Shopping Discussion

Walmart Unscrupulous Sales Tactic - Stuck with Credit Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 8:44 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes

Walmart Unscrupulous Sales Tactic - Stuck with Credit Card?

So some of you will be wise in retrospect, but please, bear with me.

So a few days ago I was buying some discount Lego from my local Walmart, and normally I always go through the self-checkout because I don't like talking to people, but this time I went through the Cashier because I wanted to exit through the upper floor exit, and there was only a cash till available at the time.
The Cashier asks me if I have a Walmart Card and I say no. I do not want one. And now I don't remember the exchange fully, but it goes something like this, where I think he mentions that it is just a rewards card. I say to the cashier, "I don't want a Credit Card, but if you have a Rewards Card, then I guess that is okay". And I told the Cashier multiple times, "I don't want a Credit Card. You're telling me that this is only rewards card, right?" He punches it into the machine. I'm still a little confused, but I go with it, because I'm a nice person and don't like to cause trouble. By the end of it, he hands me a reciept and says I'll get mailed the card in a few days. I stand there after the checkout just checking the receipt to see if it mentions anything about a credit card or a rewards card, and it doesn't say anything. I start researching it on my phone. Eventually, I muster up enough courage to talk to the cashier again, "So this is just a rewards card right, and Not a credit card?" and he affirms me yes.

So a few days later (today) I get a card in the mail. I open the package and low and behold it says MASTERCARD.
The cashier probably made up something for my profession and my income level, because he NEVER asked me these, which would've alerted me to the fact that it was a credit card. I did more research and it seems that the rewards card is only a US thing, but it seems that they were both credit cards anyways, and the canadian one is a credit card too. Right now I'm pissed, because I asked the Cashier multiple times to affirm that it wasn't a credit card, and he assured me it was not.

Now I'm sitting here thinking that Walmart has done a credit check on me (lowering my credit score once again) and now I'm holding onto one of the most poorly rated credit cards.
I want to cancel this right away even before activating, but I thought I should reach out to this forum here to see if anyone has some advice for me.

I also want to make a complaint, but I don't know if it's worth even going into the store for. I think I'm supposed to go through the better business bureau, but I'm still fuming about it right now. I know now that Walmart doesn't have a rewards only card (like how shoppers has an optimum).

Any wise words?

(Yes I know now not to commit to anything without reading a schedule of the rates/limits) but at the time I didn't realize they could even sign you up for a credit card WITHOUT you having to fill out a form with your income level and everything.

TLDR:
  • Cashier convinced me Walmart had a rewards card (not credit card) to make a sale.
  • Didn't realize until credit card showed up in mail
  • Probably has already made a dent in my credit rating.
  • Research tells me it's not a very good card/customer service.
  • Want to cancel it before even activating - should I?
  • Want to make a complaint - in store? better business bureau?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1318 posts
316 upvotes
Walmart doesn’t have a rewards program. Did you ask to see the pamphlet about how the “rewards” program works?

You even say a few times you had your doubts, but for whatever reason you didn’t really speak up. You had to have signed some documents. Did you read them?

Regardless, just cancel the credit card. And read what you’re signing up for.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
dealz4all wrote: Just cancel it
broc wrote: Walmart doesn’t have a rewards program. Did you ask to see the pamphlet about how the “rewards” program works?

You even say a few times you had your doubts, but for whatever reason you didn’t really speak up. You had to have signed some documents. Did you read them?

Regardless, just cancel the credit card. And read what you’re signing up for.
I know I know, that's why I said it's easy to see what the best path forward in retrospect is. But I'm still bothered by the fact the cashier assured me it was a "rewards card" and not a "credit card" despite many times.

I will most likely end up cancelling it, but want to be aware if I should expect complications with my credit rating in any how because of the credit check.
I also am looking to register a complaint, and that's where I want to get some advice.
I understand it's easy to pity the fool (mne), but I'm past that, and I am just looking for the best way forward now.
Thanks. I will most likely go through with this anyways, but I'm also looking to understand the implications to my credit rating for immediately applying and cancelling a card. And I also am looking for advice with regards to how best to proceed with a complaint.
Feb 4, 2011
589 posts
375 upvotes
Centurivus wrote: I know I know, that's why I said it's easy to see what the best path forward in retrospect is. But I'm still bothered by the fact the cashier assured me it was a "rewards card" and not a "credit card" despite many times.

