Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 11:43 am
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
I'm wondering whether ONLY the group admin ("Multi-Line Account Owner" in AT&T speak) needs to buy the Walmart phone, to quality for the 25GB for ALL members in the multi-line group. With other members only needing to have an active AT&T prepaid account (on whatever pre-existing plan).

All account members MUST have an active, pre-existing AT&T prepaid account, to be invited to join the multi-line group. That being said, perhaps they can then be "invited" to join the 25GB plan, without needing to purchase a Walmart phone themselves? As long as the Account Owner has purchased the Walmart phone.

Given that the account owner selects the applicable plan for each member line, and "invites" members to join the multi-line group (on the plan they've been invited to join).

==============================
The way AT&T describes it:

Multi-Line Account Owner:

** Starts the Multi-Line account and invites other AT&T PREPAID users (Members) to join.
** Selects an eligible monthly plan for each Member Line.

Multi-Line Account Member:

** Accepts invitation from Account Owner to join Multi-Line Account.
Jun 21, 2011
659 posts
597 upvotes
Vancouver
proplayer44 wrote: If someone could explain in this thread, step by step how the group buy works that would be very helpful. Please let us know.

Some details,
Who pays who, how does ATT know we are together, what happens when someone doesn't pay, is it all on one credit card, do we need to ship sims?

That kind of stuff.

Thanks.
it's best the refer to the original thread (16GB promo), there is plenty of info from the last deal.

In short for your questions:

Who pays who: All lines on the multi-line account are paid by the main account holder to ATT. In my group, each member will have to pay via e-transfer, and I pay ATT with my credit card.

how does ATT know we are together: not sure about this question....? When you get invited to a group by the admin, you're now "together" as part of the main account.

what happens when someone doesn't pay: all members are required to prepay ahead of time (3 months worth of service at a time in my group), if you don't pay before a certain deadline, you will be permanently removed from the group (you revert back to regular rate).

do we need to ship sims: I don't believe anyone is doing a "GROUP BUY", everyone that is offering to organize the "group" is managing the multi-line account (at least I am). In my group, everyone is responsible to signup for their own line/account, before they join the group for the discounted rate.
Jun 21, 2011
659 posts
597 upvotes
Vancouver
banker8 wrote: I'm wondering whether ONLY the group admin ("Multi-Line Account Owner" in AT&T speak) needs to buy the Walmart phone, to quality for the 25GB for ALL members in the multi-line group. With other members only needing to have an active AT&T prepaid account (on whatever pre-existing plan).

All account members MUST have an active, pre-existing AT&T prepaid account, to be invited to join the multi-line group. That being said, perhaps they can then be "invited" to join the 25GB plan, without needing to purchase a Walmart phone themselves? As long as the Account Owner has purchased the Walmart phone.

Given that the account owner selects the applicable plan for each member line, and "invites" members to join the multi-line group (on the plan they've been invited to join).

** Starts the Multi-Line account and invites other AT&T PREPAID users (Members) to join.

I believe the bonus data is registered to each "line" upon activation if I'm not mistaken, so your theory will not work.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3434 posts
3046 upvotes
Muskoka
banker8 wrote: I'm wondering whether ONLY the group admin ("Multi-Line Account Owner" in AT&T speak) needs to buy the Walmart phone, to quality for the 25GB for ALL members in the multi-line group. With other members only needing to have an active AT&T prepaid account (on whatever pre-existing plan).

From AT&T's standpoint:
Each individual account must be up and running before the invite can go out to join a group. I think you send out the invite using the other party's phone number. So you need to initially open/activate your own account then wait for the instructions to join.

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/openPa ... impDetails
Last edited by spots01 on Jun 14th, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
431 upvotes
Markham, ON
If anyone in the GTA is interested in joining a group, please PM me.
I'm setting 1 up tomorrow (Saturday) morning and want to get everyone lined up tonight .
Mar 14, 2017
259 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: Seriously - would you ever need more than 25 to 33 GB of data, as you'll get every month with this plan?

In most months you'll have a whopping 33 GB of data available - providing you didn't exceed 17 GB of usage in the prior month.

You'll even use less data if you leave AT&T Stream Saver enabled (it's enabled by default), which downgrades all streamed video to SD quality (480p). Which has no marked difference in quality when watched on a small mobile phone screen.

You'll only push those data limits, if you're a "wise guy" and disconnect your home internet service, then use this AT&T plan exclusively for ALL your data usage. In which case you're a leecher ... you'll probably pop up on an AT&T or Rogers network usage report (monitoring performed by the carriers, to identify data usage outliers - particularly those outliers whose usage is exclusively comprised of "roaming") ... once you're on their radar as an "outlier", you'll promptly have your service disconnected.
Ok, I'm intrigued/worried by this. The example you give is extreme, but would something like using a MB/QC plan almost exclusively out of province cause the same concern from a major carrier?
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
221 posts
11 upvotes
Hi! I'm in Toronto and want to get in a group buy or deal. Please PM. Thanks! ☺
Nov 14, 2004
245 posts
135 upvotes
Kelowna
redflagdealsguy wrote: More advice:
Buy the cheapest prepaid flip phone from Walmart, activate the phone, toss the phone in a river and use your preferred unlocked phone.
Just to get some clarity, I read this on the SlickDeals comments thread:
Yes - the phones are all locked until they are scanned at the register when you buy. All those IMEI are flagged as Walmart which is why it takes up to 10 days to get your bonus data the first month and 2 days each month thereafter.

