Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2020 5:51 pm
Nov 2, 2018
290 posts
270 upvotes
ansher wrote: Thank you for your comment, hoping to hear from others as well but to your point it probably takes a long time to connect for the calling party be cause of the calling path... VoIP.ms --> forward to us number --> finding where it roams --> ringing via Rogers.

I will call myself a few times and confirm your hypothesis...

Really hoping to find a living soul of the forum who was able to roam with rogers on volte. That would be equal wifi calling...
There is a long delay especially if you are forwarding from a VoIP service... by the time your phone rings, it has already rung 3-5 times for the caller... when you finally pick up it goes to AT&T's Voicemail...at least that's what's happening with me. But it doesn't happen if you call the US number directly.

I even called AT&T's customer care to increase the 'Time' it takes before a call goes to voicemail... I believe the rep increased it from 22 to 30 seconds... A minor improvement.
May 6, 2010
56 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote: VoLTE not possible when roaming on this service.
This may be off topic but are there folks here who use att postpaid on a permanent basis in Canada ? Seems more decent than prepaid as it roams on more Canadian networks and capable of volte ... I can switch as one having us credit cards, address etc etc...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1527 posts
294 upvotes
Halton
ansher wrote: This may be off topic but are there folks here who use att postpaid on a permanent basis in Canada ? Seems more decent than prepaid as it roams on more Canadian networks and capable of volte ... I can switch as one having us credit cards, address etc etc...
Are you sure VoLTE works on postpaid? I don't think it does. Its not a limitation of the plan, rather of roaming itself. Maybe technical limitation or contractual restriction.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1886 posts
160 upvotes
Markham, ON
neptune wrote: Are you sure VoLTE works on postpaid? I don't think it does. Its not a limitation of the plan, rather of roaming itself. Maybe technical limitation or contractual restriction.
VoLTE should be working fine on ATT postpaid in Canada (at least on TELUS)
May 6, 2010
56 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
xyztech wrote: VoLTE should be working fine on ATT postpaid in Canada (at least on TELUS)
I tend to agree with xyztech, if prepaid could roam on Telus volte would likely work. I think the current issue is related to rogers not allowing volte with att regardless prepaid or postpaid...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1527 posts
294 upvotes
Halton
xyztech wrote: VoLTE should be working fine on ATT postpaid in Canada (at least on TELUS)
ansher wrote: I tend to agree with xyztech, if prepaid could roam on Telus volte would likely work. I think the current issue is related to rogers not allowing volte with att regardless prepaid or postpaid...
Interesting... I guess thats one of the reasons postpaid costs more? Are there usage restrictions on postpaid? eg: you must have certain percent of usage in the US every month?
May 6, 2010
56 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote: Interesting... I guess thats one of the reasons postpaid costs more? Are there usage restrictions on postpaid? eg: you must have certain percent of usage in the US every month?
That's a million dollar question ! Anyone ?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2858 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
I'm flying down in Dec.
currently on a prepaid unlimited plan, but want to switch to this.

is this correct?
- visit walmart
- buy att prepaid phone
- activate promotional plan
- ensure same area code as my current US number
- keep sim in att prepaid walmart phone
- wait for bonus data to show up

- once data shows up, call ATT and have them move my existing prepaid number to the new plan account?
Jun 2, 2010
455 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
hdave wrote: - ensure same area code as my current US number
Same area code is not necessarily good enough. AT&T requires your number coming in to be in the same zip code:
TheNightOwl wrote:
Your new number to port in MUST be in the same zip code as your current AT&T number or you will lose your bonus data:
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Jul 13, 2005
14 posts
Toronto
For people bought the Alcatel flipphone from Walmart, what size SIM card does it have? Did you cut it in order to fit into iPhone?
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
TheNightOwl wrote: Your new number to port in MUST be in the same zip code as your current AT&T number or you will lose your bonus data:
hdave wrote: I'm flying down in Dec.
currently on a prepaid unlimited plan, but want to switch to this.

is this correct?
- visit walmart
- buy att prepaid phone
- activate promotional plan
- ensure same area code as my current US number
- keep sim in att prepaid walmart phone
- wait for bonus data to show up

- once data shows up, call ATT and have them move my existing prepaid number to the new plan account?
TheNightOwl wrote: Same area code is not necessarily good enough. AT&T requires your number coming in to be in the same zip code:
Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be in the same zip code, but in the same Metropolitan area. It does not need to have the same area code, or even in the same state for that matter. The US has multiple area codes covering the same metropolitan area. 201 and 347 overlap, one is a New Jersey Area Code, one is a New York Area Code, both are part of the New York City Metropolitan Area.

For example, you can port a number with area code 424 from zip code 90210 into a number with area code 310 from zip code 90211, because both numbers are in the same metropolitan area. I believe in this example, it's the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. A more extreme example is a 551 number from 07087 (Union City, NJ) ported into a 347 number from 11208 (Brooklyn, NY), crossing state lines, but sharing the same New York City Metropolitan Area.

You cannot port a number with area code 617 from zip code 02111 into a number with area code 310 from zip code 90211, because they are from two different metropolitan areas (One is Boston Metro Area, the other is LA Metro Area). You will need to do a local market relocation and will lose your bonus as a result. You lose your bonus any time you have to do a relocation, no matter what the reason is for that relocation.

Now, if you already have a number you want to keep, the safest way is to put the same zip code in, but as I mentioned, it's not a necessity as explained above.
Last edited by souledge on Nov 24th, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
javaelk wrote: For people bought the Alcatel flipphone from Walmart, what size SIM card does it have? Did you cut it in order to fit into iPhone?
The old Cingular flip 2 was Nano. I'm assuming the Alcatel is the same, as they share the same device manufacturer. No cutting needed.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
ansher wrote: That's a million dollar question ! Anyone ?
Not that I've seen so far and I've been on this plan since June. Others have been on this way longer than I have.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2858 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a bit confused now...

I have a 302 (Delaware) number.
I forgot the ZIP i had used when originally getting it.
When I check my paygoonline profile, it shows my address as my Canadian address.

What do I need to do to get this number?
Am I better off porting out to google a few days before visiting the US so I can port it back into AT&T when I go to Walmart?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)