• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 11:40 am
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.

Walmart Suspends Weekly Flyers

I'm not surprised - but a little sad I won't be able to price match at Save On Foods for the time being!
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 8.42.10 PM.png
92 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I went to Walmart this evening just before 8pm closing time and tried price-matching something from Safeway. They said they have stopped price-matching, ugh!!!!! I consider this price gouging,, just liike suspending the flyer specials!
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
Becks wrote: I went to Walmart this evening just before 8pm closing time and tried price-matching something from Safeway. They said they have stopped price-matching, ugh!!!!! I consider this price gouging,, just liike suspending the flyer specials!
there's a Chinese story that's been trending in the past few years and it goes something like this:
There's a beggar that always comes my apartment building and everyday on my way to work I would bring food and tea for him. I do this for a whole year but for the Chinese New Years I leave with my family and visit my parents for a month. When I come back the beggar is furious with me and shouts and insults me saying "where have you been for the past month? I have been without breakfast and tea all this time! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

:rolleyes:
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
32 upvotes
Becks wrote: I went to Walmart this evening just before 8pm closing time and tried price-matching something from Safeway. They said they have stopped price-matching, ugh!!!!! I consider this price gouging,, just liike suspending the flyer specials!
Are the specials still in store or are there no specials at all? If the latter than that is indeed incredibly weak. All the big companies are still making money hand over fist, and now they are removing flyers because that will put more money in their pockets.

If weekly deals are still going on as advertised, then i guess we can just wait for info to be posted on RFD and make a decision to go in the same way we would looking at a normal flyer.

Regardless, the big guys really don't need any more money in their pocket during this time or any time and this seems like a way to start a wave of retailers silently collaborating together. Like everyone taking out PM and flyers would only benefit their bottom line.

The way this virus is turning companies is alarming.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1329 upvotes
Richmond
They are trying to minimize people coming out to make needless trips. If they have sales, people will come in droves. No sales, people will only buy what they need and not come out.

We RFDERs are experts at getting sales. We should have stocked up when it was on sale.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Are you serious? Be thankful that you can find what you need at regular prices. Calling this "price gouging" is ludicrous.
bluebellrose wrote: They are trying to minimize people coming out to make needless trips. If they have sales, people will come in droves. No sales, people will only buy what they need and not come out.
+1

Moreover,
1. They're trying to minimize human-to-human interactions in order to stop the spread of COVID-19.
2. What's the point offering stuff at sale prices when they're having trouble keeping those items in stock due to hoarding?
3. Is it better that they emulate other stores like grocery stores that have TP on sale, then frustrate the customers who try to buy it but can't find any stock?

Folks, we all have to make sacrifices to help combat this virus. The ones in this thread are minor if not trivial. The sacrifices we make on sales, points, PMing, etc. pale compared to the risks the front line staff at stores are taking to make sure we can get what we need in the first place. (And even that pales compared to the risks our first responders and health care workers are taking in doing their jobs.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
"In order to focus on being in stock with the products you want and need, we've suspended our flyer activity for the time being."

So the graphic designers who previously put together the flyer are now going to be moving pallets and stocking shelves? 10-4 Walmart, got it. :rolleyes: Seems like a pretty greasy move to me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
N8Magic wrote: So the graphic designers who previously put together the flyer are now going to be moving pallets and stocking shelves?
Those people may not even be WM employees, i.e. they work for independent graphic design firms, or even if they're WM employees they work at HQ, not individual stores.
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 26th, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed rude comment
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Capricornxs wrote: there's a Chinese story that's been trending in the past few years and it goes something like this:
There's a beggar that always comes my apartment building and everyday on my way to work I would bring food and tea for him. I do this for a whole year but for the Chinese New Years I leave with my family and visit my parents for a month. When I come back the beggar is furious with me and shouts and insults me saying "where have you been for the past month? I have been without breakfast and tea all this time! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