I will most likely end up cancelling it, but want to be aware if I should expect complications with my credit rating in any how because of the credit check.
I also am looking to register a complaint, and that's where I want to get some advice.
I understand it's easy to pity the fool (mne), but I'm past that, and I am just looking for the best way forward now.

It depends on whether it was a hard enquiry or soft enquiry
Thanks. I will most likely go through with this anyways, but I'm also looking to understand the implications to my credit rating for immediately applying and cancelling a card. And I also am looking for advice with regards to how best to proceed with a complaint.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
Did you sign anything? If not, you could probably report it as fraud.
If you did, it's on you because you didn't read what you signed. You'll have to take the hit for the inquiry, the signup and the fast cancel.
It's not like it'd be permanent anyways. It'll just hurt for a few months.

EDIT: BBB is useless.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21807 posts
16106 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Centurivus wrote: I also want to make a complaint, but I don't know if it's worth even going into the store for. I think I'm supposed to go through the better business bureau, but I'm still fuming about it right now. I know now that Walmart doesn't have a rewards only card (like how shoppers has an optimum).

Any wise words?
1. Next time you're in the store ask to see the manager. Tell them what happened and how you feel about their business practices. Ask them why you should continue to shop at WalMart. Be polite, Listen to what they say and then decide if you'll ever come back.
2. [Especially if you don't like what you heard in 1.] Contact CBC Go Public. Tell them what you told us. Hopefully this will make national news and embarrass the hell out of WalMart.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 11, 2018
107 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
The cashiers at Walmart gets $4 for each credit card they sell (this was two years ago).
And the number of credit cards they get will act as a performance index for them. Depending on the total number of credit cards, they will get certificates with Gold, Silver or Bronze levels.
No wonder that they use shady tactics to sell the cards.
(Knew some cashiers who got around 6 or 7 credit cards within a day. So effectively they are getting paid for two additional hours each day for the same work)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
OP,

(I mean this in the nicest possible way)

you got EVERYTHING you deserve and MORE!

By you "not wanting to cause trouble" and hesitating to question further, you got entangled in this salesperson's (ahem cashier) tactics.

Gotta learn from this, no?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6916 posts
6370 upvotes
Toronto
Always read what you sign... otherwise, you might face worse issues in the future than just a credit check
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Dec 22, 2007
698 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga
Centurivus wrote: So some of you will be wise in retrospect, but please, bear with me.

So a few days ago I was buying some discount Lego from my local Walmart, and normally I always go through the self-checkout because I don't like talking to people, but this time I went through the Cashier because I wanted to exit through the upper floor exit, and there was only a cash till available at the time.
The Cashier asks me if I have a Walmart Card and I say no. I do not want one. And now I don't remember the exchange fully, but it goes something like this, where I think he mentions that it is just a rewards card. I say to the cashier, "I don't want a Credit Card, but if you have a Rewards Card, then I guess that is okay". And I told the Cashier multiple times, "I don't want a Credit Card. You're telling me that this is only rewards card, right?" He punches it into the machine. I'm still a little confused, but I go with it, because I'm a nice person and don't like to cause trouble. By the end of it, he hands me a reciept and says I'll get mailed the card in a few days. I stand there after the checkout just checking the receipt to see if it mentions anything about a credit card or a rewards card, and it doesn't say anything. I start researching it on my phone. Eventually, I muster up enough courage to talk to the cashier again, "So this is just a rewards card right, and Not a credit card?" and he affirms me yes.

So a few days later (today) I get a card in the mail. I open the package and low and behold it says MASTERCARD.
The cashier probably made up something for my profession and my income level, because he NEVER asked me these, which would've alerted me to the fact that it was a credit card. I did more research and it seems that the rewards card is only a US thing, but it seems that they were both credit cards anyways, and the canadian one is a credit card too. Right now I'm pissed, because I asked the Cashier multiple times to affirm that it wasn't a credit card, and he assured me it was not.

Now I'm sitting here thinking that Walmart has done a credit check on me (lowering my credit score once again) and now I'm holding onto one of the most poorly rated credit cards.
I want to cancel this right away even before activating, but I thought I should reach out to this forum here to see if anyone has some advice for me.

