Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 6:10 am
May 7, 2019
184 posts
94 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: or you can signup at the AT&T stores, with the 8gb+8gb bonus data. As I said it's a current promo until July 4 i believe.

Yah, you have that option, if you're cool with the 8GB bonus. As opposed to the larger Walmart 17GB bonus.

If you're content with that option, you don't even need to go to an AT&T store. You can order a SIM online direct from the AT&T website. Complete with a $25 sign-up credit, and no need to buy a phone. The SIM needs to be shipped to your US address.
Apr 17, 2014
911 posts
346 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I'm thinking of buying 3 or 4 of these phones tonight and bringing them back and start my own group. Good idea?

Does the Sim come with the phone?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13767 posts
14157 upvotes
Here's my challenge.

I have 15 corporate wireless lines and hubs through Rogers (some with other carriers).

I'm in a pool where we have 50gb of data, I might use max 25gb on phone LTE, and the rest of the 10 person pool might use 20GB. On wireless hub LTE I use another 25GB through phone alone.

We get competitive rates, AT&T is better, but requires more finagling and the level of sophistication of our users isn't there. The 10 line package was $390 for 22GB per person, and that only makes sense if I do Canadian phone number FONGO VOIP... worse yet is the potential unreliability of VOIP on an LTE connection.

Much to think about.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jun 14th, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
433 upvotes
Markham, ON
proplayer44 wrote: I'm thinking of buying 3 or 4 of these phones tonight and bringing them back and start my own group. Good idea?

Does the Sim come with the phone?
yeah, SIM does come with the phone if I'm not mistaken.
Aug 7, 2015
123 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I don't like the idea of paying taxes on this plan, which you might have to do if you set up Autopay. Instead, I wonder if it's possible to set up Autopay in order to get the $10/month discount, but before the Autopay due date, reload the account with refills from Callingmart, for instance, which actually discounts cards by 2%. Then you not only avoid paying taxes but save even more on the monthly plan.
Nov 14, 2003
319 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
jingjingbub wrote: I don't like the idea of paying taxes on this plan, which you might have to do if you set up Autopay. Instead, I wonder if it's possible to set up Autopay in order to get the $10/month discount, but before the Autopay due date, reload the account with refills from Callingmart, for instance, which actually discounts cards by 2%. Then you not only avoid paying taxes but save even more on the monthly plan.
Yes, that works. I've done it with Target refill cards, bought when the have discounts. No tax, either.
Jan 29, 2008
390 posts
48 upvotes
Random question. Is 25gb enough to use as home internet for 1 person? Thinking of getting this plan and using it as a hotspot for my internet wifi instead of paying for home internet. First time doing internet shopping.

Thanks.
www.havejerseys.com - Vintage throwback movie and hip-hip jerseys. Always high quality, always low prices 😎
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13767 posts
14157 upvotes
fix23 wrote: Random question. Is 25gb enough to use as home internet for 1 person? Thinking of getting this plan and using it as a hotspot for my internet wifi instead of paying for home internet. First time doing internet shopping.

Thanks.
25GB is tight for home internet. AT&T claims they can track the use of mobile hotspot, if that's true, you may be cutoff for abuse.

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Aug 7, 2015
123 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary, AB
fix23 wrote: Random question. Is 25gb enough to use as home internet for 1 person? Thinking of getting this plan and using it as a hotspot for my internet wifi instead of paying for home internet. First time doing internet shopping.

Thanks.
I suspect 25 GB is enough if you're mostly just browsing the internet and seldom stream videos or watch Youtube. You can probably stream music. But once you get into video (more than a few minutes a day) you'd be in trouble.
Apr 1, 2018
34 posts
17 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with using Google voice? Would we be able to use this service to forward and receive calls to the US number?
Sep 21, 2004
10190 posts
4304 upvotes
Calgary
Jaytyn wrote: Does anyone have experience with using Google voice? Would we be able to use this service to forward and receive calls to the US number?
Yes GV works fine.

Also, native iOS and Android Google Voice App can make and receive calls and texts directly; forwarding to a cell phone number is not required.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13767 posts
14157 upvotes
How is FONGO on LTE (for those looking to port their Canadian number)? Should I expect the hallway effect, the rain effect, or the Mr. Roboto effect? How resilient is the audio feed both ways?

COVID-19 Etiquette
Feb 2, 2011
232 posts
68 upvotes
New Westminster
rfduser2019 wrote: Hi all,

Created a new account just to post in this thread. Please forgive me in advance if my post violates any rules. I have used AT&T plan in Canada for a long time. One of the things that I'd like to mention is that in the past I used to buy the AT&T refill codes from Callingmart which does not charge any tax and regularly have upto 10% discount offers (+ 1% in calling mart points). If the calling Mart codes can be combined with the autopay (which I believe they should be) then you could potentially get another 11% off on USD 40 plan and no tax. Anyone planning to buy this plan might want to look into that.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
For those that are setting up the group plan that is acting as administrator that is a great incentive to be one!
Jan 29, 2008
390 posts
48 upvotes
Has anyone figured out a way to port their Canadian phone number for texting? I want to keep my Canadian phone number for texting/calling, especially with iMessage group chats (iPhone). Thanks.
www.havejerseys.com - Vintage throwback movie and hip-hip jerseys. Always high quality, always low prices 😎
Oct 21, 2017
171 posts
101 upvotes
fix23 wrote: Has anyone figured out a way to port their Canadian phone number for texting? I want to keep my Canadian phone number for texting/calling, especially with iMessage group chats (iPhone). Thanks.
you could look into the $180 for 1 year rogers prepaid. gets you unlimited texts, incoming calls, and evenings and weekends free.
AT&T 25GB

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

raviji