Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2019 11:30 am
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1767 posts
701 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yau1225 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 9:39 pm
off topic...are you the same AsianXL from revscene? lol

to answer your question...no, the cheaper plans have almost no data. ($35 plan has 1gb)
Thanks! Nope!
Feb 2, 2011
196 posts
56 upvotes
New Westminster
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:29 pm
I may not go with the group buy because I want to legit bill it through the company.

I hate that my Samsung S10 Plus is not dual sim. I don't want to be old two cell McGee here.
If I recall, Vancityguy mentioned in the previous thread - if you have the latest iphone? it has esim capability, And if it is Rogers/Fido/ Lucky? you can ask for an esim, or YMMV in the previous thread , you could ask for or activate an "esim" at the AT & T prepaid store? - not sure how that would would with walmart prepaid AT&T prepaid phone requirement with its physical sim - which means the esim (from Rogers/Fido/Lucky?)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11678 posts
12033 upvotes
Had a pleasant conversation with AT&T USA Philippines call center.

It looks like we have a winner here.
Jan 28, 2017
157 posts
76 upvotes
fsteiner wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:41 pm
I'm with VanCityGuy - and used a B &B address in Oregon, as an address and activated online on the AT&T Prepaid portal the 8gig and 8gig bonus plan. I used the "Brim No F/X fee card, I had to phone in to "BRIM" MC to manually setup a temporary US address ( for 12 months) . Autopaid for $40 usd. on the AT&T portal. The AT&T prepaid sim - I got from vancity guy ( he had bought a few extra sims ). I'll be heading down to Oregon to last week of June/July long weekend to pickup a Walmart AT&T Prepaid phone . If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to join or set up a 2nd vancouver group buy . The same way VanCity Guy has setup 3 months CAD 24 USD converted to CAD ( interact email quarterly)
You can pay with any Canadian credit card - all most vendors care about is that the ZIP code looks legit. To make the ZIP code look legit do this when paying for gas, etc.: put in the 3 digits from your credit card billing address postal code, followed by two zeros. If your postal is L4T 2Z9, you will put in 42900. I paid with my Cdn card when ordering AT&T SIM card online.
Dec 18, 2017
717 posts
1309 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thelordofminers8 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 8:15 pm
Major Canadian telcos are full of cr*p, and this just seems overly complicated. let's support the little telcos! like dotmobile.
dotmobile.app
But dotmobile doesn’t even have a signal yet because they’re still at a proof of concept stage and are soliciting input from the market at the moment.

Do you work for them?
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jan 28, 2017
157 posts
76 upvotes
banker8 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 5:32 pm

Whilst alternate area code options were available for selection in a drop-down list (I didn't go through the list to see all the options), I presume they were all in the SAME U.S. state as my specified delivery address. If that's the case, the selection of a different area code would've had no bearing on the U.S. state tax I'm charged each month.
Nah, if you override the default area code, you can select any state (except of course New Jersey :) )
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11678 posts
12033 upvotes
Nam5588 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:43 pm
Nah, if you override the default area code, you can select any state
I'm going with New York, because I want the feeling of having a New York number... and in my business I get enough New York calls that it won't be weird to call back on one.
(except of course New Jersey :) )
The world mourns.
Jan 17, 2019
156 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:42 pm
But dotmobile doesn’t even have a signal yet because they’re still at a proof of concept stage and are soliciting input from the market at the moment.

Do you work for them?
But you can sign up to reach their goal of 10k, and no I don't work for them, if you look at my other posts you can find that I am under 18, but hey if I could I would work for them cause Canada needs more competition, and I just want to get the word out for small telcos :)
RFD is a h*ll of a drug
Oct 21, 2017
150 posts
83 upvotes
Does anyone know if prepaid works with esim and if you got it to work? I'm getting conflicted answers: https://forums.att.com/t5/Plans-Feature ... -p/5850093

Also, just to be clear, all I have to do is buy an ATT prepaid phone from Walmart off the shelf and activate it online? I don't need to talk to Walmart to have them set up anything? And another thing, if I add another line do I need to purchase another phone or is it 1 phone per account? And on AT&T's prepaid page (https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html) it says "Pay-per-use talk, text, and data in Mexico & Canada", anyone know what this means? It is only checked for this plan.

I apologize if these questions have been answered already.
AT&T 25GB
May 7, 2019
153 posts
78 upvotes
yau1225 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 9:39 pm
to answer your question...no, the cheaper plans have almost no data. ($35 plan has 1gb)

Regardless of data allowances ... only the $50 AT&T plans and above, permit Canada roaming at no cost.
May 7, 2019
153 posts
78 upvotes
sirvar wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:51 pm
it says "Pay-per-use talk, text, and data in Mexico & Canada", anyone know what this means? It is only checked for this plan.

Pay per use roaming in Canada, is only for AT&T plans under $50.

There's no cost for Canada roaming on $50 plans and above.
May 7, 2019
153 posts
78 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:46 pm
I'm going with New York

That makes 2 of us :-)

No-one thinks twice in the GTA about you having a NY based number. So your AT&T NY number is all you need. Just give your NY number directly to all of your contacts. Paying 8% NY state tax isn't such a huge burden.

Then there's no need (as some folk are doing) to stuff around with having calls forwarded to you through unreliable VOIP services ... all because you don't want to give your AT&T number to anyone, because it's based in some obscure tax-free US state. All to save a few dollars.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11678 posts
12033 upvotes
Gentlemen, here's more good news:
  • You calling as an AT&T customer to a Canadian line is free to the caller.
  • Any Rogers caller calling you is free to them (Rogers calls to AT&T customers, and vice versa, are free).
  • You as a Canada-residing AT&T customer still get all free calls to Canada, the US, and Mexico.
You can port your Canadian phone number to a VOIP service and run it off the fat LTE cap without denting your 25GB cap.

I may have sweet talked the AT&T customer service lady on the other end too much, I kept heaping compliments as the perks became clear.

To those fellow New York area coders, it's no longer 'We the North'.

Oct 21, 2017
150 posts
83 upvotes
banker8 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 11:16 pm
Pay per use roaming in Canada, is only for AT&T plans under $50.

There's no cost for Canada roaming on $50 plans and above.
If you check this screenshot from the link in my original post it shows pay per use. I assumed it was for the lowest plan and was mistakenly put on this plan, but I wanted to make sure
AT&T 25GB
May 7, 2019
153 posts
78 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 11:46 pm
Gentlemen, here's more good news:
Any Rogers caller calling you is free to them (Rogers calls to AT&T customers, and vice versa, are free).

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that perk.

That include all of Roger's sub-brands? Can Chatr and Fido customers call us for free as well, without them requiring a US calling plan?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

koneydog