Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Toastmaster 2.5L Air Fryer - $39

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 4:33 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3324 posts
2275 upvotes
Langley
LNahid2000 wrote: I still don't understand the point of air fryers when I have an oven and a deep fryer.
Umm. I don't think you're the companies target market... But, air fryers are less messy and less waste than a deep fryer. ie. if you just want a side of fries, it's a lot easier to air fry than to deep fry.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7909 posts
3519 upvotes
jellytime wrote: if you just want a side of fries, it's a lot easier to air fry than to deep fry.
Not really. I live alone so I have a tiny 1L deep fryer that I got on amazon for $25 for this purpose.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2561 posts
563 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: It's basically a turbo charged convection oven.
They (in general, not this one that's comically small) are better than an actual convection oven but are in no way an equal to a deep fryer.

NOTHING I've ever cooked in an air fryer has even remotely resembled anything that comes out of a deep fryer.
I find adding a bit of oil to the food helps make it crispier.
Jun 27, 2007
448 posts
411 upvotes
Ridinginoffice7 wrote: I’ve never used an Air Fryer before, want to know What can we cook in this?
I was skeptical of air fryers before I grabbed one on the cheap and man I love it. Restaurant-quality crispness with many foods without the hassle and mess.

The best results are with items that already have an oily coating (battered fish) or natural fat (chicken wings). Pop some uncoated wings in there for 15 minutes, toss them in whatever sauce you fancy and they're just as good as any wings you'll get at a restaurant.

I have this https: https://www.cuisinart.ca/AFR-25C.html?l ... en&start=1 Picked it up from Walmart for $60 earlier in the year.
Last edited by turbine on Jul 28th, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
2018 posts
3992 upvotes
I bought this for $99 a month ago when it was on sale.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... y/13613463
I love it! I have air fried fries, wings, chicken breasts, bacon, mixed veggies, chicken nuggets, meatballs, fish sticks, baked potato.... sweet lord those were good.

Try this... get a potato, use an apple core remover, take out the middle, cut off ends of potato core, stuff inside with bacon bits, onions and butter then cap the ends with the cut off core pieces. Best stuffed potato ever!!
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Aug 18, 2016
279 posts
346 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: I still don't understand the point of air fryers when I have an oven and a deep fryer.
Let’s see, your not cooking in vat of grease, still not healthy, but definitely healthier than deep fryer, no mess, doesn’t have stinky grease smell in house after use. I bring mine camping and cooks fries and such fast and easy. Did I mention not dripping in greaseWinking Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
Stunt_101 wrote:
I find adding a bit of oil to the food helps make it crispier.
Still doesn't help enough to call this a "fryer" by any means.

turbine wrote: The best results are with items that already have an oily coating (battered fish)
Par fried foods do fine in any oven.
Pop some uncoated wings in there for 15 minutes, toss them in whatever sauce you fancy and they're just as good as any wings you'll get at a restaurant.
I've tried this with very little success.
More prep (drying the skin via fridge) helps, but still doesn't produce that great of results.
Plus this requires a whole lot more work.
Just tossing raw wings without any sort of prep makes awful wings, identical to restaurant wings that are also cooked in an oven.
Susanclark wrote: Let’s see, your not cooking in vat of grease,
I don't see that as a down side.
but definitely healthier than deep fryer
I would still argue some of this.
Anything par fried that you're reheating is definitely not healthier in any regard because it's already deep fried. You're just reheating it.
Cooking from fresh I would still argue because a proper temperature deep fryer with proper cooking techniques means that oil stays out.
no mess
TBH I'd rather clean a deep fryer. Everything is dishwasher safe (well good ones) whereas the interior of an oven is typically a disaster. I have grease permanently trapped in places I can't reach.
doesn’t have stinky grease smell in house after use.
This is about the only one I'd give you and even then is only really bad if you get the oil get really dirty.
This can easily be fixed by putting the deep fryer on the patio or garage.
But the air oven isn't devoid of smells either. I've had mine stink up my place too.
Plus the wall behind my oven is covered in grease.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7909 posts
3519 upvotes
Susanclark wrote: Let’s see, your not cooking in vat of grease, still not healthy, but definitely healthier than deep fryer, no mess, doesn’t have stinky grease smell in house after use. I bring mine camping and cooks fries and such fast and easy. Did I mention not dripping in greaseWinking Face
If you fry food properly, it shouldn't be dripping in grease. Also, see all of @death_hawk's points above.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2019
1171 posts
1160 upvotes
This is a decent deal for anyone wanting to dip their toe (some pun intended) into air frying without a huge outlay. Air fryers can get very expensive. T-Fal came out with the ActiFry quite a few years ago and it sounded like a good idea at the time and now it's really caught on with everyone and their dog selling an air fryer. Air fryers definitely will not completely replace deep fryers, but is the "healthier" alternative since the food isn't immersed and cooked in oil. It's not the lack of oil that's the selling point, but less of it but the same great taste as food from an actual deep fryer.

