Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes

Instacart 170 G. Tuna, ~$0.65 (37 cans=$23.82) YMMV

Savings:
33%+
Retailer:
Walmart, Toronto
Signed up for instacart home delivery recently.
They added a one week $15 promo credit that was going to expire tonight. I thought I should use it like a true RFD'er. They may give you this credit they may not. Call them or msg. them and ask after you sign up. YMMV.
They appear to be slowing down in the GTA after Covid19 hysteria hit stores this year (probably still very busy in the USA) and new competitors like Uber are entering Ontario, etc. Normally if a friend refers you, you get $10 and your friend gets $10, etc.

Found Cloverleaf 170 gram canned tuna on app for $0.97 at Walmart and signed up for free 2-week trial for free delivery on instacart app. They charge something like $99 a year, which is a good deal if you are busy and don't want to go in person (or sometimes have to line up outside) to Walmart, Costco, Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws and related brand stores, Eatly, etc. (store availability depends on where you live).

I ordered 37 cans at .97 to get over $35 min order for free delivery (on sale for fifty cents off) at 4:35 pm and the driver brought it to me at 7 pm, just in time to make dinner :)

Btw, I only needed to use one can for KD Tuna pasta (kraft dinner package bought on sale at RCSS for less than $0.20 on clearance a few months ago) night and the other 36 are for future use.

Total Price including five percent tip for 37 cans $23.82 delivered, which works out to less than $0.65 per can. YMMV.

Cheaper than Amazon which is selling a 6 pack for $1.47 per can, etc. YMMV.

Bon appetit Slightly Smiling Face
IMG_20200808_190330.jpg
Screenshot_20200808_185714_com.instacart.client.jpg
Images
  • Screenshot_20200808_185416_com.instacart.client.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200808_201328_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2795 posts
4445 upvotes
This must be a an attempt to attract new business. Generally, in Toronto, it does not make sense to order through Instacart to get groceries from Walmart because Walmart will sell to the consumer directlly for delivery orders.
Public Mobile client: $50 calls/texts/10.5GB
Aug 6, 2012
121 posts
39 upvotes
TORONTO
Gotta really like the taste of pus...fish.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16684 posts
4831 upvotes
Scarberia
damn, i hate tuna lol..good protein when i was working out alot! is there chicken or ham/turkey instead..id buy those!
i also have amex offer of 20 off 80!

Edit... Damn my amex offer expired july31
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote:
This must be a an attempt to attract new business. Generally, in Toronto, it does not make sense to order through Instacart to get groceries from Walmart because Walmart will sell to the consumer directlly for delivery orders.
Have you used Walmart delivery in Toronto? They just lowered it to $7.99 per order, which may be worthwhile on a multi-item purchase.

I prefer to shop in person, but because of Covid related 'shopper restrictions' at Walmart/ Costco/ Loblaws, the lineups to get in are still crazy at times. If you want the best price and you have the time, definitely go in person... I have a Costco and Amazon Prime membership and I gave up my Loblaws membership as I don't need the travel voucher and I don't buy diapers Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I use Lyft, Uber branded services, Doordash, etc. I guess I fall into their demographic.

I understand Instacart is a billion dollar market cap outfit like the retailers they are working with (Walmart, Costco, SDM/ Loblaws, etc.) and they know it costs money to attract/ acquire and keep customers.

If they can save me significant time and/ or money I am interested Slightly Smiling Face There are several competitors, so they will have to keep up, especially given the tier one brands they are working with. This is good for consumers, especially who want merchandise from Costco/ Walmart/ etc.

I like a good deal. I talked to a few people I know and they get decent promo offers from instacart from time to time, so I thought I'd try it out.

Good for those who don't have Costco memberships too and/ or don't want to deal with going into the warehouse looking for a few items and ending up with more than they planned for. It boils down to how much is your time worth. There may or may not be a $ only cost savings, depending on what you buy. I saved $12 today and at least an hour of my time.

They got some media coverage recently from CTV: https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada ... 48152.html
Nov 4, 2007
253 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on where you are in the GTA, they've recently expanded the delivery zones for Walmart Grocery. Furthermore, it used to be around $10 delivery fee, min 50$ order. But as of this week, they've dropped it to $8 for the delivery fee.

It's worth it if you buy for the whole week, and don't want to deal with the people, lineup at your location.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: damn, i hate tuna lol..good protein when i was working out alot! is there chicken or ham/turkey instead..id buy those!
i also have amex offer of 20 off 80!

Edit... Damn my amex offer expired july31
If you have a instacart account or one with any service provider, ask them what are the current promos, etc. Maybe they can help you out with your amex voucher or maybe not. Never hurts to ask.

I plan to order Costco whole chicken during the upcoming week (with some other deals to meet $35 min. order threshold) for under $10 as I it is cheaper and better imho than Swiss Chalet these days.