So I take it that you would have to activate the sim card in the Walmart phone. Once that is all set up and you confirm the phone number works and there's no issues, then you can remove the SIM card from the Walmart phone and insert it into your primary phone. Then you can safely toss the Walmart phone into a river. Did I get any part of this incorrect?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12948 posts
13694 upvotes
percy wrote: Just to get some clarity, I read this on the SlickDeals comments thread:
Yes - the phones are all locked until they are scanned at the register when you buy. All those IMEI are flagged as Walmart which is why it takes up to 10 days to get your bonus data the first month and 2 days each month thereafter.

So I take it that you would have to activate the sim card in the Walmart phone. Once that is all set up and you confirm the phone number works and there's no issues, then you can remove the SIM card from the Walmart phone and insert it into your primary phone. Then you can safely toss the Walmart phone into a river. Did I get any part of this incorrect?
That's my only concern, I think the AT&T rep didn't consider that they want you to keep the phone with the SIM for the first little while (maybe up to three months).

I said to her that I thought they only wanted me to buy and activate it, and she must've assumed that was reasonable on the face of it and just agreed. I must've buttered her up too much to seriously investigate.

Worst case you're left with a second burner phone for a little while? Can folks confirm from experience, at what point can I slingshot this burner into Lake Ontario? Immediately after purchase, or after some waiting period?
Nov 14, 2004
245 posts
135 upvotes
Kelowna
redflagdealsguy wrote: That's my only concern, I think the AT&T rep didn't consider that they want you to keep the phone with the SIM for the first little while (maybe up to three months).

I said to her that I thought they only wanted me to buy and activate it, and she must've assumed that was reasonable on the face of it and just agreed. I must've buttered her up too much to seriously investigate.

Worst case you're left with a second burner phone for a little while? Can folks confirm from experience, at what point can I slingshot this burner into Lake Ontario? Immediately after purchase, or after some waiting period?
After you've given your money to Walmart and activated a $50/month plan, I don't think AT&T cares much what you do. Whether you keep/use the junker or switch the SIM into your $1,000 iPhone, both Walmart and AT&T will still end up with the same amount of revenue at the end of the day.

As far as when you can switch the sim card over, someone on the SlickDeals thread said they activated Tuesday June 12 and switched the sim on Wednesday June 13 and and bonus data appeared in their account Friday June 14 just after midnight. So it appears you can switch even before bonus data gets added. I'd play it safe and toss the phone only after the bonus data was confirmed in my account.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12948 posts
13694 upvotes
percy wrote: After you've given your money to Walmart and activated a $50/month plan, I don't think AT&T cares much what you do. Whether you keep/use the junker or switch the SIM into your $1,000 iPhone, both Walmart and AT&T will still end up with the same amount of revenue at the end of the day.

As far as when you can switch the sim card over, someone on the SlickDeals thread said they activated Tuesday June 12 and switched the sim on Wednesday June 13 and and bonus data appeared in their account Friday June 14 just after midnight. So it appears you can switch even before bonus data gets added. I'd play it safe and toss the phone only after the bonus data was confirmed in my account.
Fair enough, so three days, check to confirm the bonus data, swap it for the S10+ and walk confidently after that.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jun 14th, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2015
121 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary, AB
What is the best way to have this plan and retain a virtual Canadian number that can make/receive calls and texts? I still need a Canadian phone number to provide banks, etc as they may have to report you to the IRS if you have a US based phone number.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12948 posts
13694 upvotes
jingjingbub wrote: What is the best way to have this plan and retain a virtual Canadian number that can make/receive calls and texts? I still need a Canadian phone number to provide banks, etc as they may have to report you to the IRS if you have a US based phone number.
1) Get AT&T Prepaid Burner
2) Activate on burner
3) Keep SIM with burner for 3 days
4) Confirm they added bonus data
5) Swap SIM into your real phone
6) Port your Canadian phone number to the best VOIP Service (FONGO?)
7) Get Canadian phone calls on your AT&T-Rogers LTE phone.

Job done.
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
spotts01 wrote: From AT&T's standpoint:
Each individual account must be up and running before the invite can go out to join a group.

Yes, I've said that myself.

But "up and running" doesn't necessarily mean they need to have bought the Walmart phone. Potentially, the account members can be invited to join the multi-line group, whilst belonging to ANY active A&T prepaid plan. This is something that needs to be confirmed.

Remember, when the member accepts the Account Owner's invitation (to join the multi-line group), their plan will change. They will NOT remain on their current plan. Their plan will be converted (upon their acceptance of the invitation), to become the plan they were "invited" by the Account Owner to join.

Of course, the Account Owner (who sends out the invites for the multi-line group) shall definitely need to have bought the Walmart phone.
Last edited by banker8 on Jun 14th, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 7, 2019
175 posts
93 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: I believe the bonus data is registered to each "line" upon activation if I'm not mistaken, so your theory will not work.
You say you "believe". You are guessing. I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Someone who's:

(1) Bought the Walmart phone;
(2) Activated their service, with the SIM inside the Walmart phone;
(3) Confirmed they've received their bonus data - the extra 17 GB;

================================
Then the MOST IMPORTANT step:
================================

(4) Within the AT&T Account Management portal, they've selected the "Start a Multi-Line Account" option, to see what plans are available for them to "invite" other AT&T members to join?:

(4a) Is the invitation they can send, to join the 8GB plan? In which case, each AT&T member they invite, would need to have bought & activated with the Walmart phone, to receive their 17GB of bonus data;

... OR alternatively ...

(4b) Is the invitation they can send, to join the (8GB + 17GB) plan, with the bonus data INCLUDED? Given the Account Owner is on that plan themselves. In which case, each AT&T member they invite, would ONLY need to have an active AT&T prepaid plan (any plan at all) ... they would NOT need to have bought the Walmart phone, as they shall be "invited" by the Account Owner to join the multi-line group with the (8GB + 17GB) plan.

Whoever has bought the Walmart phone ... can you please confirm, for the benefit of us all?