@hawk--eye made some very good points about deep frying and there's certainly a place and purpose for it. Saying they're one and the same is a bit of a stretch, really. They serve a specific purpose. To some, the close analogue to deep frying is good enough while others won't settle for anything but the real thing. Different strokes for different folks. Someone also said that an air fryer is basically a supercharged convection oven illustrates the point. Is there a point in having another appliance take over valuable counter space if you have a convection oven already? Frying at a proper oil temperature is key to delicious, but not overly drippy greasy food. When the oil is not hot enough, the food soaks up the oil like a sponge.

There are also other online conversations about the Philips air fryer, about how an accessory that helps with cleaning and keeping the fryer clean is an extra purchase you don't get with the machine. As a result, there are permanent drips and drabs of oil on the counter that is now a permanent effect because of the missing accessory that oil is allowed to seep through and accumulate in a certain crevice that just builds up. Over time, that oil will start leaking out slowly in drips and drabs. People have said that now every time they move the air fryer, there would be a small pool of oil underneath the fryer. Something to keep in mind when buying an air fryer, that there will be places you can't reach or clean that will become permanently dirty.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Jun 3, 2020
12 posts
15 upvotes
Got one today at STC, wish me luck...

Update: I made air fried samosas with it, and I think for $40 its a pretty nice gadget. It could cook 5-6 samosas per batch which is basically what I could do with a pan of oil but way less fat
Also made kale chips but I don't like kale so that doesn't say much
Images
  • 20200801_144820.jpg
Last edited by DrewY554 on Aug 1st, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2083 posts
5338 upvotes
Vancouver
Will this make me a better public speaker?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
LesDeals wrote: same great taste as food from an actual deep fryer
That's the thing. It's not even remotely close. Nothing I've cooked in an air fryer has ever resembled anything I've cooked in a deep fryer. I've challenged anyone to produce literally any recipe for anything and no one has met that challenge.

Reheating already fried foods it's okay at (despite the unevenness) but that negates the "health" claims of an air fryer being superior health wise.
Someone also said that an air fryer is basically a supercharged convection oven illustrates the point. Is there a point in having another appliance take over valuable counter space if you have a convection oven already?
Most convection ovens aren't forceful enough to really match the countertop convection ovens.
Surprisingly even on convection mode, my air oven is about 30% faster in cooking and 100% faster at preheating than my full sized oven.
So it definitely has a place, just not as a deep fryer. It sits along side my deep fryer.
People have said that now every time they move the air fryer, there would be a small pool of oil underneath the fryer. Something to keep in mind when buying an air fryer, that there will be places you can't reach or clean that will become permanently dirty.
I put a half sheet pan under my Cuisinart because the thing is like a sieve.
That's the ironic part. My deep fryer is FAR easier to clean because it's literally dump oil into a bucket and toss most of it in the dishwasher.
Everything comes out spotlessly clean. My air fryer is gonna permanently have grease inside of it because I can't disassemble it well enough to get it all. So now it lives on a sheet pan.