I also want to make a complaint, but I don't know if it's worth even going into the store for. I think I'm supposed to go through the better business bureau, but I'm still fuming about it right now. I know now that Walmart doesn't have a rewards only card (like how shoppers has an optimum).

Any wise words?

(Yes I know now not to commit to anything without reading a schedule of the rates/limits) but at the time I didn't realize they could even sign you up for a credit card WITHOUT you having to fill out a form with your income level and everything.

TLDR:
  • Cashier convinced me Walmart had a rewards card (not credit card) to make a sale.
  • Didn't realize until credit card showed up in mail
  • Probably has already made a dent in my credit rating.
  • Research tells me it's not a very good card/customer service.
  • Want to cancel it before even activating - should I?
  • Want to make a complaint - in store? better business bureau?
Cancel it and move on. You'll waste more time and energy than its worth.. next time don't give any details to anyone at a store for any rewards card and you'll be fine. Also don't believe what a person trying to sell you something says as they do not care about you only themselves.

[*]Cashier convinced me Walmart had a rewards card (not credit card) to make a sale. <-- next time give fake info
[*]Didn't realize until credit card showed up in mail <-- check your papers from the store to see if anything mentions credit card. They should of given you something when you applied for the card
[*]Probably has already made a dent in my credit rating. <--yes you do and your
[*]Research tells me it's not a very good card/customer service. <-- your right but if you have bad credit it can help you longer term
[*]Want to cancel it before even activating - should I? <-- does not matter its already on your credit file
[*]Want to make a complaint - in store? better business bureau? <-- go for it but you will not get anything out of it
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19213 posts
6772 upvotes
Toronto
Complain to the store that the cashier wasn't clear and now you are the victim of that.

Ultimately, it's on you here so just cancel the card and chalk it up as a screw up.

You are on Redflagdeals now, you don't need to sign up for anything in-store lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3486 posts
1166 upvotes
Ontario
Cancel it after you collect your $25 WB.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
[OP]
Mar 12, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
Morning all. Thanks all. Yeah, I recognize that it is a learning experience for me, as a lot of things are. I was quite a bit flustered last night, but I'm a bit more cool-headed now and can tackle the problem in a methodical method.

@death_hawk it's a noteable point. In the long term, this shouldn't matter, and I agree I shouldn't be wasting a huge amount of time on this. I guess I was just fuming yesterday over it, and wasn't thinking as straight as I normally tend to.

@bylo , I don't like to cause that type of attention, so I doubt I will ever go to the CBC Go Public Option. I also feel like I risk feeling the wrath of people who are less understanding and will just throw hate at me. I do like advice with the store manager.

@mario35 Yeah I figured it was some sales incentive. However, yeah the tactics were incredibly shady. I don't know if it was a language problem, but I think that monetary incentive was related.

@marc_t Noted. And I take that, because yes I do deserve it. But I learn from it, in the same way I remember a time when I got signed up for stuff by a door to door with also impressionable sales tactic. (yes let's not talk about that incident either - I've learned and moved on).

@roblombardi That is actually a really good point, and a nice way of spinning my overblowing of the current situation.

@duderaf I'm re-learning that now. It's a fine line I find against being "nice" and "protecting myself". I guess if I had worked in customer service or sales industry I would probably understand the other side of it and why customers always seem to be so rude. I guess I might have to change that tactic, and just be a rude customer. I don't think it pays much to be a "nice" customer -- at least in conglomerates where you as the individual client don't mean very much to the company. Yeah so I'm hearing it's not worth my time with BBB, so then so be it. I think that works better for me.

@DaVibe I will be sure to make a note of it. I fully accept it is a screw up of mine, but am still fully scrutinizing this incident to prevent any future ones from happening.
You are on Redflagdeals now, you don't need to sign up for anything in-store lol
--Hahah Yeah! - -- well aren't some programs generally good under the common consensus? i.e. ebates?

@minimalist oo... though slightly tempting, I don't even think that $25 is worth it to me for the trouble I'd go through, and I just want to get this done/cleaned out and over with.

