Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Tilda Pure Original Basmati Rice 10 lbs $10.97

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 9:41 am
Sr. Member
Sep 17, 2002
999 posts
432 upvotes
My dad is diabetic, so in his case, he now eats quinoa instead of rice and noticed an improvement.

Like rice, quinoa varies alot and it will a some trial and error before you find one you like....

Not sure about GI load with quinoa but Dr have been encouraging eating quinoa instead of rice.

In some cases, he eats a mixture of quinoa/rice (usually 80/20) and enjoys it.

From the link, Calrose is more of a sticky rice...is sushi.

Either way, she shouldn't be eating too much rice if she's borderline diabetic.
StealthFinder wrote: For the benefit of all, can you explain the point you are trying to make in context of Calrose rice. The link you provided has no mention of Calrose at all.
My wife is borderline diabetic and she has to be careful with rice. We are trying to find rice which has a low GI and GI load. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6305 posts
2176 upvotes
Montreal
iwells wrote: My dad is diabetic, so in his case, he now eats quinoa instead of rice and noticed an improvement.

Like rice, quinoa varies alot and it will a some trial and error before you find one you like....

Not sure about GI load with quinoa but Dr have been encouraging eating quinoa instead of rice.

In some cases, he eats a mixture of quinoa/rice (usually 80/20) and enjoys it.

From the link, Calrose is more of a sticky rice...is sushi.

Either way, she shouldn't be eating too much rice if she's borderline diabetic.
Basmati Rice has a lower GI than most rices.
Quinoa has a GI of 53 while Basmati is around 58, so I don't think it would make a big impact on his blood sugar?
Sr. Member
Sep 17, 2002
999 posts
432 upvotes
few google searches comes back as lower GI rices are black, red and wild...
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5017 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto
iwells wrote: i've started doing it on the instant pot - pretty simple and easy

for plain white rice

same as @creativerbl wash rice gently multiple times until water runs clear...avoid rubbing the rice so it doesn't break

we soak for a minimum of 30min but heard 1 or hours is better, to be honest, 15min and I couldn't tell the difference that much

Optional : toast rice if you want before adding water....just be careful to turn off "Saute" and let pot cool down before pressure cooking....otherwise risk of getting "burn" error

1:1 ratio or water and rice and set it for 3 minutes...sometimes 4 and once complete release after 10min. If too rice is too moist use saute to dry it out a bit or next time increase time 1 min. Next time add bit more water and see what you prefer.

For seasoned rice...

toast your spices, onions. garlic with a combo of butter and/or oil using saute function, same as above avoid burning the seasoning too long and having pot too hot

Follow above steps for white rice

Either way comes out pretty good.
So soaking the rice is essential right? Because when i do in instant pot, it comes out ok but a bit dry..

Do you do directly in main pot? Have you tried in a pot inside the main pot?
Sr. Member
Sep 17, 2002
999 posts
432 upvotes
Yes, I do mine in the main pot. Less things to clean... try adding a bit more water ... eg <1/4 cup...

Do you saute the rice or seasoning before adding the water or stock? If so, add a bit more water or stock, eg <1/4 cup. Since the pot is already hot, there will be some evaporation so adding a little extra will compensate for that.

It's all trial and error IMO and your personal preference of dryness. I've done 10-12min on low and other times 4min on high...

And don't be afraid of screwing up....i've gotten the "burn" error many times but retrace your steps and you'll be figure it out why. Also, if you catch it in time you can salvage it.

Never tried doing a double pot with rice...something to try i guess....but then I gotta clean another pot....LOL
fightbriz wrote: So soaking the rice is essential right? Because when i do in instant pot, it comes out ok but a bit dry..

Do you do directly in main pot? Have you tried in a pot inside the main pot?
Newbie
Oct 8, 2012
15 posts
3 upvotes
CALGARY
Not a very good deal. Setting aside the quality of one brand vs other. 1lb for 1$ or lower has been pretty standard for basmati rice in calgary.
I picked up 8lbs for 7.48$ at super store yesterday, and i have been able to find similar deals at SS almost all the time.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200527-105107.jpg
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5017 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto
iwells wrote: Yes, I do mine in the main pot. Less things to clean... try adding a bit more water ... eg <1/4 cup...

Do you saute the rice or seasoning before adding the water or stock? If so, add a bit more water or stock, eg <1/4 cup. Since the pot is already hot, there will be some evaporation so adding a little extra will compensate for that.

It's all trial and error IMO and your personal preference of dryness. I've done 10-12min on low and other times 4min on high...

And don't be afraid of screwing up....i've gotten the "burn" error many times but retrace your steps and you'll be figure it out why. Also, if you catch it in time you can salvage it.

Never tried doing a double pot with rice...something to try i guess....but then I gotta clean another pot....LOL
Oh i didn't soak, i think that's why. How long should i soak?
Sr. Member
Sep 17, 2002
999 posts
432 upvotes
Just did some today...washed until water was clear and then soaked for 15min but was a little "dry" according to my wife but tasty... I thought it was fine.

I've read up to 4 hrs soaking but never tried it myself.
Sr. Member
Jul 12, 2005
548 posts
256 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: I can eat the calrose rice with everything, so I guess I would eat a hot dog bun in a sliced bread.
Does that make you feel better?
Can you tell me which wine is best? I can't remember if it's red or white that is the good one.
Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2009
398 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
NFN_NLN wrote: One is indica the other is japonica. It's like rolling a hotdog in a piece of sliced bread or making peanut butter toast with hot dog buns... learn your rices and use more than one.

https://www.majordifferences.com/2013/1 ... a.html?m=1
Thanks for pointing this out.

Do you want your rice creamy for a risotto/pudding, separated and fluffy to hold a light sauce, stout to hold a thick sauce, or sticky for something like sushi? Whatever you want, there is an appropriate rice variety you should be using.
Last edited by anatman on May 29th, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2013
610 posts
524 upvotes
prairies
Stocktrack showing $16.77 across Winnipeg.

Top