Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 8:49 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3458 posts
3075 upvotes
Muskoka
What is the Elastic calling feature?
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1149 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
techackz wrote: This is what I see. I did get an update today. Maybe it detected I'm on a US network or something.
proplayer44 wrote: And now just turned off data and wifi and the call still worked and it was my Cad # on identi-call.

The TextNow app even showed the "NO DATA CONNECTION" error at the top.

This is very cool.

**** One point to clarify, I'm right near the border and currently connected to an ATT tower.
Maybe to get the voice fallback option to appear is to connect to AT&T tower?
Nov 2, 2018
293 posts
276 upvotes
brucele wrote: Maybe to get the voice fallback option to appear is to connect to AT&T tower?
Why don't you DM @ TextNowHelp on Twitter and Just say your voice fallback option disappeared. They might give you something.
Nov 2, 2018
293 posts
276 upvotes
brucele wrote: Maybe to get the voice fallback option to appear is to connect to AT&T tower?

I don't think so because I've never been to the US with this sim. It was activated in Canada and I've been using it far far away from the border and the option appeared for me.

Maybe someone can try switching to the US google play store under account.

On their website it says you don't need to be a paid subscriber for this feature to work. So there's that too.
Nov 2, 2018
293 posts
276 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: And now just turned off data and wifi and the call still worked and it was my Cad # on identi-call.

The TextNow app even showed the "NO DATA CONNECTION" error at the top.

This is very cool.

I'm on Android.

**** One point to clarify, I'm right near the border and currently connected to an ATT tower.
Yup Same here.

I even made a call to UK and Germany. And it worked. Since TextNow charges $0.00 for these calls.
Apr 17, 2014
911 posts
346 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Another problem with TextNow for me, every once in a while it will drain the battery like crazy.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2867 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
is it possible to get this if i am already an at&t prepaid customer?
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
hdave wrote: is it possible to get this if i am already an at&t prepaid customer?
New activation, port out to a cheap carrier, port back in
Apr 22, 2015
237 posts
72 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
proplayer44 wrote: Anybody try this on Apple?
neptune wrote: I want to know this too...
I have not seen this same behavior on iphones and I have been using it for years now as well. I am on version 9.18 of the app. I hope the feature gets ported over to the ios version of the app
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3458 posts
3075 upvotes
Muskoka
Apple iPhone- maybe that's what is confusing me. I don't have a "Calling" menu under settings. I am also on v9.18.0 so nothing close to what others have been reporting
Koodo
Public Mobile
Nov 2, 2018
293 posts
276 upvotes
spotts01 wrote: Apple iPhone- maybe that's what is confusing me. I don't have a "Calling" menu under settings. I am also on v9.18.0 so nothing close to what others have been reporting
One of you should get in touch with TextNow. Their support is pretty responsive. They don't specifically advertise this feature on a specific platform. Furthermore, TextNow sells iPhones also I'm pretty sure. So it doesn't make sense.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3458 posts
3075 upvotes
Muskoka
doh - double doh - I just realized I was checking for this feature using my PM SIM. You have to have a US based number. I can't check my ATT SIM until later

I did see an article here that explains it
https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/textnow/
Koodo
Public Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)