I do want to thank you all for being helpful! I do like this community, and haven't been very active, but I will try to!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21807 posts
16106 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Centurivus wrote: @bylo , I don't like to cause that type of attention, so I doubt I will ever go to the CBC Go Public Option. I also feel like I risk feeling the wrath of people who are less understanding and will just throw hate at me.
You can request anonymity. When the CBC reports on these sorts of shady practices they like to have a couple of people who they can photograph and name. But they also cite people who requested anonymity. Your email outlining your experiences and requesting anonymity won't result in a news story by itself. But it might (a) spur CBC into doing an investigative piece and/or add to the examples they use in a broader story. Anyway, FWIW.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2794 posts
2073 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Centurivus wrote: @death_hawk it's a noteable point. In the long term, this shouldn't matter, and I agree I shouldn't be wasting a huge amount of time on this.
Umm...according to what you wrote, you were enrolled into a credit card program that you had specifically said you did not want to be in. So you're not wasting any time addressing this issue. The cashier submitted a fraudulent credit card application in your name so yeah...it's worth spending time on.
@bylo , I don't like to cause that type of attention, so I doubt I will ever go to the CBC Go Public Option.
Your choice of course, but stop being so Canadian. :) If the retailer is causing or encouraging this sort of behaviour (even indirectly) it needs to be made public. Of course you do know they can hide your identity, right?
@mario35 Yeah I figured it was some sales incentive. However, yeah the tactics were incredibly shady. I don't know if it was a language problem, but I think that monetary incentive was related.

And that makes it a criminal act and something that's worth spending time on. The cashier received a benefit through deception or misrepresentation. She's done it to you - she's done it to others and will continue to do it as long as she's allowed.
@marc_t Noted. And I take that, because yes I do deserve it. But I learn from it.
I don't think you deserve it but if you signed something without reading it, then you contributed it.
@roblombardi That is actually a really good point, and a nice way of spinning my overblowing of the current situation.
You're not overblowing the situation, but yeah...should have read what you signed. You read all the Ts & Cs for all the software you install too, right? :)
@duderafI guess I might have to change that tactic, and just be a rude customer.
There's a difference between being rude, and being firm. You can say "no, thanks"..."I said I didn't want it, thank you...can we now move on?" and stuff like that, instead of actually being rude.
Yeah so I'm hearing it's not worth my time with BBB,
Honestly? These days, the BBB is a toothless lion. It used to be the place to go for published reviews on retailers. Not any more.
@DaVibe I will be sure to make a note of it. I fully accept it is a screw up of mine, but am still fully scrutinizing this incident to prevent any future ones from happening.

You contributed by not reading what you signed. However, it is not your fault the cashier lied to you in order to get a sign-up and then get money.

Here is what I would do, in order.
  1. Contact the card provider by phone and let them know you were signed up for this card without your informed consent and that you want to cancel the account immediately. If they ask what happened, let them know.
  2. Contact Wal Mart customer service - Facebook or twitter. They also have phone, Email or in-person. Let them know that you specifically told the cashier that you did not want a credit card, but she signed you up anyway and told you it was only a 'rewards' card.
  3. Next time you're in or near that location, ask to speak to the Store Manager. Not just a supervisor. Not the floor, or duty, or assistant manager. The manager. If they're not available, their name and number are usually posted at the customer service desk for your use. Use it. Let the manager know your situation.
A credit card application has an impact on your credit score. While some people have good enough credit scores that it only impacts them a little (and insignificantly) other people have scores that are impacted far worse and it could have a negative impact on credit applications you need - such as car loan, mortgage, etc. If you contact the card company to cancel (and tell them why) they can remove the account without it having too much of an impact on your credit score.
DO NOT just let this go. DO NOT just cancel the account and move on. You owe it to yourself to make sure this is addressed and you will help other people as well, to stop it from happening to them.

Edit: fixed some quote tags
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Dec 4th, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2809 posts
2397 upvotes
Richmond Hill
First cancel the card.
You can complain to Walmart, would say go directly to Canadian Head office.

Those people are pcs of shit.
Last time I was at check out and she ask me do I want the walmart master, I said NO.
she continue: BUT it is FREE!!!!
I said NO, thanks
She: BUT the credit limit start at $3000!!!!!! and is FREE!!!!
No, I don't want it.
She: Can you give me 3 reason why you shouldn't get this master card??

