[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

Walmart US allegedly suspending trading card game sales

https://bleedingcool.com/games/wal-mart ... ame-sales/
Sources have alleged that Wal-Mart, a huge retailer in the United States and elsewhere across the globe, has ordered vendors not to stock trading cards of any sort for the foreseeable future. This mandate comes after purported "inappropriate customer behavior" and increased demand, though nothing has been said on precisely what that behavior has been.

This particular embargo on trading card game components is an impactful one, and affects all card games including but not limited to:

the Pokémon Trading Card Game
Yu-Gi-Oh
Magic: The Gathering
Digimon Card Game

The list goes on. As we had written roughly a month ago, Target stores across the United States have been bottlenecking their supplies of trading cards, including not only the above non-exhaustive list but also sports cards. Target's mandates are a response to scalpers buying low from them and re-selling high online. However, Wal-Mart's actions might be because of that or because of theft by customers. Again, we do not know the exact ramifications of what constitutes "inappropriate customer behavior" here, but theft is a distinct possibility.

What this means for trading card games across the board is pretty dire. Many local game stores are still shuttered from the COVID-19 pandemic and if big-box stores like Wal-Mart or Target do not carry these cards in locations where local game stores are closed, players will most likely have to resort to online sales in order to get their kicks.

Furthermore, this is likely a response to scalpers buying out Pokémon cards. In Target and Wal-Mart stores, Magic: The Gathering, to provide one example, have been plentiful on their card shelves. As we discussed in a recent op-ed piece, the impact that this sort of mandate has on all trading cards in these stores likely stems from that one game and its collectible nature leading to scalpers buying them out.

Interesting, interesting.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2179 posts
2299 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It's an issue in canada too. Even before covid if you went to walmart to find pokemon cards, theres never anything there, especially ones that contain the booster packs. And on mutiple occasions i've seen other customers asking employees about pokemon cards lol. Apparently it's also one of the most stolen items also
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20837 posts
4995 upvotes
Poormond Hill
At times I would use the washroom closest to the toys department and see open packs of cards.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Jan 22, 2017
431 posts
1370 upvotes
What will the childless weirdos who hang around all day in the toy department do now?
Jul 20, 2017
201 posts
169 upvotes
I don't understand how ANYONE makes money off this either.

If you want anything specific, it's pretty easy to pre-order from local shops for the same prices (usually even cheaper than Walmart which tends to actually be expensive)

AND, they restock new releases often. There is a huge, basically unlimited supply for new releases.

The last time I was at a Walmart, someone was on the phone with their friend and he was telling him everything they got, and they were all packs that were sitting there untouched from 2018-2019 and them buying them all to resale.

If anyone has experience scalping these and thinks I am wrong, please reply or message me, because I don't see any money in this at all. Just hype.
Here to buy stuff I don't need
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8137 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyCatMan wrote: What will the childless weirdos who hang around all day in the toy department do now?
Let them stay on Pokemon, I can't have them invading my collection (of other toys) - it's already bad enough!
Wait it out card lovers, wait it out! ;)
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7700 posts
1011 upvotes
Ottawa
Magic: the Gathering was basically the original "loot boxes"...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3535 posts
1794 upvotes
Waterloo
I've still got all my Pokemon cards from back in the day. I wonder if they're worth much...
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2013
1083 posts
1799 upvotes
Saint John
Trading cards and makeups are shoplifters' favorites.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8137 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: I've still got all my Pokemon cards from back in the day. I wonder if they're worth much...
You're a millionaire!

Haha no, everything is about condition with cards. They have to be graded. So even a great card will come down in price because you have it open or use to play with it. It could still be something.
Try eBay sold listings to get an idea
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Magic: the Gathering was basically the original "loot boxes"...
Damn, I use to pay for all my Magic Cards 20 years ago
I was doing it all wrong
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8137 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Another trading card bubble. Planet Money ran a story about this in 2015, they rereleased it a month ago with an update. https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/98311001 ... tus-update
Hold on a second ... Black Lotus, which was probably a few hundred bucks back in the 90's, is now a multi-thousand dollar card? whoa
I swear it was about $300 at the card stores inside Agincourt Mall (shoutout to anyone that remembers that place!)
RedFlagDeals Addict
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Oh so I was at a Walmart here in Winnipeg the other day and I noticed on my way out that all the trading cards (Sports, Pokemon, MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc) were being kept behind Customer Service.

And this was a Walmart that's in/around a "nicer" area of the city, so while I haven't been in another Walmart since then (not worth it with the current 100-person capacity limits) I can't imagine that being unique to that store.