[Walmart] Tp-link Archer C7 - $58 Linksys EA8500 - $118 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 8:13 am
[OP]
Jan 19, 2007
676 posts
250 upvotes

[Walmart] Tp-link Archer C7 - $58 Linksys EA8500 - $118 YMMV

Walmart has the Archer C7 on clearance for $58 in the Hamilton area. The website shows the stores are out of stock, but the online stock check is inaccurate and showed $58 the other day. They have both hardware versions 2 and 4 (two different style boxes). Ancaster and Upper James both had one version 2 left as of yesterday.

Edit: Also spotted the DIR-868L, and WRT3200ACM for $158.

Also, I happened to find an EA8500 for $118 on clearance as well.

Both are YMMV and the EA8500 isn't listed on the Walmart website anymore other than from 3rd party sellers. Both also support DDWRT.

Archer C7:
Link

Linksys EA8500:
Link
Last edited by kronos288 on Jul 15th, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Nov 16, 2015
98 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slightly off topic.

if you have rogers's gigabit with the "white modem/router" why get a separate router unless you have coverage issues?
Feb 15, 2009
621 posts
100 upvotes
Winnipeg
Which version is better?
[OP]
Jan 19, 2007
676 posts
250 upvotes
Andyc416 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:06 am
slightly off topic.

if you have rogers's gigabit with the "white modem/router" why get a separate router unless you have coverage issues?
If you run bandwidth tests and achieve the speed you're supposed to get at a range from the router that you're satisfied with it might not be worth it. However, in my experience, there are two reasons. One is being able to easily upgrade the router over time and to have full control or customization. Two, updates. Keeping your router up to date and secure is generally not a top priority of ISPs. I could go on and on but those are the main reasons.
tatung wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:11 am
Which version is better?
I previously had the version 2 that had issues with DDWRT on 5 gHz that no longer seem to exist with version 4, but, I suspect my version 2 was a lemon.

If you're going to stick with stock firmware I would maybe go with version 4 (if you can find it), otherwise if you're putting DDWRT on it I would say version 2 has been tested and proven.
Nov 7, 2017
224 posts
143 upvotes
Andyc416 wrote:
slightly off topic.

For example white modem is not giving me enough in-house signal for streaming 4k movies using plex server. Desktop PC is on the second floor, while TV and router are at the main floor
Feb 22, 2017
129 posts
118 upvotes
Kitchener
Andyc416 wrote:
slightly off topic.

That router is decent on paper, but in practice it's a mess. The software is buggy and it's a closed system so we can't see, but it's easy to infer that the operating system is not well optimized.

For optimum performance, you want dedicated appliances. My network is: [CODA in Modem mode] -> [pfSense Router] -> [Switch] -> [R7800 in Access Point Mode]

Yes, that router has "four cores!!!oneoneeleven" but actually managing all load means that those CPUs are context switching lots. That router also does no real QoS, so it's easy to get bufferbloat. Even in modem mode, the modem (router) struggles to shove packets properly and timely.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2007
676 posts
250 upvotes
bobitto wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:25 am
For example white modem is not giving me enough in-house signal for streaming 4k movies using plex server. Desktop PC is on the second floor, while TV and router are at the main floor
As daveinsurgent mentioned, 99% modem/routers from ISPs are terrible and have been terrible historically. If you're streaming 4k movies using plex I would definitely not rely on the modem/router from Rogers. Also not sure what you're using to receive the 4K streams, but a wireless AC adapter that has multiple antennas would help.
Nov 16, 2015
98 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thanks for all the input.

i have a smaller house so coverage is not an issue.

no 4k devices in the house (yet) so everything streams at 720 or 1080
Nov 7, 2017
224 posts
143 upvotes
White modem is enough for my house in case of 1080p, so you should be good
Jan 15, 2010
314 posts
104 upvotes
Andyc416 wrote:
slightly off topic.

normally the modem is placed in basement. It is necessary to have a good WiFi router running in AP mode on second floor, for coverage purpose.

Router is not necessarily operating at the boundary (gateway) of home network.
Nov 14, 2013
805 posts
227 upvotes
Moncton
Andyc416 wrote:
slightly off topic.

The hardware rogers and bell uses is horrible, one example is the horrible amount of jitter you get. People tend to think that speed is very important for gaming, its really the latency that matters since you arent transferring large amounts of data to game. When you have lots of jitter the latency is all over the place and makes for a crappy experience, a good dedicated router is much better. Ive also noticed sometimes websites just don't load properly or randomly speeds with just drop for a few seconds thanks to the buggy router software bell and rogers use.
Jul 3, 2018
3 posts
I recently bought this router on this clearance. I am a basic user. I game on ps4 stream 4k apple tv. I bought this router because my modem is in the basement and my house is 3 floors. Now I can play fortnite on my switch with no lag issues. my speeds are about 240 down 220 up on average with wifi.
Oct 26, 2008
166 posts
95 upvotes
Whitby
Andyc416 wrote:
slightly off topic.

The rogers/bell/other modems are almost all terrible for wifi coverage. MANY/MOST people gain from a separate router for better WIFI coverage in my experience.

A mesh network is even better! - I prefer Google Mesh.

[-=SrZ=-]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2190 posts
261 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Do the clearance prices apply to other locations?
Mar 6, 2011
21 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
One TP-Link Archer C7 left at the heartland Walmart for $58

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 4 guests)

User938766, 02xtreme12, EthanMcL, 4gothow2playwc3, bgrewal87, kronos288