:rolleyes:
In other words peeps dont know good they've had it until shit hits the fan. Point blank. #fact
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
The supply chain distribution problem is real. It's not the suppliers of food, farmers, etc. it's the distribution network - exactly what the US director of farmers association said a week ago. No Frills advertised $9.98 30 rolls toilet on sale. All freakin week there was nothing show at majority TO/GTA stores. Then, last day of flyer (yesterday) they all show up last minute. Several hundred on multiple pallets at the local No Frills. The demand was actually low most likely becuz hoarders stocked up over the last weeks. Hoarding adds to the problem of slow restocking coupled with distribution issues.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: Those people may not even be WM employees, i.e. they work for independent graphic design firms, or even if they're WM employees they work at HQ, not individual stores.
You're missing the point, I was questioning how the production of a weekly flyer affects stock levels at stores. Answer: It doesn't.
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 26th, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: second quoted post was removed
Sep 26, 2011
450 posts
603 upvotes
This is likely because Walmart Canada has proven its distribution system to be dysfunctional, and they need to do whatever they can to play catchup on store stock shortages. You don't announce the need to hire 10000 more warehousing employees unless you're really desperate. When everybody started panic stockpiling groceries a week or so ago, I found Walmart's empty shelves the most alarming, far worse than Metro, Loblaw, and Sobeys. Grocery sections at all Walmart Superstores and regular stores in Kitchener were consistently more than 50% empty; aisle after aisle totally empty, way worse than Zehrs and Food Basics.
Anyone who thinks it's altruistic of Walmart to suspend flyers should also have stopped participating in the RFD forum weeks ago, and lobbied it to be temporarily shut down because ermagherd, it's causing people to come out and shop in public, which must be eliminated during coronapocalypse! [/s] :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
canaduh wrote: This is likely because Walmart Canada has proven its distribution system to be dysfunctional, and they need to do whatever they can to play catchup on store stock shortages. You don't announce the need to hire 10000 more warehousing employees unless you're really desperate. When everybody started panic stockpiling groceries a week or so ago, I found Walmart's empty shelves the most alarming, far worse than Metro, Loblaw, and Sobeys. Grocery sections at all Walmart Superstores and regular stores in Kitchener were consistently more than 50% empty; aisle after aisle totally empty, way worse than Zehrs and Food Basics.
Anyone who thinks it's altruistic of Walmart to suspend flyers should also have stopped participating in the RFD forum weeks ago, and lobbied it to be temporarily shut down because ermagherd, it's causing people to come out and shop in public, which must be eliminated during coronapocalypse! [/s] :rolleyes:
You make a good point here.

I mean, look at the Bridgeport Road Walmart. Many items are chronically out of stock even during normal times! Perhaps they don't want to advertise anything as they may not be able to deliver.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
I see a Walmart Flyer and no mention of price matching changes.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19242 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
It was bound to happen. I don't think this is so much about sanitizing the store (the place is too big to do a full clean) but more of the bottom line. Less customers means less need to stay open until 10pm. I don't doubt they'll use the extra time to wipe down cart handles and self checkout screens, BUT FRANKLY I want them to do that all day throughout the day!!! I appreciate how Costco wipes down every shopping car handle bar for each customer and cleans the self checkout screen periodically and often throughout the day. Walmart (at least my location) doesn't do any of that, so the end of the day cleaning is a laugh because by the end of the night any contaminated surfaces would have already spread possible infection to countless people who shopped throughout the day.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
I can understand no flyer but no price match? Unless every store goes flyerless, no price match means some will visit multiple stores to score deals increasing exposure time.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
peli33 wrote: I can understand no flyer but no price match? Unless every store goes flyerless, no price match means some will visit multiple stores to score deals increasing exposure time.
I wonder if that has something to do with cashiers needing to get close enough to see the details of the pm i.e. from an app on cellphone or having to handle a paper flyer?

I noticed at Costco the other day, the people who check receipts at the door are asking customers to just hold the receipt with both hands so they could mark it with their sharpie.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I wonder if that has something to do with cashiers needing to get close enough to see the details of the pm i.e. from an app on cellphone or having to handle a paper flyer?

I noticed at Costco the other day, the people who check receipts at the door are asking customers to just hold the receipt with both hands so they could mark it with their sharpie.
Could be, at my RCSS plastic separators were installed to shield cashiers so distance is not really an issue. Simply had to show my phone from behind and all was good.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Can someone check if Walmart is still accepting coupons? God forbid the cashier gets close enuf to the customer to take the coupon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)