I just checked and instacart app and they have Maple Leaf chicken wings just like the ones in the Walmart flyer for $4.77, see attached screen grab.

Didn't see any deals for canned chicken. They have some Walmart soups for $0.67 :)

I have tuna 2x week with KD mac and Cheese Wedge just like when I was younger.
Screenshot_20200808_221622_com.instacart.client.jpg
using my instant pot, spices, etc.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200808_223608_com.instacart.client.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16684 posts
4831 upvotes
Scarberia
7.47$ price for deli xpress chicken wings.. Im in Scarborough
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Sep 2, 2016
798 posts
480 upvotes
Keep in mind this is for light tuna and usually skipjack instead of albacore
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2392 posts
588 upvotes
$99 a year?
well walmart has free curbside pickup
and does deliveries for $10
i guess if you order food delivery at least once a month and you're 2 busy to go pick it up yourself like most people do you may consider it...

myself i do pickups every 2 weeks or so and do delivery maybe every 3-4 months where i order a big bunch of things so i dont have to carry everything myself :) so still cheaper to pay the $10 each time...

but where i see that it may have a benefit is if they pick up from costco and you save $ on the membership / lineups !
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16684 posts
4831 upvotes
Scarberia
i did an order and i got a walmart paper roll recipt along in on of the grocery bags, i wonder if i can do returns with that recipt at walmart do i have to return items via instacart>?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2795 posts
4445 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: i did an order and i got a walmart paper roll recipt along in on of the grocery bags, i wonder if i can do returns with that recipt at walmart do i have to return items via instacart>?
through Instcart

When you purchase through Instacart, you're not Walmart's customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2795 posts
4445 upvotes
iMarketing wrote: Have you used Walmart delivery in Toronto? They just lowered it to $7.99 per order, which may be worthwhile on a multi-item purchase.

@will888 @beachlover

Have I ever ordered direclty from Walmart?

The point I'm trying to make is unless there's a special Instacart promotion or if Instacart is being given some type of special discount by Walmart, how can it possibly be to the customer's advantage to order from Instacart? For the most part, Instacart buys at Walmart's prices, adds a mark up, and then charges the customer. How is that going to cost less than ordering from Walmart directly?
Dec 13, 2014
226 posts
735 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Yes OP I am sure the driver appreciated your ~$1 tip...
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3534 posts
2161 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote: @will888 @beachlover

Ha ha ha. I can absolutely say computergeek541 is leading the pack, when it comes to getting the most out of direct Walmart ordering. They set me onto it, and now I do an order every week. They even put me to shame comparitively. I have seen the screenshots.
Dec 25, 2010
18 posts
13 upvotes
RDodds wrote: Yes OP I am sure the driver appreciated your ~$1 tip...
Actually, it doesn’t go to the driver. Tip is separate from the service fee on this app
Aug 25, 2008
697 posts
512 upvotes
I started using Instacart in March when Covid hit and picked up Instacart Express in April when I knew Covid was going to be around for the long haul. Probably use it 6 or 7 times a month for Walmart, Costco, Loblaws. Until there are no lines for the "privilege" of shopping at a grocery stores, I'm happy using Instacart. Given how many people lost work, I'm also OK spending more to help out the gig economy a bit.
---------------------
Koodo $39 / 13 gb
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280
[OP]
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes

The point I'm trying to make is unless there's a special Instacart promotion or if Instacart is being given some type of special discount by Walmart, how can it possibly be to the customer's advantage to order from Instacart? For the most part, Instacart buys at Walmart's prices, adds a mark up, and then charges the customer. How is that going to cost less than ordering from Walmart directly?
1. Thanks for your comments everyone. The home delivery game is evolving. I remember when there was only grocery gateway in Toronto, years ago :)

2. If instacart can deliver value (saving time and money) then you will come out on top.
Instacart is one of the leaders in this service and as long as they work with market leaders like Walmart, Costco, RCSS, SDM, etc., there will be a value proposition for a segment of consumers who need their service. If I can get a deal a month or more like the one above I will break even on the $100 annual delivery fee or do better than the fees I pay them, as my time is valuable :) If you have the time it will always be cheaper to go in person, buy direct, etc.

Btw, I tipped 5% on the order above. Service is their separate charge of a dollar. I usually tip in cash depending on how long the driver takes. I was just sharing a recent deal. I am not their spokesman.

If anyone has any questions for instacart ( or any of the delivery services), contact them directly to see what they can do for you as the covid crisis in Toronto (versus Florida) has hopefully passed and competition should heat up...

Yesterday I got some merchandise from Costco at good prices. Works for me :)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
22066 posts
10651 upvotes
Toronto

You order from Walmart about once a week.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii