[Walmart] Tilda Pure Original Basmati Rice 10 lbs $10.97

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 9:41 am
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1374 posts
1613 upvotes
Scarborough
iwells wrote: Just did some today...washed until water was clear and then soaked for 15min but was a little "dry" according to my wife but tasty... I thought it was fine.

I've read up to 4 hrs soaking but never tried it myself.
I've never heard of soaking all the way to 4 hours. 30 minutes is most common standard. That's how long I soak it for after rinsing the water clear. Then drain all of the water and add 1.5 times water to the amount of rice or about an inch above the surface of the rice in the pot. Cook on high heat til boil, stirring gently a couple of times.

You can add maybe a tablespoon of either oil or butter to the rice to prevent sticking or lumpiness, though with good quality basmati rice; not really needed. After boil has come, turn the heat down to simmer and put the lid on the pot tightly. Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes with the lid on, check it; then turn the heat all the way to high for maybe 10 seconds and turn the heat off. Leave the pot covered for another 7 minutes. Then take off the lid and gently stir the rice using only a fork as other utensils will break down the rice.
Oct 28, 2005
459 posts
231 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: off topic, but I recently changed from basmati/jasmine to calrose rice, and wish I have done it way sooner in my life.
Calrose rice is EFFING delicious.
Basmati is better for you. Less starch, and has a lower glycemic index value than calrose rice (foods that have low glycemic index values increase glucose in the blood slowly, while foods with high glycemic index values release glucose rapidly).
In general, rice is considered to be fairly high on the glycemic index. However, according to an April 2015 report in the journal Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, different types of rice can have different glycemic index values.
For example, Harvard Health Publishing's glycemic index food chart states that boiled white rice tends to have a high glycemic index value of 73. Brown rice has a medium glycemic index value of 68.
However, the report in the journal Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition reported that the glycemic index of basmati rice ranges between 50 and 58. This means that basmati rice is a low or medium glycemic index food product.
The glycemic index of basmati rice makes it a very healthy carbohydrate choice. However, don't assume that all rice is comparable to basmati rice. Rice products can differ from one another substantially.

Source: https://www.livestrong.com/article/2907 ... mati-rice/
Last edited by tivo_box on Jun 4th, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 12, 2014
27 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tilda may be the most famous but certainly not the best basmati rice available. Basmati rice brands with better taste, aroma, texture, grain size etc are, Kaalar Basmati rice, Falak Basmati rice, Mughal Basmati rice.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2187 posts
1082 upvotes
Mississauga
Sonyguy753 wrote: Tilda may be the most famous but certainly not the best basmati rice available. Basmati rice brands with better taste, aroma, texture, grain size etc are, Kaalar Basmati rice, Falak Basmati rice, Mughal Basmati rice.
Tbh best basmati rice varieties are not even cultivated or sold on commercial scale since the yield is low.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6308 posts
2176 upvotes
Montreal
tivo_box wrote: Basmati is better for you. Less starch, and has a lower glycemic index value than calrose rice (foods that have low glycemic index values increase glucose in the blood slowly, while foods with high glycemic index values release glucose rapidly).
Glycemic index doesn't matter unless you are diabetic.