirements. Anything less would mean someone could drag them into a lawsuit which would quickly become a class action. I don't think a major US oil manufacturer would be so careless and stupid as to just start printing random specs on a bottle when it doesn't meet those specs. Furthermore if they did that, why wouldn't they print these specs on more grades of oil? These specs are only met on the 5W40 grade. This is not some small time/unknown oil producer we're talking about or an offshore company. Granted there are some US companies that have used API markings w/o licensing but Warren is certainly not one of them.

My car(s) are out of warranty, it's up to you what you want to believe or what companies you trust. From my point of view, Warren looks like a reputable and trustworthy company and those that have tested the oils and sent to Blackstone, etc. show great results. If you would prefer to buy Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil instead that's certainly your prerogative. Even a car under warranty there would have to be a very odd failure for them to try to chemically analyse the oil to find out if it were actually 502.00 spec anyway. this would be far more in-depth than a simple $30 Blackstone analysis would provide as well. I think the only reason they'd actually investigate the oil type used would be if there was oil sludging developed--an easy indicator that 502.00 spec oil wasn't used.
Feb 5, 2019
168 posts
150 upvotes
Picked a few bottles last time they had a sale. Car seemed to have burned less oil ever since this was swapped in instead of the Mobil/Castrol we used prior.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3759 posts
1043 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: The conventional is selling @ $13.xx
I'm sure the conventional is just fine, my car certainly doesn't require synthetic, but for $1.25 more.... hard to imagine it's even worth stocking both at this point.
Sep 14, 2020
302 posts
158 upvotes
CorSter wrote: I'm sure the conventional is just fine, my car certainly doesn't require synthetic, but for $1.25 more.... hard to imagine it's even worth stocking both at this point.
Only problem is if you have an older car with higher mileage, it might start leaking oil because the synthetic will clean the gunk. Only problem is what is classified as high mileage and old? 100K? 200k? 300k? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years?

I'm in the 13 year, 110k, so I think I'll just risk it and do a transition to synthetic, as the price difference is more and more insignificant. Unfortunately none of these available at my local WM :(. And my Costco has been having the 5W20 on backorder for months, their floor is still full of 5W30
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3759 posts
1043 upvotes
I'm at 11 years, 200k, have always put the cheapest oil in it from day one (which these days is almost always a syn blend anyways) in a car that requires nothing special.

Next oil change is going to be a mix of clearance oils from Walmart (got a bunch of $2-3 quarts), but after that it'll probably be Supertech or Costco synthetic until it stops running. So cheap it's not worth shopping around anymore.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
2331 posts
1501 upvotes
Ontario
vivibaby wrote: Where do people get cheap car parts like filters air and oil?
You just missed this Walmart clearance deal on Fram oil filters

Stocked up on TG7317 for my Honda.