I just left all my stuff there and walked out.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21807 posts
16106 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cheapshopper wrote: She: Can you give me 3 reason why you shouldn't get this master card??
"How about just one? Thanks to your attempts to push this CC down my throat, I'll never shop at WalMart again. So I won't need this CC after all."
I just left all my stuff there and walked out.
If I had the time, I'd stay put and insist that the cashier get the store manager. Then I'd tell the store manager what happened and why I resent it. As loudly as possible. I'm with @ALLCAPS on this point: people need to push back hard at these sorts of practices.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15498 posts
12706 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I don’t usually respond to WalMart threads ...
As I am not shy about saying I am not a fan of this store
OR ANY OF ITS BIZ PRACTICES

(Their STRONG ARM Tactics make me sick ... they are cut-throat with their Suppliers, their Employees, and their Competition ... they put other companies out of business ... the vast wasteland of towns in America with no shopping anymore than a Walmart on the fringe of town, where they’ve raised prices, and cut employee hours & benefits is shameful. They sold American Consumers who needed them the most a HUGE LIE. Truth is the only people SAVING MONEY at WalMart are the Walton Family where just a handful of relatives have MEGA BILLIONS in their bank accounts. It’s shameful. And it’s time Cdns wake up ... before it happens here)

That said...

I was compelled to read this topic because of the title. And i stuck with it cuz you are a Newbie and did a good job describing what’s happened and how you feel about it

Not surprised that you were CONNED into this credit card
Like I said just one more MISREPRESENTATION that WalMart is good for you ... and society
It isn’t

Good posts here by everyone
But I especially want to shout out the last few by @ALLCAPS - @cheapshopper - @bylo
Great info / advice

You were CONNED
Lied to, and ya essentially the Store / Cashier has committed FRAUD
This needs to be reported
If nonwheres else ... at least to the Store Manager

I still haven’t 100% read anywhere that you did sign anything.
Did you ?
Reason I ask is two fold:

1- If you did ... well then it’s somewhat on you ... cuz you should always read anything you sign.

BUT...

2- If you did not ... all the more reason to be angry. And get motivated to PUSH BACK

I have heard ... that there are now cases where some Store Issued Credit Cards DONT require a Credit Check
So could be why you didn’t need to supply employment info, or show your Drivers License, etc
(Ie has a low threshold sign on credit limit ... their thinking is ... you reneg they can eat the $ 500 ... but you get hooked and in most cases with folks who feel obligated to pay ... they stand to make a lot more money in crazy interest charges etc)

I have also heard in the USA, that one can get a Store Credit Card pretty much unknowingly ... like what happened to you
Because of the above NO Credit Check
PLUS in some instances NOTHING TO SIGN

I wasn’t aware this had come to Canada ... or more importantly was now LEGAL HERE ???

That is very concerning to me.

If you didn’t sign anything at the cash ... I certainly would be asking more Questions
Of the Store Manager ... and maybe in the media as @bylo suggested

Cuz if our laws haven’t changed
And YOU SIGNED NOTHING
Then someone else did ... the Cashier
Fraudulently representing you / your signature

And as already stated by others ... they did so cuz Walmart is offering a FINANCIAL INCENTIVE for them to sign up new CC Holders
This tactic is very common ... and in plain sight / earshot when you visit US Stores
Places make Announcements over their PA Systems when NEW SIGNEES are added
“Congratulations to Cashier Bob for making another ABC STORE Customer Happy Today “

As far as I know ... ALL OF THESE AFOREMENTIONED tactics ARE NOT KOSHER (legal ? ) in Canada
Due to our very different Banking, Investment, Commerce etc Laws here vs the more lax ones in the USA

Which is just another reason I had to reply to this topic

WE ARE CANADIAN
And we should all be proud of that fact

We are not just an extension of America
We are an independent country with our own LAWS and ways of doing things etc

It annoys me to no end when some big bully Company like WalMart
Figures they can just come here and do things as they please
And side step the rules cuz they happen to have a lot of money to pay Corporate Lawyers, Fines etc

NO WAY

They break the law either thru tactics, or fraud / employee fraud
Then they need to be held accountable

I definitely would be PUSHING BACK
It’s your CANADIAN RIGHT (obligation) to do so

In the very least ... i’d be rethinking if you want to shop there
If not ... you’ll be joining the growing list of people around the world who have decided not to
Trust me ... you can find a way to live without them
They really aren’t the cheapest alternative all the time as they claim
Being part of RFD you’ll learn other ways to shop / save money
Beyond just being a slave to one store
Last edited by PointsHubby on Dec 4th, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.