My Philips was also a pain to clean. Gunk would get built up on the outer pan and the grill grate. Even though both of these are dishwasher safe, it was baked in so you had to scrub it out by hand. The finish wore off and made it worse. The grill grate too likes "eating" whatever you use to clean it so you get bits of paper towel/cloth/brush bristles/steel wool/scrubbie pads in the mesh that you have to pick out.
Cleaning it was the primary reason I abandoned it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
How do you cleaninthe non-removable elements of the air fryer, such as the inner sides of the upper shell and the heating coil which gather up all of the oil and food residues?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
shyhermit wrote: How do you cleaninthe non-removable elements of the air fryer, such as the inner sides of the upper shell and the heating coil which gather up all of the oil and food residues?
You don't.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
1060 posts
1041 upvotes
Norilsk
death_hawk wrote: That's the thing. It's not even remotely close. Nothing I've cooked in an air fryer has ever resembled anything I've cooked in a deep fryer. I've challenged anyone to produce literally any recipe for anything and no one has met that challenge.
Thanks, saw this and grabbed the $19 clearance deep fryer instead.

That would be this one that is either $19, $29, $39 from original $55 price .

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=65577201737

Not starting a thread about it though as only a handful of stores have it at $19 in weird places like the Billings Bridge store I found it at (there are a few more but none in Hull on St Joseph) and I see Shawinigan and Lethbridge and Coquitlam and Yorkton Saskatchewan . . . but most places its $29. Anyways, for $19 we shall see.
If I robbed the place I would be out by now....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
fiscal-rick wrote: Thanks, saw this and grabbed the $19 clearance deep fryer instead.
To be fair... buying a good deep fryer is a whole other challenge in itself.
The retail landscape is littered with stupid fryers.

About yours specifically, it's only a 2L so that means you're not going to be able to cook much food in it at a time. If you overload it, the temperature will drop and you'll end up with greasy food.

I'm hoping you'll be happy with yours, but based on the capacity alone, I'm not sure you will be.
Typically I recommend a 10L fryer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7909 posts
3519 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: To be fair... buying a good deep fryer is a whole other challenge in itself.
The retail landscape is littered with stupid fryers.

About yours specifically, it's only a 2L so that means you're not going to be able to cook much food in it at a time. If you overload it, the temperature will drop and you'll end up with greasy food.

I'm hoping you'll be happy with yours, but based on the capacity alone, I'm not sure you will be.
I live alone and use a 1L deep fryer. It's perfect for 3 pieces of chicken (which is all I'll usually eat at one time), and my chicken always comes out perfect.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: I live alone and use a 1L deep fryer. It's perfect for 3 pieces of chicken (which is all I'll usually eat at one time), and my chicken always comes out perfect.
WTF? 1L?
Can you give me a link or a model number?

Also I fry 6 pieces in a Butterball Turkey Fryer and I sometimes think that isn't enough oil.
I can't find the capacity offhand, but it's HUGE. I can damn near fit a whole retail fryer inside the pot.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
1060 posts
1041 upvotes
Norilsk
death_hawk wrote: About yours specifically, it's only a 2L so that means you're not going to be able to cook much food in it at a time. If you overload it, the temperature will drop and you'll end up with greasy food.

Already filled it with peanut oil and made lovely Karagee and fried milk.
But, thanks, I will keep your recommendation in mind if I ever feel I need advice on deep frying.
This one is perfect size.
If I robbed the place I would be out by now....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14883 upvotes
fiscal-rick wrote: Already filled it with peanut oil and made lovely Karagee and fried milk.
But, thanks, I will keep your recommendation in mind if I ever feel I need advice on deep frying.
This one is perfect size.
Despite sounding sarcastic it isn't. I truly hope you're happy with it.
$20 is a good deal any day of the week.